Sponsored

Safelite Botched Install Job?

ieatcats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punkn JLUR
Hi Guys,

recently bought a new 2019 JLUR and of course two weeks after purchase got nailed with a rock that cracked the windshield. Safelite told me to bring it in because they had the OEM glass in stock, but once I got there they realized I had ACC and said they had to special order the OEM glass. OK, fine, they messed up by not asking about ACC but it happens. Fast forward a couple weeks and the glass comes in and I head over to have it installed. I get there and they swear up and down that I don't have an appointment that day. After some searching, they find they made my appointment on the other side of Portland, so I get to drive through morning rush hour traffic to the other install location. When they made my appointment, they made no mention of changing the install location. I'm pretty ticked at this point because I'm missing work and having to sit in traffic. When I get there, they check me in and complete the job way faster than they said it should take. At first look, the window looks ok, but as I've been driving around, I've noticed the sealant bead is not uniform at all and bulges out towards the bottom of the window. It's very visible and noticeable from the drivers seat. It also looks like there were air bubbles in the bead and they popped when the glass was pressed down and splattered the sealent over the painted portion of the A piller. I'm not super happy with the job they did, but I'm not sure if I'm being overly picky and this is just the way it is, as I've never had to have a whole windshield replaced.

What do you guys think, should I complain and have it redone? Or is it fine and I should just let it go (since the windshield will probably crack in the next year from another rock).?

168597-6947f0b21f335095c88951607bfa02a9.jpg
168596-e63114c34fdc0c7635ce205ccbb0ba53.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Hi Guys,

recently bought a new 2019 JLUR and of course two weeks after purchase got nailed with a rock that cracked the windshield. Safelite told me to bring it in because they had the OEM glass in stock, but once I got there they realized I had ACC and said they had to special order the OEM glass. OK, fine, they messed up by not asking about ACC but it happens. Fast forward a couple weeks and the glass comes in and I head over to have it installed. I get there and they swear up and down that I don't have an appointment that day. After some searching, they find they made my appointment on the other side of Portland, so I get to drive through morning rush hour traffic to the other install location. When they made my appointment, they made no mention of changing the install location. I'm pretty ticked at this point because I'm missing work and having to sit in traffic. When I get there, they check me in and complete the job way faster than they said it should take. At first look, the window looks ok, but as I've been driving around, I've noticed the sealant bead is not uniform at all and bulges out towards the bottom of the window. It's very visible and noticeable from the drivers seat. It also looks like there were air bubbles in the bead and they popped when the glass was pressed down and splattered the sealent over the painted portion of the A piller. I'm not super happy with the job they did, but I'm not sure if I'm being overly picky and this is just the way it is, as I've never had to have a whole windshield replaced.

What do you guys think, should I complain and have it redone? Or is it fine and I should just let it go (since the windshield will probably crack in the next year from another rock).?

168597-6947f0b21f335095c88951607bfa02a9.jpg
168596-e63114c34fdc0c7635ce205ccbb0ba53.jpg
Iā€™d definitely make them fix it.

gsxr310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have the same issue w the black sealant as well. Had it done July 2018. I was gonna call and have em re-do it but I learned to just live with it. Havenā€™t had any leak problems.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Call them for a warranty issue and theyā€™ll come to you to fix it free of charge. Just had mine replaced by them and they had to replace it again since the first one had a scratch on the inside I wasnā€™t happy with. Schedule it with their mobile service and it wonā€™t cost extra and you donā€™t have to drive all over town.

44789CE3-93A7-4BFB-8A6D-BFF2C4289F36.jpeg

Rebacon

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon JL
Make them fix it, I had my glass replaced a few weeks ago, they messed up the install and could hear air coming through the glass. I could only imagine that water would also come through the poor seal.

Had them replace the glass again, no more issues.

Sponsored

JLAero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Hi Guys,

Do you recall the price for the new windshield? Iā€™ve got a ā€˜19 with ACC, and was told it will take a week to get the OEM windshield in with a cost of $800 installed. Glad I have glass coverage!

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
F that. I'd have them replace it....at your house.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Have them fix it.....

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Uhm. This is nothing. My previous 18 JLUR safelite came, and I watched the guy put deep scratches into the windshield frame - $2k worth of damage.

Cut to my new 19 JLUR with less than 1K miles - guy did the work while I wasnā€™t there after I told him repeatedly what happened first time with last JLUR. 2 days later I go to look at the install and there are scratches all over the window frame and even paint or glue to cover it up - Iā€™m actually at a loss for words.

28B5B06E-4321-4033-B50A-A61E6C6F7F00.jpeg

phranque1673

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue
Noticing in the picture that the little jeep in the corner is missing. Is that only on the factory windshields, or should the replacement ones have it as well?

Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Noticing in the picture that the little jeep in the corner is missing. Is that only on the factory windshields, or should the replacement ones have it as well?
Only OEM replacement glass has the Jeep. How do i know? I'm on windshield #3!!!

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I've been told Safelite doesn't normally use OEM windshields and many times the glass is inferior and prone to braking again. Couple that with the many low cost techs and your not going to get a proper job done every time. Safelite does whatever the insurance company tells them.

81ster

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Looks terrible and is unacceptable...

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
I've been told Safelite doesn't normally use OEM windshields and many times the glass is inferior and prone to braking again. Couple that with the many low cost techs and your not going to get a proper job done every time. Safelite does whatever the insurance company tells them.
Iā€™ve had my windshield replaced twice by safelite. Insurance company asked me if I wanted OEM or aftermarket glass. Both times, it has been replaced by OEM. Both times the safelite tech did a great job. Itā€™s like anything else, there are bad seeds out there but not all.
Sponsored