getlm00

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Hi,

Is it safe to leave the 4xe plugged in for multiple days? Or should I unplug when it fully charges.
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Virtually every battery powered thing (Smartphones, laptops, cameras, cars, etc) in the last handful of years is safe to leave plugged in all the time. The systems inside stop drawing power when it no longer needs to charge.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Hi,

Is it safe to leave the 4xe plugged in for multiple days? Or should I unplug when it fully charges.
Yes, it is okay to leave it plugged in.
If left plugged in while parked then the vehicle can keep the battery temp in the happy zone and will allow the HVB to charge the LVB from time to time. This will ensure that your vehicle is ready to go when you need it.

You can also leave it unplugged without much concern either. It would likely take weeks for the LVB to draw down to a point where it becomes problematic. The two LVB choices for this model are fairly stout for a PHEV so we should be fine either way.

In regards to the 100% state of charge concern. We can't ever charge the battery to 100%. We can only charge to 100% of what is available to us, which appears to be about 85% of the actual physical capacity. So, leaving it plugged in and at full charge isn't as terrible as it sounds.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP

getlm00

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Great, she will be happy in my garage.

Jeep Wrangler JL Safe to leave 4xe plugged in for multiple days 1620237305812

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Great question Getim.

Some great answers.

Does anybody have any documentation from the mothership on this? I don't remember seeing it in the manual. Yes, I read the manual even though my delivery time is supposedly 3 - 5 months away (Canada).

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Great question Getim.

Some great answers.

Does anybody have any documentation from the mothership on this? I don't remember seeing it in the manual. Yes, I read the manual even though my delivery time is supposedly 3 - 5 months away (Canada).
There is a companion booklet with the owner's manual labeled "Hybrid Supplement". Page 7 talks about "Battery Conditioning". Primary focus is with temperature extremes. There is a section with Notes and one of bullet points reads:
"It is recommended that the vehicle be plugged in overnight when possible to maximize the electric range of the vehicle"

Not a direct relation to the OP's question but does demonstrate that leaving is plugged in is desirable vs unplugged.

I am hunting for an electronic copy of that supplement. There was some other useful stuff in there. It said how often the HVB will charge the LVB when left parked for an extended amount of time. Also talked about things that will "wake up" the vehicle. The charge schedule is going to take a bit to wrap my head around. There is a setting called "Charge until Full" and that seems a little bit strange to me.

That power point in the rear cargo area has switched 12v power but can be easily changed to full battery power by moving a fuse from one socket to another. That is pretty cool.

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 TJ (sold), 08 JK Rubicon, 21 4xe Rubicon

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
There is a companion booklet with the owner's manual labeled "Hybrid Supplement". Page 7 talks about "Battery Conditioning". Primary focus is with temperature extremes. There is a section with Notes and one of bullet points reads:
"It is recommended that the vehicle be plugged in overnight when possible to maximize the electric range of the vehicle"

Not a direct relation to the OP's question but does demonstrate that leaving is plugged in is desirable vs unplugged.

I am hunting for an electronic copy of that supplement. There was some other useful stuff in there. It said how often the HVB will charge the LVB when left parked for an extended amount of time. Also talked about things that will "wake up" the vehicle. The charge schedule is going to take a bit to wrap my head around. There is a setting called "Charge until Full" and that seems a little bit strange to me.

That power point in the rear cargo area has switched 12v power but can be easily changed to full battery power by moving a fuse from one socket to another. That is pretty cool.
The charge until full setting is for when you have a schedule set, you can set it to charge from 11pm to 1am and it will stop charging at 1am, or charge until full so at 11pm it will start charging and charge until full even if it takes the charge time past 1am.
Sponsored