Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Car makers went metric a long time ago.

It’s the aftermarket accessories, particularly those built in the USA, that piss me off by continuing to use imperial fasteners. Get with the program, you guys! I don’t want to carry SAE wrenches just because you were too inconsiderate to use the same fasteners the factory does.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Car makers went metric a long time ago.

It’s the aftermarket accessories, particularly those built in the USA, that piss me off by continuing to use imperial fasteners. Get with the program, you guys! I don’t want to carry SAE wrenches just because you were too inconsiderate to use the same fasteners the factory does.
maybe @JCR could do this. My buds JCR rear bumper and tire cart has SAE fasteners. It is fucking stupid. Jeep has been metric for what 20 + years or so.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
maybe @JCR could do this. My buds JCR rear bumper and tire cart has SAE fasteners. It is fucking stupid. Jeep has been metric for what 20 + years or so.
Yeah, Rusty’s is no better. Don’t get me wrong, I like their stuff. But my skid plate has metric fasteners where it interfaces the Jeep chassis, and SAE where the skid plate components bolt together. All supplied by them. :mad:

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
There are two things that is not metric when it comes to Jeeps (and every other car on the planet). The wheel diameter and width. Yet the offset is in metric. I am not counting the speedo, fluid levels and temps.

What's funny is when a GM car comes in and something like a 2018 Equinox has "metric" stamped on the lug nuts.

In my toolbox, the left side of the sockets is metric (same for the wrenches). Thus, right side is dusty and never used until some dude come in with something from the 70's or we have to work on something like the compressor or hoist that was installed 50 years ago. I forgot, the old waste oil heater that's from 1980 is not metric.

Reactions: J0E

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
It is straight up stupid. To change the tire on my buds jeep, you need a 22mm to pull the wheel off the jeep and then a 3/4 to remove the wheel off the spare tire carrier. We carry extra lug nuts with us because they are easy to loose when you have to change a tire in off road situation so he also has to Cary two different types of lug nuts.

Straight up irritating

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yeah, Rusty’s is no better. Don’t get me wrong, I like their stuff. But my skid plate has metric fasteners where it interfaces the Jeep chassis, and SAE where the skid plate components bolt together. All supplied by them. :mad:
I don't understand some of the aftermarket. It's not like it's hard to buy metric fasteners, yet I see that for some goofball reason the Engineers at these companies spec out SAE for just their stuff. If you really want to have fun with fasteners, work on something like a 1980's era Formula car. It'll be BS, SAE and Metric. They even make step studs for a Ralt41 that goes from M8 to 5/16. Then BMW Motorsport tie rods on an e46 Touring car are SAE on one end and metric on the other. Don't even get me started on brake line fittings. That's a disaster.

Reactions: J0E

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
And then there is the good old Whitworth system from Old Blighty.. I've owned a few cars that used this system.

A Whitworth wrench is sized according to the diameter of the shank of the bolt, not the head. A 1/4 W (Whitworth) wrench is actually a bit larger than a 1/2″ American wrench—0.525″ to 0.500″. As if that wasn't enough, in 1924 it was decided that the heads of the Whitworth bolts were too large, so they were down-sized.
Sponsored