Sponsored

Sad to see the eTorque go

flanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2021
Is anyone else sad to see the eTorque go?

Everyone complains about the added complexity. I'd argue the non-eTorque with ESS has similar complexity. They have an aux battery that connects to the starter. The eTorque just has a bigger battery connected to the 'alternator' that can now run backwards. Ignoring the extra coolant lines and the 48V DC-DC converter, they don't seem that different, except increased wear on the starter for the non-eTorque.

But now with the eTorque, we get
  • Reduced wear on the brake pads because of regenerative braking
  • Smoother shifts and decreased wear on the engine thanks to the bsg helping at the RPM jumps
  • 90 lbsft of torque from idle!

It seems to me the non-eTorque with ESS has most of the downsides without anything in return. eTorque at least gives you something for the extra stuff under the hood. I'm glad I got my eTorque.
Sponsored

OP
OP
flanders

flanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2021
It is too bad they didn't keep it longer. There are some aftermarket parts that won't work with the eTorque that manufacturers probably won't spend their time on now. Not to mention that parts might be harder to find down the road.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

eTorque has been fantastic for me, and from what I have read I don't want the ESS two battery system

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
I'm a big eTorque fan boy. I love mine, it has worked perfectly and NO Aux battery buried in the engine compartment. Very sorry to see it go along with no 3.6 with auto on the new Willys. I was hoping to get through my entire driving life without a 4 banger, but my manual days are through so looks like I'm keeping my 21 for a long time.

G.

Sponsored

jc1003

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara, 2019 Pacifica, 2016 CX-9, 2023 Hornet
Occupation
IT
So 2024 Wrangler only 2.0 and 392?

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
My understanding is that eTorque is gone and the only options for the Willys are 2.0 Auto or the 3.6 Manual with ESS (Aux Battery). I think you can get a Rubi with the 3.6 and Auto, but no eTorque.

G.

jo_xj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Agreed. I've been very satisfied with my decision to get the 3.6 eTorque for my 2023 JLU Willys. I did a lot of research (mostly on this forum) and went back and forth between the 2.0 turbo and 3.6 eTorque for a long time, but in the end went with the eTorque and I've been happy with it for the last 2 months of ownership.

The reality is that most of the complaints about the eTorque I've seen are potential/possible issues that could arise due to the "complexity" of the system, all the while most of the real problems we see posted here are about the non-eTorque ESS system and battery setup.

Even knowing now that mine might be the last year and that aftermarket support might diminish in the future, I'd still choose the eTorque. It sounds beautiful on startup, accelerates great, the stop/start works seamlessly, and best of all I don't have to worry about the aux battery.

Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
The manual only ever had the ESS. I’m guessing it makes more dollars sense to keep the manual and settle on the ESS as the only option, versus keeping both the e-torque and ESS (the case til now) or reconfiguring the e-torque for the manual. But what do I know. The push is heavily toward the 2.0 4 cylinder, and next gen maybe the hurricane. Overall might have been two many engine variants at the end of the day. The number of power plants for the JL has seemed like a lot. There was a 2.0 etorque for a while, if memory serves. The good news (for the adventurous) is that the ESS 6 is the only one served by after market for superchargers and most tunes. So..enjoy

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
I don't mind having ESS. I have a dongle plugged in behind the ESS button that remembers my last setting (OFF). The aux battery just provides extra battery capacity with ESS always turned off. I can remove the battery if I don't want it, or when it finally goes bad. Hello, weight savings!

I'm not against hybrids or EV's at all, but personally I don't want to buy into hybrid or EV tech just yet. It becomes quickly obsolete as things advance, eTorque being yet another example. It has its purpose and some people enjoy the benefits. Nothing wrong with that. For now, I think it adds a lot of complexity and expense that many buyers weren't enthusiastic about.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
So 2024 Wrangler only 2.0 and 392?
I guess I’m also in the dark. When did they drop the etorque?
Nope we are in luck! You can finally get the wonderful 3.6 with the Auto trans and no E-Torque again! That hasn't been possible for a few years. I think that is great and glad E-Torque isn't mandatory any longer on 3.6 with the Auto.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I don't mind having ESS. I have a dongle plugged in behind the ESS button that remembers my last setting (OFF). The aux battery just provides extra battery capacity with ESS always turned off. I can remove the battery if I don't want it, or when it finally goes bad. Hello, weight savings!

I'm not against hybrids or EV's at all, but personally I don't want to buy into hybrid or EV tech just yet. It becomes quickly obsolete as things advance, eTorque being yet another example. It has its purpose and some people enjoy the benefits. Nothing wrong with that. For now, I think it adds a lot of complexity and expense that many buyers weren't enthusiastic about.
That is the beauty of eTorque, so smooth and simple you don’t have to modify or disable it, it simply works as designed.
No Aux battery to mess with or leave you stranded. Smooth as butter
Sponsored