Sad news. RIP Jessi Combs

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Ok, I'm willing to bet a lot of you watched eXtreme 4x4 or All Girls Garage or Overhaulin and know Jessi Combs. Well, I just read she died yesterday trying to set a land speed record. I'm beyond words right now, she was one tough, smart, and determined lady that did a lot of off roading. RIP Jessi, you will be missed!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Ok. First, this is tragic.

Second: I admit ignorance. But this said, with today's technology, where drones can be piloted by satellite from pilots literally in another part of the world, can't land speed records be more about the engineer than the driver?

What I mean to say is go design your rocket car. Be my guest. But pilot it remotely via tech and cameras, so if things go sideways, you don't die.

And sure, things like NASCAR just wouldn't be the same without car driver's being behind the wheel. I get that. But land speed records?

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
R.I.P. Jesse. Wife and I were a fan of Xtreme 4x4 when her and Ian had the show. She died pursuing a dream. Better than how most of us will go.

:beer:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Second: I admit ignorance. But this said, with today's technology, where drones can be piloted by satellite from pilots literally in another part of the world, can't land speed records be more about the engineer than the driver?

What I mean to say is go design your rocket car. Be my guest. But pilot it remotely via tech and cameras, so if things go sideways, you don't die.

And sure, things like NASCAR just wouldn't be the same without car driver's being behind the wheel. I get that. But land speed records?
Im sure if given the option she would still prefer to be in the drivers seat even with the risk of a fatal injury. Some people live for the excitement and adventure.

Godspeed to her and may she r.i.p.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

check her last IG post before that run, she went to that fire willingly

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
check her last IG post before that run, she went to that fire willingly
She went into that land speed record attempt willingly, knowing there was risk she could die. I don't mean to be picky, but she would have opted out--as we would hope and suspect--from something likely to be known as suicide mission before the fact.

As to Steve's point @JLUin818 about assumption of risk and people's choices I get that. But here again, technology has brought us into a world where we can pilot real and virtual things, and still get plenty of an adrenalin high, despite being able to walk away if the events go sideways.

Plenty a pilot walked out of a simulator with shirt ringing wet from sweat practicing all sorts of aeronautical situations, from crash and water landings, to simulated screwed up airplane equipment. You can, with such simulations (each passing year more life like in the hands of consumers) and ability to control real gear remotely, have your cake and eat it too: adrenaline rush and life.

I envision a future world somewhat like a scene in the movie I Robot where Will Smith's character is reprimanded by a superior for a high speed vehicle drive in which autopilot wasn't engaged.

My hat goes off to people who took such risks for the purposes of, or in so doing helped their countries or a war effort (e.g. Eugene Burton and the birth of aircraft carrier landings.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Burton_Ely

My hat also goes off to Ms. Combs, who pursuing a dream likely died instantenously with (I hope) little awareness or pain: better than most of us. But we are forced to admit the loss was while chasing glory, which while commendable, also wasn't for a higher cause.

May she rest in peace but may we also put this in context despite the profoundness of the loss and our identification with her from media. She didn't die fighting a protracted bought of cancer she didn't opt into.

BroncoWranglerski

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to miss her. She was a Bad-Ass young lady. Her talents were already legendary at a young age. RIP Jessi.
jessiecombs.jpg
Sponsored