Sponsored

S&B hood scoops? Cold Air Intake improvement

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Mixed feelings here. On the plus side, they look great. It seems that if they were run exclusively as scoops, and not to the CAI, they would circulate a decent amount of air. Spider makes a vent system, too, but these look much better, IMHO.

Using these with a CAI seemingly would require that you use the covers every time it rained, at least on the passenger side, otherwise water would get into the intake. I just don't know if their CAI is designed with a drain of some sort, or if the water amount would be insignificant. Since they're providing covers, I'm guessing it could be an issue if neglected during heavy rain storms while traveling.

The other option is to simply cut the hood insulation as they demonstrated and dremel out the bottom section of the stock "non-functional" scoops. Using the S&B Scoops or cutting the stock ones each introduce water into the engine bay. I guess it depends on what potential issues would exist with water coming in over the long run, because I could easily see adding/removing the covers becoming a nuisance, and I'd likely lose one!

Really like the look and the concept, though I'd probably only use the scoops by themselves. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
MichaelAnthony

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with just using them independently.... not a fan of S&B.... myself I was planning on going with AFE..... as far as CAI is concerned and exhaust.
Sponsored