Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
What @40”JLURD said. The scoops are the only thing that will work with the Rubicon diesel models currently.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tech Tim

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team

Sponsored

LostSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
future JLUR
While it may not look as cool ( yes pun intended), instead of forced air scoops, would reversed scoops ( cowl induction) have provided the same amount of temperature relief and possibly prevent significantly less direct water input into the engine bay?

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
While it may not look as cool ( yes pun intended), instead of forced air scoops, would reversed scoops ( cowl induction) have provided the same amount of temperature relief and possibly prevent significantly less direct water input into the engine bay?
For cowl induction to actually work, the vent has to be significantly closer to the windshield and the vehicle has to be traveling at speed or else there wouldnt actually be a cowl induction affect but you are right in that reversing the scoops would have provided some level of temperature relief.

If you were to put a vent by the windshield, it would most likely create quite a bit of turbulence from the air coming in from the front of the Jeep and create a negligible heat reduction in the engine bay at best.

The side vents on our hoods are perfect for dissipating heat during driving because all the air flowing through the engine bay has a way to escape other than hitting the firewall and being directed towards the ground. Their location also avoids the possibility of additional turbulence in the engine bay from cowl induction.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I really like the idea of having a true CAI that is connected to a hood vent especially on my Rubicon so I don't have to mess up my decal, but to your point, I also am concerned about water intrusion directly into the compartment from the forward facing vents. I live in Florida, it rains all the time, and it's driving rain so there is no getting away from it.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
I really like the idea of having a true CAI that is connected to a hood vent especially on my Rubicon so I don't have to mess up my decal, but to your point, I also am concerned about water intrusion directly into the compartment from the forward facing vents. I live in Florida, it rains all the time, and it's driving rain so there is no getting away from it.
I wouldnt be worried about water intrusion UNLESS you are forwarding through water. The factory air box requires the air to travel up through the filter so water molecules in the air have a very small chance of ever making it to the filter given the path the air has to travel to get there. Furthermore the newer (possibly older models too) have a duct that funnels air from the front facia to the airbox pre chamber so its almost the same thing.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I wouldnt be worried about water intrusion UNLESS you are forwarding through water. The factory air box requires the air to travel up through the filter so water molecules in the air have a very small chance of ever making it to the filter given the path the air has to travel to get there. Furthermore the newer (possibly older models too) have a duct that funnels air from the front facia to the airbox pre chamber so its almost the same thing.
If water goes in the hood scoop can't it follow the same path as the air and drop right into the air intake?

Jeep Wrangler JL S&B Filters Hood Scoops for your Rubicon Hood - DIY Install video afortqnhz9lebvxdx6ts

Sponsored

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
If water goes in the hood scoop can't it follow the same path as the air and drop right into the air intake?

Jeep Wrangler JL S&B Filters Hood Scoops for your Rubicon Hood - DIY Install video afortqnhz9lebvxdx6ts
Im sorry. My comment was based on a factory air box. In the case above, I believe S&B designed it so that the water would drain out from that nipple just before reaching the opening to the top of their air box but I really cant speak for their engineering department as to the rate of water this design can handle.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Im sorry. My comment was based on a factory air box. In the case above, I believe S&B designed it so that the water would drain out from that nipple just before reaching the opening to the top of their air box but I really cant speak for their engineering department as to the rate of water this design can handle.
That makes sense I'd be interested in this option if that's the case. Thanks for the info!

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I did a lot of research on these scoops before I bought mine and I seem to recall people saying that with the setup above, water DID make it into the filter box although it wasn't enough to cause problems. Take from that what you will.

Edit: Obviously, this is w/o the plugs.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I did a lot of research on these scoops before I bought mine and I seem to recall people saying that with the setup above, water DID make it into the filter box although it wasn't enough to cause problems. Take from that what you will.

Edit: Obviously, this is w/o the plugs.
Good info, I'm not sure I want any water in there. May consider Banks.

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I have been considering these for a while. I am still not quite convinced. One of the things that bothers me (not getting the CAI for my 2.0T) is the passenger side proximity to the electrical. If it dumps rain, water will get in and it's directly over the fuse box and batteries. The driver side looks just fine. I think, for now at least, I am going to take the OEM fake vent and cut the driver side only so the electrical is "dry" and safe. I am in AZ so not much rain but I do hit the car wash after a weekend in the dust.

As far as cooling the engine goes, and the fan blowing like crazy, for the same money I put in DV8 mesh fender panels and made this video () and I can tell you that my fan rarely runs, even when wheeling in 100 degree AZ desert climbing up walls. Are high 190's rare to see over 200, even on my latest 14hr trip.

Additionally, get out on the highway and turn your windshield washers on the air flow on the hood is terrible, we are driving a brick with a flat grill :) How much air will actually ram is debatable, it is surely not like the S&B site with a 60mph wind fan duct taped to it.

IMHO the DV8 fender liners were a better functional purchase. I cant lie, I like the hood scoops but for the money, I need more ROI. Just my $.02.
Sponsored