First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Ready to make your non-functional hood a little more functional?

We got the chance to install a set of the S&B Filters Hood Scoops on a Rubicon hood last Friday and shot a how-to install video:

S&B Filters Air Hood Scoop System: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/hood-accessories/as-1014-s-b-filters-air-hood-scoop-system

S&B Filters Air Hood Scoops ONLY Kit: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/hood-accessories/as-1015-s-b-filters-air-hood-scoops-only-kit

S&B Filters Cold Air Intake kit w/ cotton filter: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/intake-systems/75-5121-s-b-cold-air-intake-cotton-filter

Jeep Wrangler JL S&B Filters Hood Scoops for your Rubicon Hood - DIY Install video SBFilters-Hood-Scoo
Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Maybe a dumb question, but if you install just the scoops as shown in the video, could rain cause any issues to the engine. I'm aware of the scoop plugs that come with it, but what if you were to get caught in a down pour on the highway? Especially the 2.0.

I've always wondered this as the only car I've ever had with a functional hood scoop connected directly to the intake and had a method to eliminate water before it reached the intake. I'm specifically talking about the situation with just the scoops, where it would just be a scoop that lets air (and water) into the engine bay without actually connecting directly to an intake system.

Last edited:

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Ready to make your non-functional hood a little more functional?

We got the chance to install a set of the S&B Filters Hood Scoops on a Rubicon hood last Friday and shot a how-to install video:

S&B Filters Air Hood Scoop System: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/hood-accessories/as-1014-s-b-filters-air-hood-scoop-system

S&B Filters Air Hood Scoops ONLY Kit: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/hood-accessories/as-1015-s-b-filters-air-hood-scoops-only-kit

S&B Filters Cold Air Intake kit w/ cotton filter: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/intake-systems/75-5121-s-b-cold-air-intake-cotton-filter

Jeep Wrangler JL S&B Filters Hood Scoops for your Rubicon Hood - DIY Install video SBFilters-Hood-Scoo
Need some solenoid operated louvers, unless regular rain wont cause any harm. Living in WA state where it rains every other day.

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Maybe a dumb question, but if you install just the scoops as shown in the video, could rain cause any issues to the engine. I'm aware of the scoop plugs that come with it, but what if you were to get caught in a down pour on the highway? Especially the 2.0.

I've always wondered this as the only car I've ever had with a functional hood scoop connected directly to the intake and had a method to eliminate water before it reached the intake. I'm specifically talking about the situation with just the scoops, where it would just be a scoop that lets air (and water) into the engine bay without actually connecting directly to an intake system.
Need some solenoid operated louvers, unless regular rain wont cause any harm. Living in WA state where it rains every other day.

Rain is definitely a concern of ours and the plugs are in the glovebox in case we need to install them.

The inner panel has a raised lip that will help channel rainwater away from the air inlet, then there is a small water sump and drain on the underside that will allow any water to escape.

We sprayed water with a hose directly at the scoops and water does find its way down to the filter. But we are also spraying water directly at it, dynamics are a bit different when driving down the road with the airflow moving through the scoops.

We're waiting on some decent rain to fully test them, so far we've just had some light rain, haven't been able to get them out in a downpour.

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Rain is definitely a concern of ours and the plugs are in the glovebox in case we need to install them.

The inner panel has a raised lip that will help channel rainwater away from the air inlet, then there is a small water sump and drain on the underside that will allow any water to escape.

We sprayed water with a hose directly at the scoops and water does find its way down to the filter. But we are also spraying water directly at it, dynamics are a bit different when driving down the road with the airflow moving through the scoops.

We're waiting on some decent rain to fully test them, so far we've just had some light rain, haven't been able to get them out in a downpour.
Thanks for the response. Please keep us updated on what you find.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Installed the S&B Hood air scoops today.
Pretty easy to install, definitely want to cover the engine with a drop cloth as the provided screws are small and easy to get lost if dropped.

20200613_133405.jpg

20200613_133618.jpg

20200613_131114.jpg

20200613_131936.jpg

20200613_122421.jpg

20200613_124933.jpg

20200613_125625.jpg

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Installed the S&B Hood air scoops today.
Pretty easy to install, definitely want to cover the engine with a drop cloth as the provided screws are small and easy to get lost if dropped.

20200613_133405.jpg

20200613_133618.jpg

20200613_131114.jpg

20200613_131936.jpg

20200613_122421.jpg

20200613_124933.jpg

20200613_125625.jpg
Wasn’t sure how I felt about these but the more I see the more I like them. Did you do the install without removing the entire silencer pad? Also let me know how much water gets into the engine bay with these in rain/car washing.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Wasn’t sure how I felt about these but the more I see the more I like them. Did you do the install without removing the entire silencer pad? Also let me know how much water gets into the engine bay with these in rain/car washing.
I didn't remove the pad completely, I did remove the plastic plugs along the bottom, sides and middle, just so I could get my arm in to release the old fasteners and remove the old vents.
That insulating blanket is 1/4 " and fragile.
Drove it in and downpour today and didn't notice any water on the engine.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
While I'm still a little on the fence about the looks, I went ahead and installed the scoops (scoops only) to see if they provided any noticeable cooling effect. I ordered a new silencer pad for around $30, so I can always go back to stock if I want to.

I've had them on for about two days in 95 degree GA weather with 10,000% humidity. I haven't really noticed a difference in the temp readout on the display, but one thing I have definitely noticed is that my loudass fan almost never comes on anymore. I don't think I've heard it since I put the scoops on. And I'm a frequent windows down, no AC guy, so I always hear that damn Boeing-sourced fan spooling up for takeoff.

I'll go a few more days and see if the fan use is indeed reduced, and will see how they do in rain.

Jeep Wrangler JL S&B Filters Hood Scoops for your Rubicon Hood - DIY Install video 1594569183209

Sponsored

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
I haven't really noticed a difference in the temp readout on the display, but one thing I have definitely noticed is that my loudass fan almost never comes on anymore.
Hmmm, that's almost worth the cost of admission right there.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase

I ask myself the same question

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Hmmm, that's almost worth the cost of admission right there.
Drive home from work is about 10 miles and a mixture of 70+ mph highway and bumper to bumper streets. Outside temp ranged from 92-95. Fan didn't come on once.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I’ve had mine installed for over 2 months and I love the look and plenty of heat comes out. I got rid of the hood silencer pad months ago, I hate those.

Since installing the S&B scoops I have not experienced more than a few drops of water in the engine compartment. The bottom retainer has a lip around it which traps 99% of any water coming in. I hooked two hoses to the underside drain holes but didn’t need to.

I did not add the air to intake parts as ramming air into an engine through scoops doesn’t amount to much unless you’re cruising at 70+ mph.

If you decide to waxyour hood, make sure you tape around them as the surface is quite porous and would discolor if wax got into them.

I recommend them based on heat exchange, looks and build quality.

Charlie