Vehicle Showcase

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you guys think 50.2% increased airflow (which is still likely to be inflated) and reduced fuel flow at the injectors is going to simultaneously occur, then I'd suggest Googling the term "stoichiometric ratio". It ain't happnin'.

It's impossible to achieve better MPGs with a "cold air intake" kit.

It's also unlikely to see any worthwhile gains on a kit that doesn't require new tuning. If the MAF sensor is still happy with the air coming in, then what that means is there isn't much additional air coming in. Period. Point blank.

If you like the noise, go for it. They do sound good. But don't buy one of these expecting big power gains or any MPG improvement.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
So I wasn’t going to chime in but I will, did you watch the video on this intake for the 2.0L JL? This intake is going to flow better than the factory intake. On a turbo motor Air equals happy motor as that’s how they are designed to run. Now on a Normally aspirated motor maybe not as much.

If you don’t like it don’t do it period point blank.
Did you watch the video I posted above? It's not all about airflow, it's about air density delivered to the intake (temperature, humidity, & pressure). This is true for all internal combustion engines. A better flowing intake may not make more power if the trade off is higher temperature.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
If you guys think 50.2% increased airflow (which is still likely to be inflated) and reduced fuel flow at the injectors is going to simultaneously occur, then I'd suggest Googling the term "stoichiometric ratio". It ain't happnin'.
I don't follow, can you please explain? If the engine is able to take any advantage of the extra/cooler airflow, and WOT is still open loop, wouldn't that automatically produce a leaner burn?

It's impossible to achieve better MPGs with a "cold air intake" kit.
That's a pretty bold and blanket statement, but I don't think that it is flat out impossible. Under certain conditions if your intake temperatures dropped enough, you could expect that any ECU controlled motor would be able to produce more torque due to the ECU advancing the ignition. If you are able to produce more torque, less RPMs are needed for the same equivalent power. Lower RPMs could mean lower pumping losses depending on motor design. The decrease in pumping loss could have more benefit than the increased fuel needed from the denser intake charge, resulting in more MPG.

If the MAF sensor is still happy with the air coming in, then what that means is there isn't much additional air coming in. Period. Point blank.
Do you have any data to back up this claim? Peak airflow of the OEM engine or maximum airflow of the MAF sensor? To be honest I wasn't even aware the engine had a MAF sensor, and assumed that it was tuned off the MAP sensor.

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
Just got done installing the S&B intake. Don’t notice a power gain but spools a lot faster...maybe because i can now hear the turbo. Screams pretty good.

26DDF8AD-3B7F-4DCA-8F4B-74B1BDCA6744.jpeg

4BCAE13A-67CC-4A29-AFF9-360EC164A3C4.jpeg
Looks great under the hood! Feel free to take a video so we can hear some fun turbo sounds!;)

Sponsored

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
They look great, too bad I blew all my mod money on other things... I'll have to wait till next month!!!

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I’m almost ready to pull the trigger.. where did you guys get yours and did you get any discounts?
Sponsored