S.A.D. Roof Rack with ladder (pics) and questions about fitting

Mr_nico

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2.0T 2019
I havent had my JL long so I'm still choosing the parts I want however roof racks have always been a problem I didnt know how to solve as I dont want to drill or cut my roof, would love a Gobi rack but the cost to the UK for racks is fairly obscene if not supplied from a UK supplier (and even then its a huge amount more than the US pays for due to import duty and tax and middle man proffits ontop of shipping)

I previously saw a roof rack I liked advertised around the web but never saw it listed on any 4x4 suppliers in the US or the UK (where I live) and found it was supplied from China so pretty much ignored it since the available information was limited and all listings were for a JL but showed pictures mounted to a JK. Recently a reputable UK 4x4 supplier has started to sell the unit (around 4 times that of the price from china). The wrack seems to be branded as SAD (South african diamond) and seems to be common in Australia and parts of SA (plus china...).

Anyway my questions are... 1) has anyone here used or seen it? 2) are the JL hard top mount points the same as the where it meets above the rear wheels? (looks like the bracket stretches the full length.

I kinda like the look of this as I would theorise that the rack can support more weight being connected and partially supported to the roof mounts rather than all the weight being on the gutter... the price point is not bad either and the option to fit the recommended rugged ridge cubes is nice too as is the ladder inclusion.

my concerns are (along side the quality worries from china) that they may not have taken into consideration that the JL gutter continues all the way back and that the mount points are potentially different (although they do list 2007-2018 and 2018-present versions (admittedly at the same price point). Now I'm not likely to be the first to invest from the 4x4 supplier at the price point they offer it but if all the mount points are potentially the same I'd consider shipping direct from china as even with import duty it would be a more suitable cost to risk... their supply of a JL fitted version is a positive but all the images always showing JK's is a worry.

here are some pics:
Stealth-Rack---Heavy-Duty-Low-Profile-Roof-Rack-4-Door_1555298547_1350.jpg
Stealth-Rack---Heavy-Duty-Low-Profile-Roof-Rack-4-Door_1553914844_1349.jpg
Stealth-Rack---Heavy-Duty-Low-Profile-Roof-Rack-4-Door_1553914844_1348.jpg
Stealth-Rack---Heavy-Duty-Low-Profile-Roof-Rack-4-Door_1553914843_1347.jpg
Stealth-Rack---Heavy-Duty-Low-Profile-Roof-Rack-4-Door_1553914839_1341.jpg
Stealth-Rack---Heavy-Duty-Low-Profile-Roof-Rack-4-Door_1553914843_1344.jpg
Stealth-Rack---Heavy-Duty-Low-Profile-Roof-Rack-4-Door_1553914840_1342.jpg
Stealth-Rack---Heavy-Duty-Low-Profile-Roof-Rack-4-Door_1553914842_1343.jpg
Stealth-Rack---Heavy-Duty-Low-Profile-Roof-Rack-4-Door_1553914843_1346.jpg
Stealth-Rack---Heavy-Duty-Low-Profile-Roof-Rack-4-Door_1574855119_1516.jpg
Stealth-Rack---Heavy-Duty-Low-Profile-Roof-Rack-4-Door_1574855120_1518.jpg
Stealth-Rack---Heavy-Duty-Low-Profile-Roof-Rack-4-Door_1555298547_1356.jpg
roof_rack_with_side_steps_jeep_wrangler_jk_4_hckj-0m.jpg
roof_rack_with_side_steps_jeep_wrangler_jk_3_7yxm-ca.jpg

and the Blurb about the item..

Unique and sleek design. Extensive carrying capacity. Super simple installation.
It's the perfect upgrade for your Jeep.

Leave nothing behind.
We know, having enough capacity when going exploring throughout Australia is crucial - existential even. Carrying recovery gear, water, fuel and camping items can quickly eat up all the space in your Jeep. This roof rack will let you use a lot more space inside your cabin for all the important stuff while your other items can now be easily stored on top of your Wrangler.

Because our stealth rack is going to be mounted to your Jeep’s body, its load capacity is not limited by the strength of the fibreglass hardtop. Therefore carrying heavier loads should not worry you any more.

Worry not about underground car parks.
With just 13cm (or 5.11 inches) height our low-profile stealth rack lets you use most of the underground car parks, which is important if you use your Jeep as a daily driver. Even with a 2.5-inch lift kit and true 33-inch tyres (ie. 295/70R17) your Jeep Wrangler still is under 2.00m tall with this roof rack installed.

Its low-profile stealth design does not help to get into height-limited car parks but it also helps to keep the loss of fuel economy as well as wind noise at a minimum.

Installs in less than thirty minutes.
No drilling, no cutting, no glueing and no swearing. Seriously, this is the [INSERT SWEDISH FURNITURE HOUSE HERE] of roof racks. It's easy to reverse back to your stock Jeep Wrangler as you don't have to mechanically alter your hard top or your frame.

All you need to install our stealth rack is an Allen (hex) key and a ratchet wrench. The installation process itself is rather easy.

Key Benefits
  • Low-profile. This rack adds only 13cm extra height to your Jeep.
  • Stealth design. Reduces drag and wind noise
  • Mounting points. Lets you install up to 4 LED spot lights (lights not included).
  • Easy Installation. No cutting or drilling required and the rack can easily be removed.
  • Extra protection. Protects your hardtop side windows against trail damages.
  • Heavy duty. 150 Kg static load rating.
  • Quality powder coating, stainless steel screws, nuts and washers.
Installation Steps
  1. Undo the 8 (2 on top of your door frame and 6 along the bottom of your hard top) bolts of your rear hard top.
  2. Wrap the mounting points of the frame rails with black electric tape. That way you will protect the paint job of your panels against scratches during the installation. You can keep the tape attached afterwards.
  3. Slightly lift the hard top (get a second person to help you) and slight the frame rail pieces into place (the holes will line up with the bolts for the hardtop).
  4. Screw the bolts for your hard top back into their place and don’t forget the 2 bolts on top of your door frame.
  5. Attach the 2 load bearing frames (the ones with the laser cut-out writing) to the frame rails. Use the stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers that are shipped with the roof rack.
  6. Unpack the actual roof rack and loosely mount the gutter mount brackets onto it. You can tighten them later.
  7. Lay the cardboard that your roof rack has been shipped on top of your hard top and use it as protection against scratches.
  8. Get a second person to help you to lift the roof rack on top of your hard top. Lay the rear end onto the load-bearing frames. Use the stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers to attach the rack loosely to these frames and align the gutter mount brackets with the rain gutters of your rear hard top. Once secured enough, slide out the cardboard.
  9. Tighten all screws and don’t forget to also tighten up the gutter mount brackets.
  10. Step a few meters back and enjoy the look of your new and improved Jeep!
Sponsored

nickharder

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
This looks interesting! Do you have the link to it anywhere? I can't find it.

Rubicon_DK

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Rubicon wrangler
I just got one of these. I found it in the San Fernando Valley from a third party seller.
It fit pretty well, no problems so far.

Jeep Wrangler JL S.A.D. Roof Rack with ladder (pics) and questions about fitting A99C9263-E19E-4DAA-B871-2326312D1A66

OP
OP
Mr_nico

Mr_nico

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since writing this original post a guy on another group here in the uk got one, seems like he had no issues with fit, he did drill some holes so it could be mounted further back and make the front panels easier to move plus he said that when it was fully loaded and he was stood on it the ladder mounts dented his body a tiny amount so something to be aware of... since then he got the supplier to send him more gutter mounts and now its just like the rugged ridge version I assume its a copy of.

Sponsored

andrewtb123

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler JKU
I wanted to ask a quick question about this. It’s my first post also. Looking at this item, I was curious if you have the option to leave one side of the ladder off or even both. I have some decals on my rear windows and was hoping to at least keep on side free. Also, any idea if this roof rack couple be used with a rooftop tent? Strong enough, compatibility, etc. Thanks a lot!

I havent had my JL long so I'm still choosing the parts I want however roof racks have always been a problem I didnt know how to solve as I dont want to drill or cut my roof, would love a Gobi rack but the cost to the UK for racks is fairly obscene if not supplied from a UK supplier (and even then its a huge amount more than the US pays for due to import duty and tax and middle man proffits ontop of shipping)

I previously saw a roof rack I liked advertised around the web but never saw it listed on any 4x4 suppliers in the US or the UK (where I live) and found it was supplied from China so pretty much ignored it since the available information was limited and all listings were for a JL but showed pictures mounted to a JK. Recently a reputable UK 4x4 supplier has started to sell the unit (around 4 times that of the price from china). The wrack seems to be branded as SAD (South african diamond) and seems to be common in Australia and parts of SA (plus china...).

Anyway my questions are... 1) has anyone here used or seen it? 2) are the JL hard top mount points the same as the where it meets above the rear wheels? (looks like the bracket stretches the full length.

I kinda like the look of this as I would theorise that the rack can support more weight being connected and partially supported to the roof mounts rather than all the weight being on the gutter... the price point is not bad either and the option to fit the recommended rugged ridge cubes is nice too as is the ladder inclusion.

my concerns are (along side the quality worries from china) that they may not have taken into consideration that the JL gutter continues all the way back and that the mount points are potentially different (although they do list 2007-2018 and 2018-present versions (admittedly at the same price point). Now I'm not likely to be the first to invest from the 4x4 supplier at the price point they offer it but if all the mount points are potentially the same I'd consider shipping direct from china as even with import duty it would be a more suitable cost to risk... their supply of a JL fitted version is a positive but all the images always showing JK's is a worry.

here are some pics:
Jeep Wrangler JL S.A.D. Roof Rack with ladder (pics) and questions about fitting A99C9263-E19E-4DAA-B871-2326312D1A66

and the Blurb about the item..

Unique and sleek design. Extensive carrying capacity. Super simple installation.
It's the perfect upgrade for your Jeep.

Leave nothing behind.
We know, having enough capacity when going exploring throughout Australia is crucial - existential even. Carrying recovery gear, water, fuel and camping items can quickly eat up all the space in your Jeep. This roof rack will let you use a lot more space inside your cabin for all the important stuff while your other items can now be easily stored on top of your Wrangler.

Because our stealth rack is going to be mounted to your Jeep’s body, its load capacity is not limited by the strength of the fibreglass hardtop. Therefore carrying heavier loads should not worry you any more.

Worry not about underground car parks.
With just 13cm (or 5.11 inches) height our low-profile stealth rack lets you use most of the underground car parks, which is important if you use your Jeep as a daily driver. Even with a 2.5-inch lift kit and true 33-inch tyres (ie. 295/70R17) your Jeep Wrangler still is under 2.00m tall with this roof rack installed.

Its low-profile stealth design does not help to get into height-limited car parks but it also helps to keep the loss of fuel economy as well as wind noise at a minimum.

Installs in less than thirty minutes.
No drilling, no cutting, no glueing and no swearing. Seriously, this is the [INSERT SWEDISH FURNITURE HOUSE HERE] of roof racks. It's easy to reverse back to your stock Jeep Wrangler as you don't have to mechanically alter your hard top or your frame.

All you need to install our stealth rack is an Allen (hex) key and a ratchet wrench. The installation process itself is rather easy.

Key Benefits
  • Low-profile. This rack adds only 13cm extra height to your Jeep.
  • Stealth design. Reduces drag and wind noise
  • Mounting points. Lets you install up to 4 LED spot lights (lights not included).
  • Easy Installation. No cutting or drilling required and the rack can easily be removed.
  • Extra protection. Protects your hardtop side windows against trail damages.
  • Heavy duty. 150 Kg static load rating.
  • Quality powder coating, stainless steel screws, nuts and washers.
Installation Steps
  1. Undo the 8 (2 on top of your door frame and 6 along the bottom of your hard top) bolts of your rear hard top.
  2. Wrap the mounting points of the frame rails with black electric tape. That way you will protect the paint job of your panels against scratches during the installation. You can keep the tape attached afterwards.
  3. Slightly lift the hard top (get a second person to help you) and slight the frame rail pieces into place (the holes will line up with the bolts for the hardtop).
  4. Screw the bolts for your hard top back into their place and don’t forget the 2 bolts on top of your door frame.
  5. Attach the 2 load bearing frames (the ones with the laser cut-out writing) to the frame rails. Use the stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers that are shipped with the roof rack.
  6. Unpack the actual roof rack and loosely mount the gutter mount brackets onto it. You can tighten them later.
  7. Lay the cardboard that your roof rack has been shipped on top of your hard top and use it as protection against scratches.
  8. Get a second person to help you to lift the roof rack on top of your hard top. Lay the rear end onto the load-bearing frames. Use the stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers to attach the rack loosely to these frames and align the gutter mount brackets with the rain gutters of your rear hard top. Once secured enough, slide out the cardboard.
  9. Tighten all screws and don’t forget to also tighten up the gutter mount brackets.
  10. Step a few meters back and enjoy the look of your new and improved Jeep!

OP
OP
Mr_nico

Mr_nico

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wanted to ask a quick question about this. It’s my first post also. Looking at this item, I was curious if you have the option to leave one side of the ladder off or even both. I have some decals on my rear windows and was hoping to at least keep on side free. Also, any idea if this roof rack couple be used with a rooftop tent? Strong enough, compatibility, etc. Thanks a lot!
The side ladder is part of the support of the rear so it cant be left off technically however the guy on the UK owners club who got one asked the supplier and they sent out an additional gutter rack so he no longer uses the ladders...

I've since found this roof rack is a direct copy of the rugged ridge one all the cut outs are the same and they just added ladders to make it look different so it works in both configurations if you can get the gutter mounts.

andrewtb123

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler JKU
The side ladder is part of the support of the rear so it cant be left off technically however the guy on the UK owners club who got one asked the supplier and they sent out an additional gutter rack so he no longer uses the ladders...

I've since found this roof rack is a direct copy of the rugged ridge one all the cut outs are the same and they just added ladders to make it look different so it works in both configurations if you can get the gutter mounts.
Thanks a lot! Sorry, just seeing this.

andrewtb123

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Thanks a lot! Sorry, just seeing this.

I have a JKU so the gutter doesn’t extend all the way to the rear of the hard top. Trying to find an alternate way of supporting the rest of the rack bc I really want to take off at least one of the ladders.

MikeDubai77

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jk 2009
Hey guys, I just bought one of these roof racks for my 2 doors 2009 jk, has anyone fitted this to a 2 door jk? I'm struggling to get the rear ladder brackets that go under the roof rack to line up with the ladder. I've tried a few different configurations but they don't line up at all. The rack came with no instructions so I'm scratching my head. I was also given three brackets for the ladder although the ladder only has markings on it for L1 and L2, where does bracket L3 go, I'm assuming in the middle. Appreciate any help!

Sponsored

OTU

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Moab, Jeep Wrangler JK unlimited,
I bought the JL version of this roof rack on ebay (at least it said it works for the JL), but failed to install it. The ladder mount of the rack was always too high. Checked all options and still have the feeling that I got a version that does not fit for the JL. Did anybody install it already on a JL?
This is the ebay Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Roof-R...Jeep-Wrangler-JL-JT-18-20-4-Door/264949847019

And this is the height difference and the frame rail pieces that seems to lift them too high ... Would appreciate any advice or idea what is going wrong or if I have the wrong parts? Thanks!
Jeep Wrangler JL S.A.D. Roof Rack with ladder (pics) and questions about fitting 63686522640__C526D6AC-A05B-444B-B67B-CBDED04D06FF.fullsizerender
Jeep Wrangler JL S.A.D. Roof Rack with ladder (pics) and questions about fitting IMG_1806

OP
OP
Mr_nico

Mr_nico

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought the JL version of this roof rack on ebay (at least it said it works for the JL), but failed to install it. The ladder mount of the rack was always too high. Checked all options and still have the feeling that I got a version that does not fit for the JL. Did anybody install it already on a JL?
This is the ebay Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Roof-R...Jeep-Wrangler-JL-JT-18-20-4-Door/264949847019

And this is the height difference and the frame rail pieces that seems to lift them too high ... Would appreciate any advice or idea what is going wrong or if I have the wrong parts? Thanks!
Jeep Wrangler JL S.A.D. Roof Rack with ladder (pics) and questions about fitting IMG_1806
I'd say you got the wrong ladders with the part and its maybe the JK version. I never got one in the end but a guy on the Jeep UK owners club has it and the fit is level all along and closer like the one at the front

Reactions: OTU
OP
OP
Mr_nico

Mr_nico

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you still remove the freedom tops with this rack?
Technically yes although its not so easy... UK owner I saw who had one had drilled additional holes in the rack so he could mount the top basket a bit further back... still allowed for the rear door to open the glass fully but made a bit more room at the front and easier to take the top off...
Sponsored