Sponsored

RVIbrake3 Probs-700 miles from home

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
I spoke to RVI yesterday again. They were confident it was the power source and pretty insistent that I find a direct battery source outside the Jeep circuit. I had brought along on this hunting trip, their plug kit that ties to the battery. We wired it direct to the battery with their fuse link inline. I even pulled the fender and fished the wire thru the firewall on the passenger side. All was fine in the driveway. I hooked it up and got to the corner of his street when the thiing went wacko again. It initially braked very hard at the street stop sign , then began pumping continuously, until I finally unplugged it. I'm loosing patience with this product.
I'm assuming by this time RVi is in motion to have you send that unit back to them so they can determine what the problem is (and either fix it or replace it)...
Curious - how did you know it was braking very hard and then "pumping continuously"? Did the Jeep wheels lock up or could you feel the Jeep pulling on your coach? Or did you just see the braking as indicated by the tablet?
Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The rig braked aggressively when I tapped the brakes. I came to a stop and tried to pull away from the stop sign and it was pumping the brakes. I checked the tablet and could see it there as well. When i got out and went to the jeep, it was pumping aggressively.

I was in contact via email with RVI a couple days ago, just before heading to the mountains, where there's no cell signal. They volunteered to send a new main unit out to my friend's house. I asked them to send the entire system. The customer support technician refused the request. I explained I didn't have the time to diagnose the issue one component at a time. He "guaranteeed" me that it was the base unit. But up until this time, they insisted their unit was not at fault and it was a power issue. The other two components are the tabley and the wireless relay. They look like 20 dollars worth of Chinese electronics. Since the tablet has the ability to actuate the brake, it's possible for it to have some type of failure. I pointed that out and that I was in a situation hundreds of miles from home with no brake system for the towed vehicle. He indicated that the other parts were available to purchase if I desired.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
The rig braked aggressively when I tapped the brakes. I came to a stop and tried to pull away from the stop sign and it was pumping the brakes. I checked the tablet and could see it there as well. When i got out and went to the jeep, it was pumping aggressively.

I was in contact via email with RVI a couple days ago, just before heading to the mountains, where there's no cell signal. They volunteered to send a new main unit out to my friend's house. I asked them to send the entire system. The customer support technician refused the request. I explained I didn't have the time to diagnose the issue one component at a time. He "guaranteeed" me that it was the base unit. But up until this time, they insisted their unit was not at fault and it was a power issue. The other two components are the tabley and the wireless relay. They look like 20 dollars worth of Chinese electronics. Since the tablet has the ability to actuate the brake, it's possible for it to have some type of failure. I pointed that out and that I was in a situation hundreds of miles from home with no brake system for the towed vehicle. He indicated that the other parts were available to purchase if I desired.
Well, I can see how annoying it may be to only get a main unit when you aren't convinced that is the problem - but it sounds as if that is all you can do for now. I hadn't thought about how the tablet could be the root cause, given that it can control the braking along with the accelerometers that drive the braking in the main unit, and it's accompanying circuitry.
Thanks for sharing your "journey" with this, as although I haven't had the problem you have, if I ever do this will help me and others who follow you to know what to do. Good luck!

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yesterday, the replacement main brake unit arrived fedex at my friend's place. I mated it up and hooked up the jeep for a test run. In the short 5 mile test, it performed perfectly. I noted that this unit braked harder than the last one as well. The old one felt right when set to "large SUV". This one definitely needs to be set at "small SUV". I'm going to call this closed for now. But then it didn't show on the original unit for 500-600 miles.

So, RVI support was right, it was the main unit going haywire. It strikes me that they were less than forthcoming on admitting this issue was known in their product and insisted it was my wiring issue. I think they're battling a quality issue and aren't admitting it. If someone has an accident due to this issue, an immediate discovery motion will reveal what they knew and when.

Moderator, moving this thread to the towing forum would probably be more helpful for others in the long run.

Last edited:

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
I know this is a really old thread but I am contemplating purchasing this system. How has this unit performed long term?

Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think the system is fine. You need to get power from the tow vehicle to keep the unit running. It's really power hungry, since there is a compressor in the unit.

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
I think the system is fine. You need to get power from the tow vehicle to keep the unit running. It's really power hungry, since there is a compressor in the unit.
Thanks for the update. I have already ordered the Cool Tech brake wiring and the piece to make the 12V outlet up front hot all the time. :)s

Edit: Also intend to run a charge line from the the RV.

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Just a side note. The RVI3 will operate just fine without the tablet or booster.
I like mine
I had read that on some other write ups and that could prove useful if there are electronic gremlins but my preference is definitely to have some real-time feedback of what is going on back there.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I run a 12v extension cord from the back of the Jeep up beside the drivers seat. Thus far in 10k miles, zero issues.
Sponsored