RVI3 Initial Settings

wavw1954

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Altitude Sport
Setting up new 2022 JLU Attitude sport for flat towing. Blue Ox tow bar, CoolTech wiring and RVI3 Braking/ break away system. What I am trying to find is some initial settings for the RVI3 braking system that have worked for anyone already with experience towing a JLU?

• PSI setting, 15 or higher
  • Vacuum, small SUV ?
I bought a used one without the control center pad so doing it through the audio on the unit

Thanks
Wayne
Sponsored

OP
OP

wavw1954

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Setting up new 2022 JLU Attitude sport for flat towing. Blue Ox tow bar, CoolTech wiring and RVI3 Braking/ break away system. What I am trying to find is some initial settings for the RVI3 braking system that have worked for anyone already with experience towing a JLU?

• PSI setting, 15 or higher
  • Vacuum, small SUV ?
I bought a used one without the control center pad so doing it through the audio on the unit

Thanks
Wayne

OP
OP

wavw1954

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The answer to my question is:

RVI3 has a manual setup (video from them is on youtube) for the JLU they recommended setting it at vacuum and small SUV. The video went over a PSI setting which does not apply to vacuum brakes. Once set hold the button to save and it is ready to go. I was over thinking the setup.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
RVI is a great set up. use ours with a Towmaster 38” light bar behind our motorhome. The light bar is battery powered, works on a plug that goes into the 7 pin on the MH. Zero mods required to the Jeep wiring system. Works great!

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
RVI is a great set up. use ours with a Towmaster 38” light bar behind our motorhome. The light bar is battery powered, works on a plug that goes into the 7 pin on the MH. Zero mods required to the Jeep wiring system. Works great!
Do you briefly manually turn on the toad brakes to assist on long down hill grades?

Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Do you briefly manually turn on the toad brakes to assist on long down hill grades?
That would be a really bad idea. Unlike a trailer, which is often as heavy or even heavier than the tow vehicle, a Jeep weighs MUCH less than a motorhome. The toad brakes are insignificant when compared to the total combined mass.

The MH brakes by comparison are massive, and designed to manage the entire GCWR.

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That would be a really bad idea. Unlike a trailer, which is often as heavy or even heavier than the tow vehicle, a Jeep weighs MUCH less than a motorhome. The toad brakes are insignificant when compared to the total combined mass.

The MH brakes by comparison are massive, and designed to manage the entire GCWR.
Not instead of the coach brakes but to assist the coach brakes.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Not instead of the coach brakes but to assist the coach brakes.
What makes you think they need assistance? Not being a smartass, just asking. I do a lot of mountain driving, in fact next week we’re crossing the Eisenhower on 70. Never needed any assistance, even towing larger toads like HD pickups.

Absolutely I endorse the use of toad brakes, I won’t tow without them. But they only engage in a more aggressive stop or in case of breakaway.

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glasser motorhome with RVI3 actual owners is my target audience. I should have been more clear.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I have never yet needed to manually activate the toad brakes-in some braking situations they do come on, but thus far never needed them t be applied manually. I tried it one time right after I put my rig together just to see how they work, but that’s it. With an RVI, if you are on the brakes hard enough to need “more”, they will come on by themselves.

skipdup

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLUR 4xe
RVI suggested to me, for the 4xe, to set to active and 10 psi.
Is the braking system different between 4xe and non-electric Jeeps?
Thanks, Skip
Sponsored