RVi Towed Vehicle Battery Charger install

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'm in the process of setting up my JL for towing behind my RV. I got the CoolTech light wiring harness installed yesterday but their directions are pretty good. No need to rehash them here. I got their deluxe kit which includes an RVi Battery Charger and I didn't see much on installing it in a JL so I figured I'd post some pics of how I installed mine in case anyone else is looking for ideas. Overall, it's not a difficult install at all. Easily a DIY project if you've got some basic tools.

This is the first Jeep I've ever had and one reason I think I'm going to like working on it is this. So much easier to work under the hood when your hood can do this...
IMG_20180826_065153.jpg

I found a pretty good spot for the charger box. Doesn't get in the way of anything else.
IMG_20180826_065206.jpg

The self-tapping screws included in the package are a bit long. Notice that black plastic channel under the cowl seam I'm mounting on? That's got a wire bundle in it so you definitely don't want to get into that. There is a little clearance but it looks to me like not quite enough.
IMG_20180826_065227.jpg

It's good to have an assortment of washers around. This is a pack from Harbor Freight and I used about 5 of the 3/16" washers on each screw to keep the screw from going in too far. Probably could have got away with 3, especially on the passenger side.
IMG_20180826_065840.jpg

Not sure if you can see it very well but there's a bit of clearance between the end of the screw and the wire housing. It seems very secure so we'll see how it holds up. The self-tapping screws went in easy. No need to pre-drill holes or anything, they'll drill the hole themselves and tighten right up.
IMG_20180826_070458.jpg

Routing the wires was pretty easy. I ran the wire that goes to the 6-way plug in front along the cowl and then along the passenger side fender, securing it with wire ties along the way. They only give you 5 wire ties with the kit so you might want a few more. I know I did.
IMG_20180826_071533.jpg

This is the wire continuing along the passenger side fender by the battery (still with fabric cover - wonder how long that'll last).
IMG_20180826_071554.jpg

I ran the wire down beside the headlight toward the bumper. My RockHard bumper isn't going to be here for a couple days and I'm working all week so it'll be at least next weekend before I get it and the 6-way plug installed. For now, the wires are zip tied behind the grill.
View attachment 82065

Connections at the battery are easy enough. I just zip-tied the wires to some existing ones. I thought about shortening the leads but since the connectors are already on there, for now I just bundled the wires up and zip-tied them. The negative battery terminal is really on there so for now I found a nut in my stash of junk that fit the long stud on the negative terminal and just put the connector on top of the nut that's already there. There's what looks to me like an empty hookup screw on the positive terminal closest to the front of the Jeep so I used that for the positive lead.
IMG_20180826_072748.jpg

Hope someone finds this useful. Turning my Jeep into a toad is going to take a while but it's getting there.

View attachment 82064
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited: