Sponsored

RVI Brake3 flat tow brake system review?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm in need of a flat tow brake system. I'm thinking a RVI Brake3. Good? Bad? Where to buy?
Sponsored

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Excellent, well thought out system and after a few trips and 1400 miles, I think it's a winner. And it should be good as it is not inexpensive. We bought it direct when they ran a sale. Watch their videos if you have not done so already. As I've mentioned in other posts we went with the Cooltech wiring harness and RVi brand 12v outlet and battery tender / charger. I had a local jeep / truck shop install the electrical aspects since they have experience setting up Jeeps for flat towing and they don't share my fear of tinkering with auto elec. No regrets and everything is working well.

We initially had some trouble with the setup, but a call to their excellent customer service solved it (omitted the provided floor angle / backstop, we now just sit the unit on top of the Mopar floor mat, positioned to back up against the existing rise in the floor near the front of the driver's seat) and no issues since then.

Pros: simple directions and operation, easy, quick setup and breakdown each time, relatively compact and lightweight kit. The small size - similar to a briefcase - makes it easy to deal with and stow. My Mrs handles that part of the flat towing setup process and thinks it's easy, so that's a big win. We like the ability to both test and monitor the RVi unit from the RV while driving / towing via the provided tablet and wireless hub. The RV leveling "app" feature of the hub and tablet combo is a nice bonus and seems to verify what our old school bubble level tells us.

Cons: occasionally the android tablet is a little fussy in starting up and getting the connection. A little patience has solved it so far.

Last edited:

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
I purchased a RVi3 setup and have towed about 2K miles so far. Also added the RVi12vdc charger.
Towing 18JL Wrangler behind a 15 WGO Navion, MB Sprinter 3500 Chassis.
Purchased direct from RVi. They do some promos throughout the year so I saved some off their usual price.
I'll second what Al said above. I like the ability to test the system while underway (under 30mph).
I felt it work on some heavy braking.
Compact to store.
I can recommend.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
It largely depends upon how you RV and what you consider an inconvenience. As far as "install to tow" braking systems go, I think this is the best currently available. I for one don't like "install to tow" systems as they are extra steps each time you tow and extra chances to get something wrong. We installed the AirForceOne system due to it being tied directly into the air brake system on or motorhome plus you can basically forget about it after its initially installed. For us, we've towed over 65K miles in the past 5 years and that would represent a lot of install/take-out hassle and time.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks all. I'm going to be towing behind my 2014 GMC 1500 Crew 4x4. I don't expect I'll tow more than a few thousand miles a year for hunting trips. Sounds like the RVI3 is the way to go for me.

Sponsored

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've towed 4K miles over the last 6 months with an RVi3 brake system.
It works.
Compact package.
Straight forward installation after doing it a few times.
I like the test feature. Peace of mind that the system is functional.
I also utilize the 12vdc charger from RVi.

I wish the RVi System would integrate with other vendors tire monitoring system.
I have a TPMS and it would be nice to have the sensors communicate with the RVi remote.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I purchased a RVi3 setup and have towed about 2K miles so far. Also added the RVi12vdc charger.
Towing 18JL Wrangler behind a 15 WGO Navion, MB Sprinter 3500 Chassis.
Purchased direct from RVi. They do some promos throughout the year so I saved some off their usual price.
I'll second what Al said above. I like the ability to test the system while underway (under 30mph).
I felt it work on some heavy braking.
Compact to store.
I can recommend.
Would 10% off be a decent discount compared to their promos? I found a coupon at Camping World for 10% off.

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would 10% off be a decent discount compared to their promos? I found a coupon at Camping World for 10% off.
10% off was the best I ever saw.
That's what I got over Xmas.
Sponsored