Sponsored

Rusty's Tire Carrier - Question for those who have it.

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
Hello all,
I am seriously considering the Rusty's Tire mount/hinge replacement.(hopefully that will make third time the charm)

Question for those who have experience with it - how much higher than stock can the tire mount?
I ask because I have a Rockhard 4x4 rear bumper. It's a great bumper, but it does not have a tire cutout. I knew that when buying which is why it took me so long to pull that trigger haha.
I tried a Teraflex Alpha - NO GO. Not even the stock tire fit.
I now have the Rough Country relocation bracket which raises the stock carrier 4.75". This is working fine, but it seems like it is def. moving more and making more noise. The rear glass is squeaking much more than it used to now after this past weekend's Jamboree. And there are plans for 35's in the hopefully near future.
(I also have a Molle rack attached to the inside of the tailgate) Pretty light, and hardly any weight to the stuff I am storing there, but still it added a little weight.

So to sum it up because this is getting very long winded. My tire carrier now is 4.75" higher than stock, and it looks like a 35 would clear the bumper. So I need the Rusty's carrier to be at least that for all this to come together.
I did call them and they said about 6" higher at the max setting, but after looking at more pics here and other places I am starting to wonder if they misunderstood me. (they were very pleasant and helpful on the phone by the way which is a great start)
Thanks for reading all this!
Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So on mine with a 35 and the stock carrier and the factory steel bumper the tire rubbed slightly on the bumper. Same tire same bumper with the Rusty’s carrier the tire is 1” above the bumper on the lowest setting. I just measured and I could raise the tire 5 1/2” from where it is now. I think you will have plenty of room.

4LOWYO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 TJ Sport
Sorry for the weird angle, but it's what I have on my phone. That is the Rusty's carrier at the highest setting, with a 38" Milestar, and a steel Rock Hard bumper.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rusty's Tire Carrier - Question for those who have it. TC and Bumper

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a picture

Jeep Wrangler JL Rusty's Tire Carrier - Question for those who have it. TC and Bumper

Awesome! thanks for the info and great looking rig! So if at the lowest setting you have another 5-1/2" to go then, I should have no problem making it work. Awesome! by the way - are those the Beadlock borah's? Thanks again for measuring and the pics

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for the weird angle, but it's what I have on my phone. That is the Rusty's carrier at the highest setting, with a 38" Milestar, and a steel Rock Hard bumper.

Wow that's perfect! the actual bumper and the actual tire carrier. Couldn't ask for more than that. If your 38 fits..... well perhaps it time to starting looking at 37's instead of 35's!:clap: Thanks very much for posting!

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Awesome! thanks for the info and great looking rig! So if at the lowest setting you have another 5-1/2" to go then, I should have no problem making it work. Awesome! by the way - are those the Beadlock borah's? Thanks again for measuring and the pics
No problem and yes, those are the Borah’s

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rusty's Tire carrier ordered! And now I wait and cringe over big bumps haha. Thanks so much for the info everyone.

4LOWYO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 TJ Sport
Wow that's perfect! the actual bumper and the actual tire carrier. Couldn't ask for more than that. If your 38 fits..... well perhaps it time to starting looking at 37's instead of 35's!:clap: Thanks very much for posting!
Here is an older pic with 37s on the same setup.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rusty's Tire Carrier - Question for those who have it. D01B685B-B9FC-4ADE-AA3E-95C094133905

Sponsored

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is an older pic with 37s on the same setup.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rusty's Tire Carrier - Question for those who have it. D01B685B-B9FC-4ADE-AA3E-95C094133905
awesome, thank you! Really wish I had done this research before buying the other two carriers that did not cut it haha! It looks like this should solve my issues and still leave room for future expansion. Thanks again -

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Jeep Wrangler JL Rusty's Tire Carrier - Question for those who have it. 7BBD3C53-3D35-4BEC-A513-F37A1DA8F104
I just had this installed. What’s with the space above the hinge? This will clearly let rainwater in. I’m concerned about the metal components within the rear of the Jeep corroding. What say you?

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The spaces at the hinges to the body are normal. If I remember correctly, even the factory carrier did not actually plug those holes, it just covered them. It goes into the space behind the fender which is already kind of open anyway. There was a surprising amount of debris and sand in there when I took it apart for the install, and it only had about 3000 miles at the time. On a side note- This tire carrier really is an awesome piece!! No rattles, etc. and the hinge/gate actually close nicer than it did from the factory. super stout piece:like: By far one of the best mods I have done to the Jeep to date.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rusty's Tire Carrier - Question for those who have it. IMG_1820
Sponsored