Sponsored

Rusty's Offroad JL 3.75 Advanced Kit

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3
I recently installed this kit, thought I'd post some pics and info about it, since there is virtually none out there that I can find.
I spoke to quite a few companies and did a good amount of research before I arrived at the decision to try the Rusty's kit. I almost went with MetalCloak, but the cost difference between the two and the fact Eibach makes the RX800 shocks and springs I bought with the Rusty's kit pushed me over the edge.
The install was very easy and straightforward. Took me a few days, but I took my time and did it by myself. I come from a racing background, and working on this Jeep is childs play compared to fighting my Evo X or E46 M3. So much space, everything is so industrial strength.
After I completed the install, drove it down the street to the shop that has done all my alignments for my race cars. The owner had never done a JL, but had done numerous JKs. He actually called me after he was done and commented on how easy the alignment went and how surprisingly well the Jeep drove after such a drastic lift. He said that most JKs he comes across are almost undriveable when lifted this much. I suspect this has more to do with the JL than the Rusty's kit, but was still positive. I drive it about 300 miles on the highway this past weekend, very comfortably could go 80-85 mph, and was very pleasantly surprised.
Haven't taken it offroad yet, but will most likely this weekend. I will be receiving my new Tom Woods front drive shaft this Wednesday, shouldn't take me more than a couple hours to get that in and be ready for a trip to Cliffs Insane Terrain this weekend. There is zero percent chance you should consider getting this kit without replacing the stock front driveshaft.
Anyway, here are some pics and what-not, let me know if you have any questions or want to see more pics. So far, I'm extremely happy with this kit, glad I took a chance on it.

MVIMG_20190708_121122.jpg

MVIMG_20190708_121144.jpg

MVIMG_20190708_121410.jpg

MVIMG_20190708_121219.jpg

MVIMG_20190708_121312.jpg

MVIMG_20190624_142127.jpg

MVIMG_20190625_181602.jpg

MVIMG_20190708_121353.jpg
Sponsored

84jeepjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUR 392, 84 CJ7, 2005 Z71 Burb
Looks good Are the tires 37's or 38's?

OP
OP
morricus

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know I mentioned above that there is a zero % chance of using the stock front driveshaft with this kit, but that seems to be incorrect. I called Rustys about it and though they said it is highly recommended to replace it, you can offroad with the stock one, for a while. My untrained eye thought the stock front driveshafts standing angle (pictured below) was too steep to allow for any real wheel travel before it binded. But Rusty's reminded me that most of the time only one wheel will be moving up or down at any given time, not both. Stock driveshaft will work here. Whatever, I'm not upset I invested in a new driveshaft, would have been on borrowed time, prolonging the inevitable.

MVIMG_20190709_112456.jpg

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I recently installed this kit, thought I'd post some pics and info about it, since there is virtually none out there that I can find.
I spoke to quite a few companies and did a good amount of research before I arrived at the decision to try the Rusty's kit. I almost went with MetalCloak, but the cost difference between the two and the fact Eibach makes the RX800 shocks and springs I bought with the Rusty's kit pushed me over the edge.
The install was very easy and straightforward. Took me a few days, but I took my time and did it by myself. I come from a racing background, and working on this Jeep is childs play compared to fighting my Evo X or E46 M3. So much space, everything is so industrial strength.
After I completed the install, drove it down the street to the shop that has done all my alignments for my race cars. The owner had never done a JL, but had done numerous JKs. He actually called me after he was done and commented on how easy the alignment went and how surprisingly well the Jeep drove after such a drastic lift. He said that most JKs he comes across are almost undriveable when lifted this much. I suspect this has more to do with the JL than the Rusty's kit, but was still positive. I drive it about 300 miles on the highway this past weekend, very comfortably could go 80-85 mph, and was very pleasantly surprised.
Haven't taken it offroad yet, but will most likely this weekend. I will be receiving my new Tom Woods front drive shaft this Wednesday, shouldn't take me more than a couple hours to get that in and be ready for a trip to Cliffs Insane Terrain this weekend. There is zero percent chance you should consider getting this kit without replacing the stock front driveshaft.
Anyway, here are some pics and what-not, let me know if you have any questions or want to see more pics. So far, I'm extremely happy with this kit, glad I took a chance on it.

MVIMG_20190708_121122.jpg

MVIMG_20190708_121144.jpg

MVIMG_20190708_121410.jpg

MVIMG_20190708_121219.jpg

MVIMG_20190708_121312.jpg

MVIMG_20190624_142127.jpg

MVIMG_20190625_181602.jpg

MVIMG_20190708_121353.jpg
Looks awesome! Great stance!

Sponsored

Jimbo1226

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK, 2018 JLUR
Only the 3” coils from Rusty’s are made by Eibach. The 3.75’s are not. Rusty is very quiet about it but his website only has the 3” coils with the Eibach claim and not the 3.75’s. I have a set of front 3.75’s and they are not an Eibach product

OP
OP
morricus

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only the 3” coils from Rusty’s are made by Eibach. The 3.75’s are not. Rusty is very quiet about it but his website only has the 3” coils with the Eibach claim and not the 3.75’s. I have a set of front 3.75’s and they are not an Eibach product
I called Rustys, you're right. Only the shocks are made by Eibach. The 3.75s are made by Duer Carolina Coil and are dual rate. The 3 inch are Eibach but are single rate.
I don't know if they're being quiet about it, but I do think they should just state on the 3.75 webpage who makes the springs. Doesn't change anything for me, I'm happy with how it rides and performs.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I know I mentioned above that there is a zero % chance of using the stock front driveshaft with this kit, but that seems to be incorrect. I called Rustys about it and though they said it is highly recommended to replace it, you can offroad with the stock one, for a while. My untrained eye thought the stock front driveshafts standing angle (pictured below) was too steep to allow for any real wheel travel before it binded. But Rusty's reminded me that most of the time only one wheel will be moving up or down at any given time, not both. Stock driveshaft will work here. Whatever, I'm not upset I invested in a new driveshaft, would have been on borrowed time, prolonging the inevitable.

MVIMG_20190709_112456.jpg
That’s ok dude, you did the right thing replacing your driveshaft, I’m on 3.5 inch lift and I bent the crap out of that collar wheeling. I installed the Adams, it works great.

D65DC456-D24A-4CE0-A3C6-9FB4CAE0561E.jpeg

OP
OP
morricus

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s ok dude, you did the right thing replacing your driveshaft, I’m on 3.5 inch lift and I bent the crap out of that collar wheeling. I installed the Adams, it works great.
Nice, glad I did it. Do you still run the stock rear? I'm hoping to keep that in there at least until next year.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nice, glad I did it. Do you still run the stock rear? I'm hoping to keep that in there at least until next year.
Yes, I don’t see any problem with running rear as long as you keep a good pinion angle. But that shouldn’t be an issue since you got all eight arms with your kit. The back wheel not being centered in the wheel well drove me nuts (ocd), lol. So I pushed mine back an inch. Had to put in artec inner fenders and trim my pinch seams but it doesn’t drive me crazy anymore, lol. Here’s before and after, yours looks more centered than mine did.

E54EAE76-9A8A-41D3-B16F-24A739ED2668.jpeg
8BFE3FAA-24F0-4CA7-8971-A172244333A6.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
morricus

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I don’t see any problem with running rear as long as you keep a good pinion angle. But that shouldn’t be an issue since you got all eight arms with your kit. The back wheel not being centered in the wheel well drove me nuts (ocd), lol. So I pushed mine back an inch. Had to put in artec inner fenders and trim my pinch seams but it doesn’t drive me crazy anymore, lol. Here’s before and after, yours looks more centered than mine did.
Yikes, that rear wheel not being centered would bother me too. Looks much better after you pushed it back.

Jimbo1226

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK, 2018 JLUR
I called Rustys, you're right. Only the shocks are made by Eibach. The 3.75s are made by Duer Carolina Coil and are dual rate. The 3 inch are Eibach but are single rate.
I don't know if they're being quiet about it, but I do think they should just state on the 3.75 webpage who makes the springs. Doesn't change anything for me, I'm happy with how it rides and performs.
I agree 100% all that matters is that you’re happy with your investment. I just think they’re kind of casually dishonest or misleading with how they market in that regard. The Facebook posts by Rusty and his son are getting ridiculous though.

OP
OP
morricus

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree 100% all that matters is that you’re happy with your investment. I just think they’re kind of casually dishonest or misleading with how they market in that regard. The Facebook posts by Rusty and his son are getting ridiculous though.
I can see that. To be fair, most vendors don't disclose who makes their springs at all. Not defending Rustys here, I can see your point, just saying.
I don't have Facebook, stopped that years ago, but you have me curious. I'll try to check it out.

AllJumpStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just fyi, pushing your rear axle back like that will cause interference between the tire and back of the wheel well when the suspension cycles, even if it does look better.

Jimbo1226

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK, 2018 JLUR
Just fyi, pushing your rear axle back like that will cause interference between the tire and back of the wheel well when the suspension cycles, even if it does look better.
Absolutely, it can also cause a nasty bow in the rear springs that can cause a premature failure depending on how the pinion angle is adjusted.
Sponsored