Sponsored

Rusty’s Winch Plate: Not Impressed

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@Robmypro any update on this? I'm about to purchase this winch plate and curious if they are still having issues and what the cause of it was. I saw 2 user reviews on a website last night where both people said the plate bent.
You have a poster here with photos as well as 2 online reviews from owners reporting bent plates and you're still considering it?
Sponsored

JGSQUAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You have a poster here with photos as well as 2 online reviews from owners reporting bent plates and you're still considering it?
It's kind of like Amazon, if people never bought anything with a bad review then Amazon would be out of business. Another example is the JTop sunshade I installed over the weekend. Saw a few people talking about it sagging in the front and not liking the sunshade because of it, and I almost didn't buy it because of this. I did more research and figured out they didn't install it properly. I installed it and no sag because i followed the instructions.

So that's why I'm trying to see what the resolution was for the original poster so I can see if the 3 complaints I could find out of the hundreds of people who have installed it was maybe an install error, bad batch of plates, etc.

JGSQUAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm using the Warn winch plate with the factory steel bumper and Smitty X20 10K winch. The winch plate is extremely heavy duty and I don't see how it could bend (though I haven't used it yet). Highly recommended if you're using the Mopar steel front bumper.
Did you have any issues with getting the skid plate lined up? Guy on youtube said you have to enlarge the holes and/or use a rubber mallet to try to move the mounts forward as much as possible.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It's kind of like Amazon, if people never bought anything with a bad review then Amazon would be out of business. Another example is the JTop sunshade I installed over the weekend. Saw a few people talking about it sagging in the front and not liking the sunshade because of it, and I almost didn't buy it because of this. I did more research and figured out they didn't install it properly. I installed it and no sag because i followed the instructions.

So that's why I'm trying to see what the resolution was for the original poster so I can see if the 3 complaints I could find out of the hundreds of people who have installed it was maybe an install error, bad batch of plates, etc.
That's a little different than a winch plate bending from, wait for it, winching. Never mind the fact that once he sent pictures of the failed unit he got radio silence from the manufacturer. Moral of the story: you probably don't want to cheap out on a winch plate.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have any issues with getting the skid plate lined up? Guy on youtube said you have to enlarge the holes and/or use a rubber mallet to try to move the mounts forward as much as possible.
Because the winch plate bracket attaches between the bumper and the frame it pushes the bumper forward slightly (1/8" maybe). Since the front of the skid plate attaches to the bumper it too slides forward slightly. I got in all but the 2 outside bolts... still need to slightly enlarge (or elongate) the holes to get the outboard bolts in. I actually had all in at one point then couldn't get it the second time. Not a big deal either way.

Sponsored

JGSQUAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That's a little different than a winch plate bending from, wait for it, winching. Never mind the fact that once he sent pictures of the failed unit he got radio silence from the manufacturer. Moral of the story: you probably don't want to cheap out on a winch plate.
Not different at all, it's someone using a product and having an issue with it. Different products will have different issues because, wait for it, they're different. Can't really say not to cheap out with a winch plate since Rusty's cost the same as Warn winch plate.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
I’m planning on installing this ^ exact set up. My concern/question is, I already have the Mopar winch/grill guard installed with a light bar on top. Will the winch guard clear the winch and solenoid? Hopefully the guard is tilted far enough forward that it won’t be a problem. Anyone with the Mopar winch guard and and winch both installed, please chime in.
Yes, I have everything you're planning on installing and it all fits/clears just fine.

20190518_120912.jpg

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey

b1er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon, '18 JL Sport, 1980 El Camino, 1969 Olds 442
This is ironic as he just quizzed me up for questioning his track bar design since it didn't appear to have sufficient enough bend to avoid the diff cover at full stuff like the MC or Yeti design obviously appear designed to do. I didn't question the strength of his materials but, based on this, I have to wonder if there is something concerning about the that aspect of is parts as well.
OT but, Rusty's front track bar hit my Dana diff cover... hard...pulling out of my driveway no less... I messaged them about it, they told me to grind the cover and that "no one else" had an issue... Bullshit. I dumped the front bar for a JKS and no issues... No more Rusty garbage for me...

53597400_791767584532653_364347697831870464_n.jpg

Sponsored

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460

slimfl08

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Have you mounted it yet? If so, could you post some pics? Still sold on it?
Here is my post of the issue I ran into (some others have not) and my original post. If you want any specific pictures let me know I will send them your way. As of now I am still sold on it. the build quality was nice. Moving the box was an annoyance but not a deal breaker. Rather move the box then buy a mount that's gonna crumble on me.

"I have the X20 with an ATP plate. I had issues as well. I ended up mounting the box on the side of the winch."

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...your-jeep-jl-today.3033/page-1037#post-671309

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
OT but, Rusty's front track bar hit my Dana diff cover... hard...pulling out of my driveway no less... I messaged them about it, they told me to grind the cover and that "no one else" had an issue... Bullshit. I dumped the front bar for a JKS and no issues... No more Rusty garbage for me...

53597400_791767584532653_364347697831870464_n.jpg
Is that actually bent the wrong direction? Like up in the photo instead of away from you?

b1er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon, '18 JL Sport, 1980 El Camino, 1969 Olds 442
Is that actually bent the wrong direction? Like up in the photo instead of away from you?
It's not the wrong direction... that's the way they make it. Just a bend to allow it to go over the top of the diff cover and not in front of it. With a thicker aftermarket cover it won't clear no matter what you do... Just for clarity, I'm lifted 3 inches on 37's and just pulling out of my driveway caused the bar to hit the cover hard enough to make you cringe...

I have the rear bar too and it's been fine. no issues...

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...k-bar-hits-dana-diff-cover.24773/#post-599982

20190302_161444.jpg

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I’m planning on installing this ^ exact set up. My concern/question is, I already have the Mopar winch/grill guard installed with a light bar on top. Will the winch guard clear the winch and solenoid? Hopefully the guard is tilted far enough forward that it won’t be a problem. Anyone with the Mopar winch guard and and winch both installed, please chime in.
While I don't have the guard, I did take some pics of the solenoid height. Looks like it sits slightly higher than the tow hooks (if you extended them back). Two pics with slightly different view angles. Hope this helps.

IMG_1668.JPG
IMG_1669.JPG
Sponsored