Rusty’s Winch Plate: Not Impressed

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
I ordered Rusty’s Winch Plate to mount my winch on the stock steel bumpers on my 2019 Rubicon a couple months ago, and my first time using it the winch plate bent. I was using a 9500lb Smittybilt winch and it bent pretty easily. This was a REAL pain to install, so i wasn’t looking forward to removing and replacing something that appears to not meet the load rating advertised on this product. So i email them on April 8, and they asked for pictures. I sent them photos the next day and it has been radio silence ever since. Follow up emails to them have not been replied to.

Not impressed with the product. Not impressed with their customer service.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Well this is disappointing. I have it was well with a X2O 10K. I haven’t used it yet.

Will you give some details please of exactly how you were using it at the time the failure happened? The pics would be great too.

Twmcneilly

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 CTD, 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour
Occupation
Retired
Well this is disappointing. I have it was well with a X2O 10K. I haven’t used it yet.

Will you give some details please of exactly how you were using it at the time the failure happened? The pics would be great too.
+1 on the comments.
I was impressed with the initial quality and how well it fit. I guess there’s more to it than just good looks!?

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
+1 on the comments.
I was impressed with the initial quality and how well it fit. I guess there’s more to it than just good looks!?
I don't have the rustys plate but for what it's worth, I have maximus 3 plate and have used it several times, some pretty hard pulls and no issues.

Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I have used my x20 10k winch with the Rusty’s plate a few times with no issues. One of the pulls taxed the winch to its limits.

I wouldn’t assume that all of their plates are bad.

wordslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grand cherokee
I have used my x20 10k winch with the Rusty’s plate a few times with no issues. One of the pulls taxed the winch to its limits.

I wouldn’t assume that all of their plates are bad.
I agree with you. What irks me about it is the fact that he has a damaged winch plate AND a dealer not responding to him to address his problems with the winch plate.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I ordered Rusty’s Winch Plate to mount my winch on the stock steel bumpers on my 2019 Rubicon a couple months ago, and my first time using it the winch plate bent. I was using a 9500lb Smittybilt winch and it bent pretty easily. This was a REAL pain to install, so i wasn’t looking forward to removing and replacing something that appears to not meet the load rating advertised on this product. So i email them on April 8, and they asked for pictures. I sent them photos the next day and it has been radio silence ever since. Follow up emails to them have not been replied to.

Not impressed with the product. Not impressed with their customer service.
I suggest calling them. The person you emailed could be out sick, who knows. Email is so impersonal and calling can generally get you in contact with someone that can try and figure out what happened quicker

Brett

OP
OP

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
Yeah, i plan on calling these guys tomorrow. At this point i will probably just buy another winch plate, as i saw this thing bend pretty easily. Here are some pics.

2EF4293B-DECB-46FE-A6DC-04C536AE49D7.jpeg

1BAB1A76-2F49-4502-ADCD-F343BD14790A.jpeg

C06C8839-F647-4A56-B3F9-13CDAE747070.jpeg

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
For what it’s worth guys, Rusty’s parts have always been known to be subpar. Several suspension pieces have failed causing dangerous situations right in front of my eyes on trails in NC. Now this was a few years ago but I suggest you do some research on their quality before buying anything they sell. Trackbars, control arms etc all failing on and off road

Sponsored

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
For what it’s worth guys, Rusty’s parts have always been known to be subpar. Several suspension pieces have failed causing dangerous situations right in front of my eyes on trails in NC. Now this was a few years ago but I suggest you do some research on their quality before buying anything they sell. Trackbars, control arms etc all failing on and off road
This is ironic as he just quizzed me up for questioning his track bar design since it didn't appear to have sufficient enough bend to avoid the diff cover at full stuff like the MC or Yeti design obviously appear designed to do. I didn't question the strength of his materials but, based on this, I have to wonder if there is something concerning about the that aspect of is parts as well.

JGSQUAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@Robmypro any update on this? I'm about to purchase this winch plate and curious if they are still having issues and what the cause of it was. I saw 2 user reviews on a website last night where both people said the plate bent.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
@Robmypro any update on this? I'm about to purchase this winch plate and curious if they are still having issues and what the cause of it was. I saw 2 user reviews on a website last night where both people said the plate bent.
I'm using the Warn winch plate with the factory steel bumper and Smitty X20 10K winch. The winch plate is extremely heavy duty and I don't see how it could bend (though I haven't used it yet). Highly recommended if you're using the Mopar steel front bumper.

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
I'm using the Warn winch plate with the factory steel bumper and Smitty X20 10K winch. The winch plate is extremely heavy duty and I don't see how it could bend (though I haven't used it yet). Highly recommended if you're using the Mopar steel front bumper.
I’m planning on installing this ^ exact set up. My concern/question is, I already have the Mopar winch/grill guard installed with a light bar on top. Will the winch guard clear the winch and solenoid? Hopefully the guard is tilted far enough forward that it won’t be a problem. Anyone with the Mopar winch guard and and winch both installed, please chime in.
Sponsored