Rustproofing?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Anyone planning on getting rustproofing (not undercoating)? I've had several Jeeps in the past. Here in Minnesota, vehicles are bathed in salt water for more than six months a year. My 2012 got rust proofing when brand new. I do take it into a car wash at least once a month. Not a speck of rust! I know that manufacturers state that their vehicles are factory rustproofed. But I can immediately tell when a car/truck has not had additional rustproofing...the fenders/doors start to perforate by year six. How is your older non-rustproofed Jeep standing up after 5-6 years if you live in a Northern state where salt is dumped on the roadways?
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Since I live in the Salt Belt, I have my JK "Rust Copped" every Spring. It gets put on a lift, everything from the beltline down treated with a fluid that creeps everywhere. Made by Carwell: UPS, other Fleet owners use it.
Before it goes for the annual treatment, I flush underbody, frame with Salt Away, this chemically neutralizes the salt. You can also buy the RustCop fluid and appy yourself, there's a kit for this.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
I would most definitely like to hear from anyone as to their experiences with corrosion in the salt belt area on non or rust proofed Wranglers. Mainly non-rust proofed Wranglers; any year.

I’m sure “four low” and a lot of other people have to deal with the liquid calcium chloride and the granulated salt, that seems to be the only thing the towns and state departments apply for light snowfall not exceeding a few inches.

The local street departments used to complain about the damage and the sweeping maintenance required when only sand was used. Is salt really any better, leaching into the public water supplies, killing plant life, corroding bridges and every form of transportation?

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
I would most definitely like to hear from anyone as to their experiences with corrosion in the salt belt area on non or rust proofed Wranglers. Mainly non-rust proofed Wranglers; any year.

I’m sure “four low” and a lot of other people have to deal with the liquid calcium chloride and the granulated salt, that seems to be the only thing the towns and state departments apply for light snowfall not exceeding a few inches.

The local street departments used to complain about the damage and the sweeping maintenance required when only sand was used. Is salt really any better, leaching into the public water supplies, killing plant life, corroding bridges and every form of transportation?
Anybody have any feedback or experience on this topic? Please, for the benefit of everyone; give us all your thoughts.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic

Sand? I've only ever seen that used down South (Atlanta, specifically) where they don't typically buy and store salt. Sand doesn't work worth crap. Here in Chicago they put down a LOT of salt and our main arteries are cleared pretty quickly - but that's constant runs around the clock by teams of plows working together to push the snow out and drop salt out the spreaders on the rear. I'm in a high rise right on the lakefront and one of the signs and sounds of winter is looking out the window and watching and hearing 4 snowplows going down LSD. This city would grind to a halt if they used sand.

I don't have any experience with Jeeps so can't comment on the rustproofing question for them but my Acura is 13 years old now and that's my winter driver and it's never been treated with anything and has zero rust - and as I said, Chicago lays the salt down thick and frequently.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
Sand? I've only ever seen that used down South (Atlanta, specifically) where they don't typically buy and store salt. Sand doesn't work worth crap. Here in Chicago they put down a LOT of salt and our main arteries are cleared pretty quickly - but that's constant runs around the clock by teams of plows working together to push the snow out and drop salt out the spreaders on the rear. I'm in a high rise right on the lakefront and one of the signs and sounds of winter is looking out the window and watching and hearing 4 snowplows going down LSD. This city would grind to a halt if they used sand.

I don't have any experience with Jeeps so can't comment on the rustproofing question for them but my Acura is 13 years old now and that's my winter driver and it's never been treated with anything and has zero rust - and as I said, Chicago lays the salt down thick and frequently.
The sand use I was referring to was done predominantly in the 1960’s thru the late 80’s in my Connecticut area. Once in a while salt was mixed in with the sand when there was an icy freezing rain forecast; but not that much. Liquid calcium chloride has only been done on Connecticut roads in the past 6 - 7 years; that’s the product that does the most damage.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
The sand use I was referring to was done predominantly in the 1960’s thru the late 80’s in my Connecticut area. Once in a while salt was mixed in with the sand when there was an icy freezing rain forecast; but not that much. Liquid calcium chloride has only been done on Connecticut roads in the past 6 - 7 years; that’s the product that does the most damage.
Actually it’s liquid sodium chloride that is put down a day in advance of a snow or ice forecast.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Actually it’s liquid sodium chloride that is put down a day in advance of a snow or ice forecast.
Are you sure about that? I can't imagine why anyone would go to the trouble (and expense) to take standard rock salt and make a brine out of it for putting down on roads. I know liquid *magnesium* chloride is a popular alternative choice to salt (or calcium chloride) as the Mg option is less destructive. Around here we use so much of it the significantly higher cost of that compared to plain old rock salt would be prohibitive - certainly from this taxpayers viewpoint.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My 08 JK is not rustproofed, but I frequently go through a touchless car wash with underbody rinse throughout the winter. Every fall and spring I get under it and go over every spot or beginning of rust and hit it with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. There really isn't any rust under there, except maybe on the inside of the gas tank skid plate. Any metal you scrape is going to be a bit more prone to rust, so I hit all those scrapes. Anyway, that old JK looks great underneath. I also flush the frame out through the holes, when I can. I think overall, the JKs do pretty well.

Mud is almost as big an enemy as salt. Be sure to thoroughly wash mud and dirt off very soon after off-roading. That makes a big difference, too.

Sponsored

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
Are you sure about that? I can't imagine why anyone would go to the trouble (and expense) to take standard rock salt and make a brine out of it for putting down on roads. I know liquid *magnesium* chloride is a popular alternative choice to salt (or calcium chloride) as the Mg option is less destructive. Around here we use so much of it the significantly higher cost of that compared to plain old rock salt would be prohibitive - certainly from this taxpayers viewpoint.
You’re correct; the liquid is magnesium chloride. They switched to magnesium back in ‘15 from calcium chloride. The salt pellets are sodium chloride.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The "salt" compounds turn to a white powder, driving on previously treated roads with any amount of traffic creates a "fog" of particulates. The hundreds of tons that are sluiced off into streams, aquatic environments, lofted into the air to settle on farmlands , will undoubtedly have unintended, accumulative consequences.
Anyone remember MBTE ? Leaded Gasoline ? PCBs ? DDT?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I remember PCP's and DDT. The salt compounds aren't great, but they aren't anywhere in the league of PCPs or DDT. Not even close.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
http://kdvr.com/2016/12/16/salt-brine-mix-great-for-the-roads-damaging-to-your-car-if-not-washed/

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, my wife thinks I'm nuts, but I won't let that crap sit on my Jeep's underside for more than a couple days. I hit a car wash the other day when it was only 10 degrees.

The good news, though, is that the damage doesn't start to really occur until the temperatures get above freezing and there is moisture in the air. Right now, our air is so dry it won't react so much. You can bet, though, I'll spend a few bucks in the winter on car washes with undercarriage blast. I also, when warmer, hit the bottom of the Jeep liberally with the self serve car wash spray wax, and I don't rinse it off. I let it dry on there. We've had that brine mix for years and my Jeep looks new underneath. I think what I'm doing is working out.
Sponsored