Russian election meddling and treatment of US intelligence agencies by President

1. Warrior Class

Warrior Class Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
    Liked:
    Glad we have a place to discuss politics now. Thanks mods/admins.

What’s everyone’s take on Russian election meddling and our intelligence agencies’ conclusion that it happened? And how the President has treated this situation?

I trust our agencies’ conclusion that meddling happened and think that even if the President personally doesn’t believe it he should at least be publicly backing his own intelligence agencies. By not doing so, he’s weakening their ability to coordinate with and be trusted by US allies’ own intelligence agencies. And cross intelligence reliance is vital to the effectiveness of these agencies!

shacdaddy likes this.
  2. ModdedJK

ModdedJK Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Modded JK
    Liked:
    Well Trump seems to be walking back his acceptance of Putin's denials on Russian hacking/meddling now after unanimous negative reaction he's received in the US. Claims he misspoke and used the world 'would' instead of 'wouldn't' when during the press conference with Putin he said he didn’t see any reason why Russia would have been behind the meddling. Instead, he said he meant the opposite. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried :cwl:

shacdaddy likes this.
  3. BlairF

BlairF Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Blair
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUS-S Mojito! - 2014 Challenger RT Classic (SuperCharged) - 2016 Dodge Durango RT
    Liked:
    Technology Incident Management
    Garage Profiles:
    You couldn't? He does it daily. ;)

shacdaddy likes this.
  4. W5MQS

W5MQS Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mitch
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
    Liked:
    Interventional Cardiology
    First off let me say that Trump is not my favorite person nor was he my first choice to be president. Truth be told, I was a Ted Cruz supporter because I identify politically as a "Constitutional Conservative" and I believe that he was the closest candidate to a Constitutional Conservative that was running at the time. I'll be straight up here and tell you that I voted for Trump...for one SPECIFIC and MAIN reason...the Supreme Court...and so far, it has worked out pretty well for me...and probably for many others who did the same exact thing.

This country's politician's piss me off! I'm sure that the Russians meddled in our elections to some degree. But is there anyone out there that doesn't believe that the United States doesn't try to meddle in the elections of other countries? Come on... With that being said, they want to pin this Russian meddling and supposed Russian collusion on Trump however; truth be told, the meddling all happened in 2016...am I wrong? I don't think so. Who all knew about this Russian interference at that time??? Let's see, the head of the FBI, Jim Comey...the head of the CIA, John Brennan...the Director of National Intelligence, James Clapper...oh, and lets not forget the previous head of the FBI, Robert Mueller...and the Chief himself, President Obama. And now they have all been crying foul about it. If all of these people knew about the meddling that was going on as they have claimed, why didn't they do anything about it? Someone, please answer that. My theory is that they didn't do anything about it because they all thought Hillary would win the election and then when she didn't, they all began to cry. Furthermore...the indictments of the 12 Russians by Mueller...what does he really think that's going to accomplish? Those Russians are in Russia...they aren't here! Do you really think Russia is going to allow them to be brought back to the US??? I agree with Trey Gowdy though...Mueller needs to bring the evidence forward as soon as possible...if there is any...or hurry the hell up and end the investigation because it's ripping the country apart.

As for the news conference that everyone is claiming that what he said was treasonous -- one only has to look back in history to FDR...Kennedy (until the missile crisis)...or even Obama...none of those guys really held their own against the Russians either and they did/said things as equally disturbing as Trump did...but you don't hear about it because they were all democrat presidents.

Lastly...it doesn't matter what Trump does...good or bad...the left will always criticize him as well as some members of Trump's own party. Those people want to see him fail no matter what the cost and I think that's wrong. I wasn't an Obama supporter by any stretch of the imagination and I feel that Obama was the worst president of my lifetime so far, and I've lived thru 11 presidents now, but I at least gave him the respect that was deserved because of the office that he held.

--- Mic drop...

JohnAinVA, JWR2018, RubenZ and 4 others like this.
  5. Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rick and Miyako
    Vehicle(s):
    Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
    Liked:
    Computer Nerd
    Garage Profiles:
    I voted for Trump. I held my nose as I pulled the lever but when the news started saying that Texas (where I lived at the time) was in play, I decided against voting for Gary Johnson.

I thought I couldn't be surprised by Trump any longer. His press conference with Putin proved me dead wrong. Frankly, I'm done with him. Something tells me Mattis, Kelly, Bolton, and Pompeo threatened to to walk out on him if he didn't walk back that statement. Note that he READ that statement from paper and he barely even looked at the candidate. It wouldn't surprise me if Mattis threatened to kick his ass in the Oval Office. (I'm being a little facetious)

I know that he didn't cross into the legal definition of treason, which is defined by the Constitution, with that statement however I'm done with him now. Up until that moment I wasn't. I was giving him the benefit of a doubt on North Korea (which might still work out) and the trade war (which is being poorly handled). He also has very valid points on NATO funding. But this,,, this crossed a line for me.

God help us all because the only way to get rid of him, and make Pence the President, is for the Democrats to win out in November. I have little faith in that happening. I pray that Mattis will run in 2020.

shacdaddy and ItsTTime like this.
  6. W5MQS

W5MQS Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mitch
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Have never thought about a potential Mattis for president thing...Hmmm...I have to wonder if he even has those aspirations though. He could have too many "skeletons in the closet" to run. That may not be a bad deal.

7. crazychile

crazychile Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
    Liked:
    Election meddling is nothing new. The US has been doing it for decades, and I have no reason to believe that other first world nations don't do it too. Obama even mentioned the Russian hacks during the election but it never got much coverage until Trump won. I guess they thought Hillary was going to win so it wouldn't matter. Now suddenly its an issue.

As far as our intelligence agencies....there are good people in these agencies but they've been led by corrupt types for too long. It isn't hard to find books written by ex-agents that give lots of details. As far as trust between the President and these agencies? This trust was broken long ago. Trump is just the first prez to call them out on it. Well, there was also Kennedy.

I'm not a Republican but Trump is the first non-independent I've voted for since 2000. He's not all polished and proper like the past few, but I trust him more to represent the people than any other president during my 50+ years.

8. emoody007

emoody007 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    The recent Trump/Putin press conference was a media trap. If he pointed the finger at Putin for meddling then he's justifying Mueller's investigation and in the views of the liberal media admitting that he is an illegitimate President. I promise you that would have been the spin by the media. He has already condemned our intelligence services for political bias so why is it a surprise that he sticks with the narrative of politically corrupt federal agencies? He ran on "Drain the Swamp". I would think that to include more than just politicians. The reason the media is loosing their mind is because their plan didn't work. Again.... They had headlines and stories ready to go. Now they are spinning it like Trump bashed America in front of Russia to kiss Putin's butt. It's not like he was on the Obama apology tour. It's not like he sold Uranium to Russia. And what is meddling anyway? Operatives spamming email and Facebook? Votes being influenced by Social Media and email isn't the same as actual votes being hacked or changed via hacking... (which has been proven false). Do we not run propaganda campaigns constantly ourselves? It's not like Obama's involvement in Isreal or anything. It's not like Hillary's Server got hacked... Oh wait.... This whole thing is being blown out of proportion. This is the media doubling down which has always backfired with this President and is what got him elected in the first place. I'll be honest.... Never really cared for the man myself and I didn't vote in this last election. But based on the utter crap and outright lies and bias by the media I will be voting for him next go around. Good job media you swayed me!!!

Jeeper Fever, RUSTYS and crazychile like this.
  9. W5MQS

W5MQS Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mitch
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    The more the left and the media complain about Trump...the more powerful he becomes and the greater the chances of him being re-elected. All of that just energizes his base. Trump is not my favorite but I'm tired of the establishment and someone needed to shake things up and this is the person we ended up with to do it. And with the media spinning things the way that THEY see fit...to influence public opinion...is wrong and I'm ashamed of them for that. I have to go to foreign news outlets to get the truth about what is happening here. What happened to the press just reporting the news? Can't they keep their opinions to themselves and remain neutral? In school, I was taught that the press was supposed to do that...be neutral. What's happened???

10. Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rick and Miyako
    Vehicle(s):
    Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
    Liked:
    Computer Nerd
    Garage Profiles:
    I'm not sure on whether he has aspirations either. However some of our greatest leaders were those that didn't have aspirations. He may have it thrust upon him in the future. As for skeletons, everyone has those. But I'll tell you this, if Putin fears anyone in Washington DC, Mattis is among them. They don't call him Mad Dog for nothing.

11. crazychile

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    One of the reasons I became an independent was because over my lifetime I had been a registered Democrat and then a registered Republican, but eventually saw how corrupt and controlled both parties were. People often pick a party based on their feelings about one or two issues, and then are forced to eat from the entire poisoned party buffet being served. Then there's the groupthink that only tolerates the "my party is awesome and all the worlds problems are caused by the other party" mentality. I've found that the best solution for me is to be on neither side so that I'm not emotionally invested and can call BS on anyone, or give credit where it's due.

The corruption in both parties is by design. Politicians that are entrenched in the party plan are the ones that are allowed to advance to higher levels. The outsiders and rogue thinkers are kept out or kept at token positions where they can't make much difference. This last presidential election cycle had the opportunity to change this. While I never agreed with Bernie, I respected that people on the left were looking for alternatives. But he was minimized by the DNC and then paid off. Donald Trump was never supposed to be the Republican nominee. Following the media hype through the primaries and the GOP influence, they kept trying to prop up anyone but Trump as the other candidates dropped out. Usually the thing that kills off the more sincere candidates is a lack of campaign money, and being largely ignored by the press. Money wasn't an issue, and the press fell into his trap and gave him a ton of free publicity. He still spent a fraction of what the Hillary campaign did.

I don't see Trump as the end-all fix for the Republican party. There's too much opposition and too much to do. But maybe he paves the way for future candidates that can continue the trend.

The Democrats are still back at square one.

As far as the media goes, Trump may have been the first one to use the fake media term, but theres a lot of us that have been keyed into this for a long time. I still glance at mainstream media occasionally to see what the daily lies are being peddled, but the alternative and foreign media are my main sources. It's a shock to most people when I tell them Russia Today (RT) is more truthful than CNN or Fox.

JWR2018, Jeeper Fever and CostanzaJL like this.
  12. W5MQS

W5MQS Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mitch
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    @crazychile - That's funny that you mention RT as a news source. That's one of the main news websites that I read as well. And just about anything is better than CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS or NBC...FOX is even biased but I don't feel as badly as the aforementioned networks. At least they hire reporters from both sides.

crazychile likes this.
  13. crazychile

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I don't remember specific names at the moment, but a year or two ago I would read or watch RT and see someone that I had liked from another network, but had disappeared. It was like there were all these people from the mass media that got fired or quit for telling the other side of the story, and then they had jobs at RT.

Jeeper Fever likes this.
  14. W5MQS

W5MQS Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mitch
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Hmmm...imagine that. Typical for the mainstream media...and doesn't surprise me in the least.

15. iznthesky

iznthesky Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Edgar
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
    Liked:
    As far as Mueller is concerned....I don't see him ending his investigation any time soon. After all if nothing comes of this....He and the other investigators are making $$$$$$$$. Prior to retirement he was making excess of $ 175 K. I don't know if he is receiving his previous salary or if this accounts for overtime....on top of his retirement but the man is making huge $. Currently his investigation has cost the American taxpayers....(YES that's US) excess of 17 million dollars.
    Why in the world would the investigative team want to end their $$$$$$-money train-$$$$$ ? Of course they are not going to end this. They will continue to "investigate" and I am sure they will continue to uncover crimes and prosecute underlings of the current administration.....anything to keep the $$$-money train$$$ going. If you were getting $RICH$ from your work, would you end it or find ways to keep your self employed. If they had anything against President Trump, certainly...some body would know it by now. We will just have to wait and see.....how long this goes on....and how much of our tax money is spent on this. SAD but TRUE.