First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lustmord.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU. It's a Jeep.
Hey guys, since this thread has been very helpful so far and I'm placing an order for a few parts I need, I was hoping that someone could suggest the best cable to run and also advise on how best to protect cable running through the engine bay (I'll also be attaching cube lights to my A pillar and running the cable to my Aux wires near the battery).

Note that while I can do basic electrical work like changing outlets at home etc I'm not an expert and bring in an electrician for serious work, but lights on my JLU I can do, I just nee to make sure I'm running proper parts.

Should I be running cross-linked cable? SXL?
What kind of heat resistant sleeve to use for cable running in the engine bay?

Thanks - with apologies for hijacking the thread slightly.

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLR HellaYella!
@Scott1911

Like you, I went from hole to hole on the frame rail. There are quite a few holes on the frame rail.
I pulled a couple of feet at a time. I used a metal coat hanger. I would not try to do the run in one pull.
Took me about 10-15 minutes to make it to the back of my 2 dr..
What would you say the max diameter cable I could run through the frame rail? I want to run multi-conductor.. Thx

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@LagunaJim1

The frame rail cavity is big.. you could get a pretty good size cable through it.

That's on the 2 dr. With the 4 dr. there is a narrow area at the rear that is a little more restrictive.

With that said, a cable the diameter of nickel even, could be passed through the frame rail on a 2 door's passenger side, I believe.

The4x4Guys

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_0283.jpeg
@Maddingo
I installed Rigid b/u lights on my back bumper. I ran the wire from AUX 3 connection in the engine compartment, through the frame rail on the passenger side.

You can access the frame rail right below the JL's main battery. Just drop the wire straight down to the hollow frame rail... Running the wire through the frame rails is easy ... it iss a straight shot. Just fish it through. Took me about 10 mins to do.

You are only running a single wire from upfront through the frame rail.. You ground your Rigids right at the rear bumper.

Sure you could pickup an Aux in the passenger foot well but for exterior lights, it makes little sense to do this.

rigid-lites.jpg

I have LED cubes in my JCR Offroad bumper and like Rhinebeck01, I ran the wire thru the frame rails up to the engine compartment to connect to the Aux engine compartment wiring block. That was a piece of cake, since with my lift I am able to get under the Jeep without having to jack it up.

Now however, I am contemplating wiring these LED's to my backup lights (reverse) . Anyone know a good place to tap into the backup light wiring?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMG_0283.jpeg

I have LED cubes in my JCR Offroad bumper and like Rhinebeck01, I ran the wire thru the frame rails up to the engine compartment to connect to the Aux engine compartment wiring block. That was a piece of cake, since with my lift I am able to get under the Jeep without having to jack it up.

Now however, I am contemplating wiring these LED's to my backup lights (reverse) . Anyone know a good place to tap into the backup light wiring?
@The4x4Guys

Since you are already wired to an Aux switch, to do what you need to do is very easy, but you will also need to add two diodes.

This thread contains all the info you need:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/backup-lights.10763/

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure where to post this, thread wise but this stuff is great to have on hand when you are doing wiring... actually comes in real handy for other stuff also.

I use it lots on trailer wiring and have used it on wiring I have done on the JL.

No, do not use it to replace heat shrink, but do use in conjunction with it when.if necessary. Thus stuff applied in a few light coats works very well and is very durable.

I use it on electrical but just yesterday, used it to mend up the engine compartment sound proofing hood liner. Two small areas on the sides of the liner had separated and this stuff sealed it up really well and even matched in color.

Anyway, this stuff sure can come in handy.. One bottle will last you ages.... 8-)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FPAN2K/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
71pasIUrnfL._SL1500_.jpg

EAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR Granite
Vehicle Showcase
@Maddingo
I installed Rigid b/u lights on my back bumper. I ran the wire from AUX 3 connection in the engine compartment, through the frame rail on the passenger side.

You can access the frame rail right below the JL's main battery. Just drop the wire straight down to the hollow frame rail... Running the wire through the frame rails is easy ... it iss a straight shot. Just fish it through. Took me about 10 mins to do.

You are only running a single wire from upfront through the frame rail.. You ground your Rigids right at the rear bumper.

Sure you could pickup an Aux in the passenger foot well but for exterior lights, it makes little sense to do this.

rigid-lites.jpg

I want to do the same setup as you have here ..but does the Rigid ignite b/u light kit include the wiring harness you used to run through the front in order to connect to the aux switch? ..It says it only comes with the 48” Wire Leads.

If anybody can help I appreciate it.. thanks

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want to do the same setup as you have here ..but does the Rigid ignite b/u light kit include the wiring harness you used to run through the front in order to connect to the aux switch? ..It says it only comes with the 48” Wire Leads.

If anybody can help I appreciate it.. thanks
@EAR

A harness is not necessary nor does a harness come with the Rigid Industries 20541 Lighting offering as shown here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HJ4G93G/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Along with the Rigids, you will need to buy a small spool of 16g automotive wire, some connectors, shrink wrap, plastic wire shield and 2 diodes.

Reactions: EAR

Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Just mounted a Baja Designs S2 Pro Flood under the rear bumper. Thank you, @Rhinebeck01, for the tip about running the wire through the passenger side frame rail. It was pretty easy to fish it through. I was also able to use one of the existing bolts under the rear bumper to attach the light bracket. Here are some pics...

IMG_3650.jpeg

IMG_3652.jpeg

IMG_3653.jpeg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@chacomaya

Looking good! Glad the info helped you.

Yes, real easy to fish through the passenger frame rail and yes.... there are bolts under the bumper, that are there for the using...

Good that you kept the aux b/u light down low. When you run the light higher it tends to cause a glare issue in regard to the back-up camera.
You reap a much crisper / cleaner view when glare is not an in the picture..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

pcpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Firecracker Red

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
@Bearman95

Curious, what would be the motivating factor(s) to run wiring from interior to exterior versus running wire from exterior to exterior?

To me this seems like the hard way (yes a way) to run power to an external light. You are having to go through the interior and then have to go out to the exterior.

Makes more sense to me to use engine compartment Aux for all exterior accessories and for interior accessories you use the Aux found in the passenger foot well.

I would not run them in the frame. If you ever want to lift the body to do some serious mod or work it will be a pain. From the factory, there are a few things to disconnect (brake lines, fuel filler, wire harness connectors, etc.) and the body can be lifted. This will not be possible with wires run inside the frame and then into the body. There are wiring channels inside the body with factory wiring. I think it's best to put any additional wiring in the same channels as the factory wiring.
Sponsored