Running wires from back bumper to Auxiliary switches

Maddingo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Wrangler TJ, 2018 Wrangler JL
I am installing Rigid lights on my rear bumper. I want to wire them to the Auxiliary switches on the Rubicon. Does anyone know the best route to run the wires? Not sure if it's inside access or outside access.

Thanks!
Mike
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Maddingo
I installed Rigid b/u lights on my back bumper. I ran the wire from AUX 3 connection in the engine compartment, through the frame rail on the passenger side.

You can access the frame rail right below the JL's main battery. Just drop the wire straight down to the hollow frame rail... Running the wire through the frame rails is easy ... it iss a straight shot. Just fish it through. Took me about 10 mins to do.

You are only running a single wire from upfront through the frame rail.. You ground your Rigids right at the rear bumper.

Sure you could pickup an Aux in the passenger foot well but for exterior lights, it makes little sense to do this.

rigid-lites.jpg

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
You could go through a drain hole to get Insiee and up under the dash, but the above seems like a better choice. I did my roof rack lights to the inside but drilled through the hardtop to make it happen.

mdallas

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M50i, BMW X5 40i, JLU Sahara
there are some 12v in the back if you have an Unlimited. you could power the fuse with the aux switch.
Screenshot_20180816-204423_Chrome.jpg

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I ran mine high on the DRIVERS/w-tywraps to side/frame/harness's and used the drivers side DRAIN hole/w sealer in the removable plug-

Then went behind the dash/to the "AUX SW. WIRES"-

COPASETIC !

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

OP
OP

Maddingo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Maddingo
I installed Rigid b/u lights on my back bumper. I ran the wire from AUX 3 connection in the engine compartment, through the frame rail on the passenger side.

You can access the frame rail right below the JL's main battery. Just drop the wire straight down to the hollow frame rail... Running the wire through the frame rails is easy ... it iss a straight shot. Just fish it through. Took me about 10 mins to do.

You are only running a single wire from upfront through the frame rail.. You ground your Rigids right at the rear bumper.

Sure you could pickup an Aux in the passenger foot well but for exterior lights, it makes little sense to do this.

rigid-lites.jpg

Sounds easy enough. Thanks!

OP
OP

Maddingo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Maddingo

rigid-lites.jpg

Is the wire for Aux 3 already in the engine compartment or do I have to run that? I didn't see it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Maddingo
In both the engine compartment and in the passenger foot well, you have Aux 1, Aux 2, Aux 3, Aux 4.

In either place you will find all the Aux wires bundled together.

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
You can go up through your tail light. There’s a cut out to the right inside the jeep on the very top of the trim that allows you access. This is the same cut out that you use to remove the tail light. Go from the bottom of the jeep up through the tail light and you will have access to the right side of your vehicle. Run the wires along the top edge of the carpet To the auxiliary switch. I hooked up my rigid Back up lights to auxiliary switch number four on the inside of the jeep using this method. I do not have any photographs before you ask. I think if you will Google how to remove the rear tail light everything else will fall in place for you.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can go up through your tail light. There’s a cut out to the right inside the jeep on the very top of the trim that allows you access. This is the same cut out that you use to remove the tail light. Go from the bottom of the jeep up through the tail light and you will have access to the right side of your vehicle. Run the wires along the top edge of the carpet To the auxiliary switch. I hooked up my rigid Back up lights to auxiliary switch number four on the inside of the jeep using this method. I do not have any photographs before you ask. I think if you will Google how to remove the rear tail light everything else will fall in place for you.
@Bearman95

Curious, what would be the motivating factor(s) to run wiring from interior to exterior versus running wire from exterior to exterior?

To me this seems like the hard way (yes a way) to run power to an external light. You are having to go through the interior and then have to go out to the exterior.

Makes more sense to me to use engine compartment Aux for all exterior accessories and for interior accessories you use the Aux found in the passenger foot well.

Sponsored

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
@Bearman95

Curious, what would be the motivating factor(s) to run wiring from interior to exterior versus running wire from exterior to exterior?

To me this seems like the hard way (yes a way) to run power to an external light. You are having to go through the interior and then have to go out to the exterior.

Makes more sense to me to use engine compartment Aux for all exterior accessories and for interior accessories you use the Aux found in the passenger foot well.

Just giving them another option, that’s the way I did mine. I don’t know that one was any better than the other, I guess it’s his choice.

Lustmord

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lustmord.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU. It's a Jeep.
This is the ideal way for me to run the cable for the cubes I'm about to mount at the back, but I can't figure out where you got your cable in and out of the frame rail, I can't see obvious point by just poking around, any pointers appreciated.

And thanks for posting this either way.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Lustmord

I have a 2 dr. and you have a 4 dr.

With my 2 dr., you look straight down from where the main battery is mounted, you see the passenger frame rail. On my 2dr you can actually see the opening in the side of the passenger frame rail if you look in the passenger wheel well. I would think the JLU frame rail has similar openings.

See pic below. You can see the wire with the black protective plastic wire wrap over it running into the frame rail opening.

20181024_120533.jpg

Scott1911

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 Door Unicorn
I ran mine through the passenger side frame rail. There are many holes to enter and exit. I did NOT try and pull the entire length at once, I fed the fish tape a few feet at a time. I did not run a single wire, but instead a 2 conductor cable in a quality overall PVC jacket for a bit more protection. Some places in the frame rail only have a fraction of an inch opening.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ran mine through the passenger side frame rail. There are many holes to enter and exit. I did NOT try and pull the entire length at once, I fed the fish tape a few feet at a time. I did not run a single wire, but instead a 2 conductor cable in a quality overall PVC jacket for a bit more protection. Some places in the frame rail only have a fraction of an inch opening.
@Scott1911

Like you, I went from hole to hole on the frame rail. There are quite a few holes on the frame rail.
I pulled a couple of feet at a time. I used a metal coat hanger. I would not try to do the run in one pull.
Took me about 10-15 minutes to make it to the back of my 2 dr..
Sponsored