Sponsored

Running wire from interior to exterior of rear?

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
I have the Maximus-3 Roof Rack and am trying to wire from engine bay to the interior of the trunk, and then up the roll cage to the roof rack. I will run the wire through the frame rail along the length of the undercarriage but is there a way to get from the exterior to the interior of the jeep trunk short of drilling a hole in the floor metal?
Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I think there are drain plugs in the storage compartment and maybe jack compartment.
I used the ones under the seat to get wires inside, by using a razor to put a small slice in the plug and run a wire through, so the plugs still seal, but the wires inside.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
If you take the wire all the way back you can come up from underneath, behind the taillight and into the cabin. You have to remove the plastic interior panels on whichever side you choose to come up, and puncture through the rubber grommet. There is one little cover and if I remember correctly a 10mm plastic bolt that holds the taillights in place(its been a while I may be wrong) but removing it gives you easy access to the wire you are running.

I had to do the opposite to run my camera/third brake light wires back outside the Jeep for my swing out tire carrier.

Hope that helps.

20180410_173855.jpg

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
If you take the wire all the way back you can come up from underneath, behind the taillight and into the cabin. You have to remove the plastic interior panels on whichever side you choose to come up, and puncture through the rubber grommet. There is one little cover and if I remember correctly a 10mm plastic bolt that holds the taillights in place(its been a while I may be wrong) but removing it gives you easy access to the wire you are running.

I had to do the opposite to run my camera/third brake light wires back outside the Jeep for my swing out tire carrier.

Hope that helps.

20180410_173855.jpg
Do you ever get up to the Montgomery area? Could sure use some help when we finally get out roam stuff!

Brett

Sponsored

lagunajim

Not to be contrary, but I never understood why people don't just go through the firewall by the driver's left foot along gutter underneath the black plastic cover of the doorsill to the rear, and under the carpet. Why underneath where rocks/snow/rain/etc. are banging around?

OP
OP
ImAJeepskate

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
Not to be contrary, but I never understood why people don't just go through the firewall by the driver's left foot along gutter underneath the black plastic cover of the doorsill to the rear, and under the carpet. Why underneath where rocks/snow/rain/etc. are banging around?
Because I have a standard transmission and the pass through is where my clutch pedal is located.

lagunajim

Whatever you want, but there’s a whole lotta space under that dash to run a wire.

I’ve been under there COUNTLESS times in three Jeeps :)

There’s an existing rubber grommet hole in the firewall with more than one harness going through it..

robmoz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Whatever you want, but there’s a whole lotta space under that dash to run a wire.

I’ve been under there COUNTLESS times in three Jeeps :)

There’s an existing rubber grommet hole in the firewall with more than one harness going through it..
Jim, I agree that the hole you cite is great for automatic transmission owners, but you do appreciate that Grant's situation @ImAJeepskate ,being a manual transmission owner, is that the aforementioned opening serves purpose (at least I believe it does) for his clutch and is not a "choice" for him to use, correct?

For both manual and automatic transmission owners there's always the less trivial passenger's side grommet. Here it is, being tapped for the 7 pin trailer wiring harness install. Hanger and wire lube, IMHO, not optional:

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Do you ever get up to the Montgomery area? Could sure use some help when we finally get out roam stuff!

Brett

If I recall correctly from when I installed a gas cap cover, and consistent with this clip, getting a taillight temporarily removed isn't that bad; doing so granting, if I remember correctly, access to openings for wiring to be sent to spaces below the rig. You'll need a screwdriver and the rig supplied T30 torx bit and wrench. Once the taillight is removed, I don't think you will need to detach its wiring to get your work done, thereafter reinstalling your taillight.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I have the Maximus-3 Roof Rack and am trying to wire from engine bay to the interior of the trunk, and then up the roll cage to the roof rack. I will run the wire through the frame rail along the length of the undercarriage but is there a way to get from the exterior to the interior of the jeep trunk short of drilling a hole in the floor metal?
Grant, I cannot speak to the power draw on your rack, nor whether or not you have the cigarette lighter plug in your cargo area. But maybe, this power draw and availability of the plug notwithstanding, you can energize things from this cigarette lighter starting point.

Note: if you have this cigarette lighter plug in the cargo area, please appreciate that by default, FCA has it energized all the time. Flipping a fuse, as per the owner's manual, if you wish, can get the plug to change when its energized to be more consistent with the cigarette lighter plug in the dash: which is energized only when the rig is on (i.e. accessory mode.)

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
If I recall correctly from when I installed a gas cap cover, and consistent with this clip, getting a taillight temporarily removed isn't that bad; doing so granting, if I remember correctly, access to openings for wiring to be sent to spaces below the rig. You'll need a screwdriver and the rig supplied T30 torx bit and wrench. Once the taillight is removed, I don't think you will need to detach its wiring to get your work done, thereafter reinstalling your taillight.

I was taking the thread on a slight detour and asking Chris about his interest in helping me install my frame mounted west coast sliders and rear bumper/tire carrier

Brett

lagunajim

Jim, I agree that the hole you cite is great for automatic transmission owners, but you do appreciate that Grant's situation @ImAJeepskate ,being a manual transmission owner, is that the aforementioned opening serves purpose (at least I believe it does) for his clutch and is not a "choice" for him to use, correct?

For both manual and automatic transmission owners there's always the less trivial passenger's side grommet. Here it is, being tapped for the 7 pin trailer wiring harness install. Hanger and wire lube, IMHO, not optional:

All 3 of mine are manual trans as well - always found room up there for a well-tied-down wire -- but whatever works so long as we're all having fun and being safe!

Happy holidays!!
Sponsored