Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
My wife's JL has open diffs and I like to keep it in 4LO for her so she has the most traction possible as we are climbing over rocks and going through slick spots on climbs. Is it bad to continue to run in 4LO for hours at a time (like 4 hours) when running trails? It's hard for her to go in and out of 4LO but it might be time to get her more comfortable with it.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
My wife's JL has open diffs and I like to keep it in 4LO for her so she has the most traction possible as we are climbing over rocks and going through slick spots on climbs. Is it bad to continue to run in 4LO for hours at a time (like 4 hours) when running trails? It's hard for her to go in and out of 4LO but it might be time to get her more comfortable with it.
Should be fine as long as you don't go too fast. I've gotten pretty good at going in and out of 4 LO quickly so the longer gravel roads aren't much issue for me. But at Windrock I kept the Jeep in 4LO pretty much the whole time on the numbered trails.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
No, it's fine

I guess theoretically you're placing additional wear on the planetaries but I've never heard of a 'case failing that way.

You're saving your torque converter (or clutch) worlds of work and that's WAY more important....if we're talking long-term wear

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
No, it's fine

I guess theoretically you're placing additional wear on the planetaries but I've never heard of a 'case failing that way.

You're saving your torque converter (or clutch) worlds of work and that's WAY more important....if we're talking long-term wear
Thanks. Oh I'm talking long term wear, we plan on keeping this a long time and already have 26k after 14 months of owning it. One guy said just keep up with fluid changes in t-case and diff.
Sponsored