a

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
I recently received my new Bestop Halftop that Iā€™m hoping to run through the Chicago winter. Planning to put my hardtop into storage. Will I regret that choice? Itā€™s the premium twill material
I have never had a problem with any of my soft tops, factory or Bestop in the New England winters.

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Haven't run my soft top JL through a NEPA winter yet, but I never had any issues with my JK.

Actually, there is one thing that's tough - keeping the back window clean without scratching it terribly. The road salt gathers on there pretty heavily and using the gas station squeegie-in-a-bucket pretty much destroyed the back window of my JK.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
I recently received my new Bestop Halftop that Iā€™m hoping to run through the Chicago winter. Planning to put my hardtop into storage. Will I regret that choice? Itā€™s the premium twill material
Even the OEM soft top on my 93 YJ back in the 90ā€™s kept me warm in northern MN winters. And the soft top on my ā€˜03 TJ was a winner. I bet youā€™ll be good!

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
And what @Frank R. saidā€¦youā€™ll definitely NOT want to use anything on the window part or youā€™ll get some major scratches. When mine got dirty Iā€™d hose it down well then wash it with soap and water. Kind of a pain, but worth it.

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
You have a good soft top from Bestop, so you can use it all winter. But you do have options. For me I would run the hardtop during the winter.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Iā€™d be worried about heavy ice and snow sitting on that rear shelf and stretching it out. Unless thereā€™s some support bows then that wouldnā€™t be an issue. Does it seal up completely?

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I also live in a cold place. Around here, the hard tops go on about when the World Series starts and stay on until the baseball season starts again. However, as has been pointed out, the newer tops, combined with the great heater on the JL, will allow you to live with a soft top fairly well, even in Chicago.

Crum44

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordering 2022 Willys
I'm in process of building a 2022 Willys, I keep going back and forth between Preium soft top or hardtop. My concern with soft top in NJ winters is keeping windows clean from the salt and brine they put on roadways here. Guess like others say I could hose them clean, or use power washer at one of those self clean car wash places. I really do not like the look of hardtop from inside jeep. Looks like your in a igloo cooler. I do like the flip up window in hard top to make it easier to get stuff in back. Was looking to go Sarge Green with tan premium soft top. Looks awesome.
Jeep Wrangler JL a Screenshot_20211114-145838_Chrome

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I'm in process of building a 2022 Willys, I keep going back and forth between Preium soft top or hardtop. My concern with soft top in NJ winters is keeping windows clean from the salt and brine they put on roadways here. Guess like others say I could hose them clean, or use power washer at one of those self clean car wash places. I really do not like the look of hardtop from inside jeep. Looks like your in a igloo cooler. I do like the flip up window in hard top to make it easier to get stuff in back. Was looking to go Sarge Green with tan premium soft top. Looks awesome.
I have the standard sailcloth top on my 2-door Sport. I've had no issues the last two winters as far as staying warm, and I bet the premium top is even better because it has an extra layer of material on the inside. The rear window is not easy to see out of if you're driving through wet salted/brined roads as a lot of stuff gets caught in the wake of the Jeep and collects on the window, but that's about the only downfall. There's three bows across the top so it won't bend with the weight of snow on it.

Cleaning the window is easy enough...as you mentioned, the spray hose at the coin op car wash, or Plexus cleaner. That stuff lifts the dirt right off, and then wipe with a microfiber towel.

Crum44

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordering 2022 Willys
I have the standard sailcloth top on my 2-door Sport. I've had no issues the last two winters as far as staying warm, and I bet the premium top is even better because it has an extra layer of material on the inside. The rear window is not easy to see out of if you're driving through wet salted/brined roads as a lot of stuff gets caught in the wake of the Jeep and collects on the window, but that's about the only downfall. There's three bows across the top so it won't bend with the weight of snow on it.

Cleaning the window is easy enough...as you mentioned, the spray hose at the coin op car wash, or Plexus cleaner. That stuff lifts the dirt right off, and then wipe with a microfiber towel.

Thanks for feedback on soft top in winter. After sitting in jeep with both tops, just really do not care for freedom panels. Thanks again for feedback.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Grew up down in Manahakwin with Jeeps (never owned a hard top) with no issues. Just use one of those self-wash stations every now and then, and you will be fine. Just a word of caution, I have the tan soft top (Hellayella Willys 2-door) and it seems like replacemets are tough to come by, but it does look awesome. Good luck with your build!

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Thanks for feedback on soft top in winter. After sitting in jeep with both tops, just really do not care for freedom panels. Thanks again for feedback.
Sure thing! As an aside, we've left the twill top on my wife's longer than usual...I usually swap it out with my son at the end of October, but we've had such busy weekends that we haven't gotten around to it yet. It is definitely warmer than mine when you first open it up on a cold morning, and quieter on the road too compared to the standard top. You'll be happy with it!

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
If you get a soft top only from the factory it does not come wired for a hard top nor does it have the mounting tabs. So if you ever decide to grab one, youā€™ll be adding these items. Easy enough on the tabs and the dealer will install a kit that adds the wires, plumbing and control stalk for the rear wiper.

Youā€™d be fine with just a soft top. But youā€™d be better served all around by getting both. I switch them in October and in April the soft top goes on. Rear window washer and wiper in the salty melt is worth it alone.
Sponsored