Sponsored

Running in 4 Hi in the rain

Tbackus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Hello, new to the Jeep world, enjoying an 18 JLU Sport S. So I realized pretty quickly that my Jeep does not have a limited slip differential. I came from the muscle car world, and always have had LSD. Jeep slips in the rain on one particular up hill right turn from local road to 4 lane major road. Wife now hates when we take the Jeep out in the rain.

Is it ok to run the Jeep in 4HI while on wet roads for extended time??

Thanks.
Sponsored

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, new to the Jeep world, enjoying an 18 JLU Sport S. So I realized pretty quickly that my Jeep does not have a limited slip differential. I came from the muscle car world, and always have had LSD. Jeep slips in the rain on one particular up hill right turn from local road to 4 lane major road. Wife now hates when we take the Jeep out in the rain.

Thanks.
I think 4-Hi would be fine to use on wet roads, since it would be similar to running it all the time in snowy climates.

I also think the manual says you shouldn’t go over 55mph in 4-Hi. Otherwise I think you’re good.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Thats where auto 4 wd comes in handy. Had that on my last 3 trucks. Don't really agree with you shouldn't be driving a jeep. Pick ups have always been bad turning and taking off on wet asphalt. My wife will be in for a rude awakening this winter, she is used to awd Durango.

RubiconGaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon granite, 2006 Rubicon beige, 1995 green Sahara, 1995 Sport aqua with splash (hers), 1995 Sahara beige (his). 2005 liberty and 2006 grand Cherokee limited
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks.
What is your tire pressure at? When I got mine they were at 41. I lowered it to 36 and now it feels better.more grippy.

Worth a shot!

Sponsored

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I drive in 4 hi all the time when the roads are wet. You just have to remember to shift back to 2 hi before you do any low speed turning or the vehicle will jerk and you could break something. You aren’t supposed to shift into 4 hi above 45, but I regularly drive in 4 hi at highway speeds if the roads are wet. No issues.

RubiconGaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon granite, 2006 Rubicon beige, 1995 green Sahara, 1995 Sport aqua with splash (hers), 1995 Sahara beige (his). 2005 liberty and 2006 grand Cherokee limited
Vehicle Showcase

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
I'm not one to usually post crap but this is crap. If you or your wife cannot drive in the rain then stay home. I don't care what kind of differential you have. I'm so sick of people and them wanting everyone to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. LEARN HOW TO DRIVE !!!

Last edited:

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed my pressure was also high. Do all ship that way?
Yes, that is common with most car makers. For shipment, the tire pressure is set super high and plastic spacers are used to keep the shocks from compressing when the vehicle is tied down (at least when I worked for BMW). The psi should have been lowered during the pre-delivery inspection, but this obviously doesn’t happen consistantly.

Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Without a limited slip differential, how will a Wrangler Sport perform on a rough dirt track?

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
My Rubicon doesn’t have a limited slip. Whatever will I do? End of the world I tell ya.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
I have a good friend. He is a great man.

This friend once bought a small Honda motorcycle. He road it around his yard a few times but never made it out of his yard. He sold the bike within a few weeks.

Maybe its time to get a for sale sign!