First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Maybe they went off the road in the rain???
If only they knew how to use 4hi those tragedies wouldn’t have had to happen.

Actually, it’s amzing how many don’t how how to put it in 4hi (forget 4lo). So many Wranglers have never once been out of 2wd.
Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
It can go 2-3 months here with no measurable rain. Then we’ll get 2+ inches in an hour. The roads get super slick with all the oil and dust build up. It’s almost like driving on ice.
Then 4WD is the worst as you'll lose static traction. So why if it's slick do you need more acceleration? The knuckleheads who raced on ice in 4WD found out the hard way. If you're in a straight line drag race, 4D is the way to go, but not going around corners.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Then 4WD is the worst as you'll lose static traction. So why if it's slick do you need more acceleration? The knuckleheads who raced on ice in 4WD found out the hard way. If you're in a straight line drag race, 4D is the way to go, but not going around corners.
I don’t know. Fishtailing sideways when the light turns red and I’m on a grade for one. Shift to 4hi and off I go. Works for me. Not worth arguing about.

Reactions: J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I don’t know. Fishtailing sideways when the light turns red and I’m on a grade for one. Shift to 4hi and off I go. Works for me. Not worth arguing about.
For sure you can accelerate off the line much faster, it's high speed turns that are dangerous.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Yeah, For those less experienced, do it at your own risk. These aren’t CRVs or RAV4s. It’s not set it and forget it. You need to put it back in 2wd when there is no longer a need for the extra traction. A lot of owners are afraid to use the 4wd, and they shouldn’t be.

So, I get your point. Most Wranglers don’t have the 4auto setting. Those are the ones you can set and forget.

Sponsored

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Got tired of reading after 6 pages to see if anyone has said what I wanted to say, so here it is.

you should not drive in 4hi on pavement of any conditions for an extended amount of time. I would consider using 4hi like option number 4 or 5.

remind her that ESC is there and it will do its job. You paid for it, use it ;) I believe it comes on at an appropriate time. After snow here, and I head out in the jeep, let’s do some fish tailing before the main road. I always forget to turn off ESC and it always comes on quickly from my perspective, reminding me it’s there, and to turn it off, back to having fun.

reduce power. When you start to fight physics, let physics realign by reducing power, to reduce tire spin, to again find the road. again, I find that ESC gives a good amount of time for you to do this, and when it says enough is enough, it will be there.

tires, are the things making contact with the road. If you live somewhere with more rain, or other environments that leading to slipping, look for tires that might work better in those environments. Tires are definitely not a one size fits all, get what works in your environment.

You know that spot, so just slow down there, take paths to avoid the slick parts.

4hi, is there if you need it.

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
45k later and I need to replace these tires. What do we like now. Combination of performance (mostly on road), traction (ski often) and good looks.

Have at it!

Thanks in advance!

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
45k later and I need to replace these tires. What do we like now. Combination of performance (mostly on road), traction (ski often) and good looks.

Have at it!

Thanks in advance!
I am fairly set on Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws for my next tires. I've never bought Falkens before, but I hear nothing but good things about them, and I've been impressed with the "A/T lite" version (H/T, I think?) that came on my fiance's Compass Trailhawk.

I would consider a set of the upcoming BFG KO3s, as well - I've been very happy with the KO2s except for their rain performance, which it looks like the new ones aim to address.

As is, I'm wishing I'd gotten the factory option for the Wildpeak M/Ts. We usually take the Compass when it rains just because of how easily the KO2s lose traction. The full-time 4WD is handy, too.

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales
When operating your Jeep Wrangler 4WD this video should be helpful Hope this helps!

Rodinator1234

First Name
Rod Forester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 3.0 Ecodiesel
What I find interesting is, people that have never been to Moab and have driven on the rocks there in August would freak out about the binding and stress it puts on your four wheel drive system. The traction is insane when you air down, the rocks are hot in 4L trying to turn. Driving on dry pavement, in 4H with open Dif's is no stress compared to that. In the midwest, when it's snowing/raining 30ish degrees part covered roads. Part snow, part dry. I have driven many miles in several different vehicles over the years in 4H and never, ever had a problem or had a failure.
Sponsored