Running in 4 Hi in the rain

OldGuyNewJeep

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I’m not a poopy head! You’re a poopy head!
Advertisement

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Ask a simple question and the a$$hats come out of the woodwork..
A modern Wrangler should perform great in the rain while in 2 wheel drive. If you are having problems it can almost certainly be attributed to the tires. (Just like any other vehicle that isn’t performing as well as it should in the rain.)

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
A modern Wrangler should perform great in the rain while in 2 wheel drive. If you are having problems it can almost certainly be attributed to the tires. (Just like any other vehicle that isn’t performing as well as it should in the rain.)
Or the driver or suspension defect, :)

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
A comma does not suggest additive. It's a list separator.
6th grade grammar
Who said it was an additive? A list can be A "and" B.

If you went to a private school, call them, you may still get your money back :giggle:

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Its the tires, not the vehicle..
It’s also a factor of how much you mod a truck from what Jeep safety engineers designed it to be in factory form.

Many Wrangler owners replace the factory tires as soon as they buy it, which immediately washes away the synergy the truck was carefully designed to have. Tires are important. An extreme example: Porsche has “approved” tires for each vehicle that are thoroughly tested for synergy, performance and safety (usually two brands), and they get a specific “N” rating on the sidewall.

Maybe the aftermarket wheels and tires you go with will perform just as well, or better, in the rain. But maybe not. Me? If performance on wet roads was a concern of mine I’d leave the factory rubber on.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I'm pretty sure that if you stick the Pirelli Scorpions from my Explorer on a Jeep, it'd do great in the rain. Yes, of course it'd suck at doing most things you expect a Jeep to do. But the point is that tires make the difference.

If you do choose a tire which gives poor traction in the rain, then naturally you'll slip. If you're slipping, then naturally your drivetrain won't bind up in 4wd (unless you take a really tight corner). Seems like a pretty obvious trade-off, no?

Advertisement

Extreme Terrain

Advertisement