Running doorless (is it just me?)

BBETTS123

First Name
BRANDON BETTS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRANGLER
Why? I remove just the fronts on mine all the time and it is fine, no issues. I usually have the back windows down and all the soft top windows removed but even when I don't there are no issues with it.
It just creates a crazy wind tunnel effect. The last and only time I did it was on about a 40 mile trip and it was so bad before I went to head home my other half had me remove my rear doors and put them in the back. I don't remember what top if any I had on I just remember being crazy fatigued from the wind.
Sponsored

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Okay as a fairly new first time Jeep owner I am going to be the lame one and ask the question, is anyone else hesitant about having the doors off going 70MPH on the highway around other cars and semi's? I haven't tried it, but kinda freaks me out. With doors off I'd just want to putz around town. For people who do have them off on the highway, I assume its no big deal I guess?

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
I drive with the doors off (often on highway) and dont have any "hurricane winds" - if anything i feel the ride is quieter - the hardtop really echoes the engine noise in the cabin.

Doors off with hardtop on and back window closed changes it a bit - bit maybe im less sensitive to the elements? you cant expect a cube to be aerodynamic and smooth - a quiet non-windy top down driving experience are what BMW convertibles are for

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Do you have all the doors off or just the fronts. I tried just removing the fronts a few years ago on my JK and I will never make that mistake again. I see people doing it and I just laugh.
I have toddlers in car seats in my back seat so the rear doors stay on. :like:

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Okay as a fairly new first time Jeep owner I am going to be the lame one and ask the question, is anyone else hesitant about having the doors off going 70MPH on the highway around other cars and semi's? I haven't tried it, but kinda freaks me out. With doors off I'd just want to putz around town. For people who do have them off on the highway, I assume its no big deal I guess?
No issue for me. Kinda reminds me of my days on 2 wheels, though the Jeep w/ the doors off is FAR safer.

Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
May sound silly, but when I go doorless and topless, I throw on some Peltor Comtac Vs or Ops Core Amps (any ear pro would work). Cuts out all the wind noise and even without the ambient mics turned on I can hear the radio great. Then I plug into some handheld radios and chat with buddies on the drive to work or while off-roading.
Yeah I used earpro everyday on the highway for 7 years in my TJ that I ran doorless easter to thanksgiving.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A jeep that’s doorless & topless should not be your “drive to the office” transportation. If you do you’ll be disappointed unless you are bald and work outdoors Lol..
We don't need this kind of negativity in our lives.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
I run mine 3 different ways in the summer....

all together if the forecast looks possibly rainy and i know i am gonna drive the jeep.

topless but w doors, if i know im going somewhere over an hour away and dont want to leave the jeep naked.

or completely naked, i have a rain gear cover if needed. i actually do enjoy driving the jeep stripped down. especially if the forecast looks favorable. I have been caught in a few downpours and its not so much fun lol. My s/o and her son rode in it and loved it also. As some have said depending on how hot it is, and where we are going the wind can be tiring. I just think of it as being on motorcycle w 4 wheels. lol

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You get used to it eventually.

Sponsored

SaltySoul

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
A jeep that’s doorless & topless should not be your “drive to the office” transportation. If you do you’ll be disappointed unless you are bald and work outdoors Lol..
Any JEEP I've ever owned has had the the summer combo & the doors off from May through September, soft doors for the rainy days... Gaiter for the hair of course!
My work commute is <20 so I'm lucky there.
There's no better feeling than the sun on your face & having that openness :involve:

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I love having the doors off, freeways and all. Our heat here in Vegas makes it a bit rough. Also, a five mile circumfrence around a military base isn't always the best of areas and guess where my work is located. So consealed it is. Also, I have yet to wheel completely naked. Vegas trails are dust bombs. Jeep and a Harley. I must be glutton for punishment.

OP
OP
Rubi SoHo

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I run mine 3 different ways in the summer....

all together if the forecast looks possibly rainy and i know i am gonna drive the jeep.

topless but w doors, if i know im going somewhere over an hour away and dont want to leave the jeep naked.

or completely naked, i have a rain gear cover if needed. i actually do enjoy driving the jeep stripped down. especially if the forecast looks favorable. I have been caught in a few downpours and its not so much fun lol. My s/o and her son rode in it and loved it also. As some have said depending on how hot it is, and where we are going the wind can be tiring. I just think of it as being on motorcycle w 4 wheels. lol
This is why I invested in a soft top this year, Utah almost never gets rain, but when it does, it can come with little warning. I’m loving that I can get the jeep buttoned up in a few minutes without any help.

With the CJ I had a hard top and bought a bikini top, but eventually just started letting it rain into the jeep because getting the hard top on was a chore, and I couldn’t do it alone. It got pretty rank in there after a while with all the mildew.

Even the bikini top would sag down between the roll bar and windshield and a gallon or two of water would collect, and have to be removed. Which usually meant pushing up from below and letting most of it land next to the driver and passenger seats, and in the back seat.

I’m realizing that part of my issue yesterday was that it was cold. We barely got into the 60’s as that storm that flooded Yellowstone was just clearing out of northern utah. I also have POS mirrors, that will need to be replaced, completely useless.

Today was better, and once it warms up more, and I can get some CMM’s, I think I’ll like it more.

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
Going door less the wind doesn't bother me but those oem M/T tires on the Willys are really loud.
Of late I've been running flow through meaning doors on w/windows down, freedom panels off and back window open. The wind buffeting is minimize because air flow throughs the back window and it's really nice at highway speeds. Alternatively the top could be removed too but opening the rear window is a quick easy solution.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Living in Los Angeles, I’m scared to run doorless. Can’t imagine leaving my jeep unattended in Los Angeles with no doors or top. Don’t think It would have an interior when I return. Or maybe somebody would just grab me out of the Jeep and take it. Feels very vulnerable. There’s homeless and bums at every intersection and freeway offramp waiting to panhandle.
I can totally see a scenario where I’m sitting at the light and a homeless person or a criminal just jumps in the passenger seat of my jeep. Then what ?
No thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited: