Running doorless (is it just me?)

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Finally pulled the trigger on some door hangers and put them up in my garage last night. Doors are off the JLUR for the first time.

Its been 18 yrs since I sold the CJ and last had a Jeep. Loved going topless and doorless in that thing. Have loved the soft top this summer, especially driving with it down.

But I gotta say, I didn’t love the drive to work today without doors. Something felt off about it. I think I prefer the top down but doors on.

Am I alone in that?
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
When I go doorless in a JL/JT the wind tunnel effect is horrendous. It's literally like standing outside in a Cat 4 hurricane. About 10 minutes of that is enough to make me want to put the doors back on. It's kind of a shame. Plus, no mirrors....

I wish they'd done some more aero testing with the doors off.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
OK um, I have none of those issues. I don't have any hurricane like winds and I routinely drive around with no doors on the weekends. Driving 60 miles down an interstate at 75mph, probably not, but generally driving..no issues at all. And mirrors? Just get some Lange Coyotes, they go on in no time at all.

Last edited:

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
This is a huge reason why the first thing I did after buying my 2dr Rubicon was to track down a set of factory half doors. If I'm being honest, the lack of factory half doors until recently was the reason I waited as long as I did to buy a JL and was also a factor into why I put in a reservation for a Bronco. I'm not a huge fan of going doorless and tube doors aren't much better. I despise how Wranglers look with the top off and full doors on. With my TrekTop in Bimini mode and the uppers off my half doors it wasn't much different than driving around this weekend with the windows down as far as wind swirling goes.
Jeep Wrangler JL Running doorless (is it just me?) PXL_20220611_130216414.PORTRAIT

Last edited:

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
May sound silly, but when I go doorless and topless, I throw on some Peltor Comtac Vs or Ops Core Amps (any ear pro would work). Cuts out all the wind noise and even without the ambient mics turned on I can hear the radio great. Then I plug into some handheld radios and chat with buddies on the drive to work or while off-roading.

Sponsored

REAWS6

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Rubicon 4xe
Me personally I enjoy the top up but the doors and back soft top windows off. I like having the shade from the sun but having the breeze and I have foot pegs so I get to hang my leg out the door and get a little of the motorcycle experience!

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
A jeep that’s doorless & topless should not be your “drive to the office” transportation. If you do you’ll be disappointed unless you are bald and work outdoors Lol..

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
i love having my Jeep doorless/topless all summer but to the office i prefer to drive my X5M and not die of heat and soaking my suit and tie..

Jeep Wrangler JL Running doorless (is it just me?) 1655227312922
Oh, suit and tie is the problem then ;)

I spent almost 30 years wearing a uniform. When I got out of the mob, I made sure my new job involved jeans and a t-shirt. ;)

OP
OP
Rubi SoHo

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
i love having my Jeep doorless/topless all summer but to the office i prefer to drive my X5M and not die of heat and soaking my suit and tie..

1655227312922.png
I am a doctor, so I go in tech slacks and a polyester button down shirt, short sleeves if possible. Plus I do shave my head. The heat doesn’t bother me. Plus, I work about 1.5 miles from home so the drive is very short anyway, all surface streets, generally 35mph max.

But something just didn’t “feel right” today. Somehow the jeep felt “narrow” and, I didn’t feel as comfortable as I usually do. I’ll give it more time, but I really do prefer the doors on so far.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I commute 17 miles each way on the freeway for work. Average speed limit is between 72-78mph. Top down and doors off as much as possible. I have a rain gear cover I leave in the back in case of any pop up storms. To me there is no feeling like driving a Jeep with doors off and top down most of the other vehicles around me wishing they could do that. I got a set of mirrors off Amazon and some foot pegs from Jeep invasion in Wildwood.
Sponsored