Running boards What is the consensus ?

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have ordered the Go Rhino Dominators with 2 sets of drop steps. Note the going price for the running board is $440 (ish) and $129 for each set of 2 steps) this is a total $692. I found dug deep ad found them on Carid.com for Running boards $369 and Set of Steps for $93 total $555 since Carid charges (collects sales tax) I called Quadratech and they priced matched with free shipping. That end up saving me $200. You may want to order ASAP before that price at Carid Changes.

https://www.carid.com/go-rhino/6-dominator-d6-wheel-to-wheel-black-running-boards-mpn-d64506t.html

20180623_122812_resized-jpg.jpg

As you can see they are a nice wide platform and will limit rocks and debris thrown by the tires (assuming you have stock fenders)... Go Rhino also has a 5 year warranty on the finish so they should look good for many years. It also helps that they are designed as a slider if you remove the drop steps... The fact this is modular is what made my decision as most boards with drop steps the steps are fixed and permanent. This is the most FUNCTIONAL steps I have found. I decided against the Power Sliders just cannot justify $2k+ for electric steps, then those to not help prevent rock throwing from the tires.

The Running board arrives Tue however the steps are another week out. then I am gone for 2 weeks I will post pics once I have installed.
Do the Go Rhino Dominators utilize the body bolts on the JL?
Sponsored

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Don’t believe in steps. They are ugly. 5 foot 1 wife gets in fine as does my 12 year old daughter. We have on our truck but I find them slippery and dangerous and most only give a few inch step advantage. My brother carrries a folding step stool for his truck. He drives my 84 year old mom around a lot. Steps wouldn’t work for her.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Do the Go Rhino Dominators utilize the body bolts on the JL?

There are three brackets, each bracket uses two boltd thru the Pinch Mold and one in the Pre-threaded hole in the jeep body. The Brackets that support the board insert into the board so there is NO bracket exposed below the running board which allows it to be a slider, there is nothing to catch on.

Here are Instructions with detailed Photos http://www.gorhino.com/images/ePIM/original/D64506T-i.pdf

Taurus14

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara turbo firecracker red
Westin hdx are really nice and installation was easy. On my Sahara.

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Dsl. / '16 Ram PW / '14 GC Dsl.
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
Go Rhino @ RealTruck.com seems to have the best selection. I used the RB20s (Ford Raptor Style) with the Line X type coating, very durable. $500+, looks great! These boards keep the brush etc. from scratching the sides of my JL.

Sponsored

CDHarris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
To your original question: I have a 2018 JLU Sahara, (no lift, original wheels and tires) and find the running boards to be useless as far as getting in and out. I can slide in and out without using the running boards and they are too high to be of much use if I needed help. However, I do think they provide some protection from nicks and scratches and like the look of the running boards.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
To your original question: I have a 2018 JLU Sahara, (no lift, original wheels and tires) and find the running boards to be useless as far as getting in and out. I can slide in and out without using the running boards and they are too high to be of much use if I needed help. However, I do think they provide some protection from nicks and scratches and like the look of the running boards.
Do you mean this kind of protection? lol

doordamage.jpg

kjone013

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 JLUR MOJITO! (3.6, auto, loaded)
Occupation
Army
Water proof does not mean submersible again they look great except the cost. I did speak to them the motor are only water resistant the wiring is water proof, however the warranty is only 1 year compared to 5 year from the competitor for a lot less $$$. This is a great money to burn item though and it is making me think hard about his option. The other issue is with doors off use is problematic since there is no door to trigger them
They said the warranty was only 1 year? Reading throught he instructions, it says 36 month warranty on the equipment and a 12 month warranty on powder coating.

I'm looking for steps also due to my short wife. That seems to be a common problem around here, all the short wives.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
They said the warranty was only 1 year? Reading throught he instructions, it says 36 month warranty on the equipment and a 12 month warranty on powder coating.

I'm looking for steps also due to my short wife. That seems to be a common problem around here, all the short wives.
While looking into the Go Rhino products I watched a video it was a Go Rhino Showroom video that discussed all the different running boards and at the end of the video they said there was a 5 year warranty on all "finishes" on all the Go Rhino running boards and nerfs. Of course now I cannot find the video.

However I looked it up on the Go Rhino Website here it is

Warranty
Go Rhino® warrants its products to be free from defects in material and workmanship. This limited warranty extends for 5 years for black finishes, 5 years for chrome finishes, and for the lifetime of the product for polished stainless finished products from the date of purchase for parts ordered after April 2004. Warranty claims must be accompanied with the original invoice and photos of the product. It is the customer’s responsibility to clean regularly and protect finish with regular applications of a nonabrasive polish that is compatible with the product’s finish.

This warranty covers the cost of the product only and does not include the cost of removal, installation, or shipping of the product. This warranty is void if the product shows signs of alteration, misuse, mishandling, improper care, neglect, improper application and/or damage due to improper installation. This warranty provides a one-time replacement on workmanship if all of the above conditions are met.

Finish Warranty:

• Limited lifetime on stainless steel products
  • 5 year warranty on black powder coat products
  • 5 year warranty on chrome products
  • This warranty does not cover exposed welds
Finish warranty covers peeling, flaking, or cracking. Washing all finishes regularly with car wash soap and rinsing well with water is the best method for maintaining the finish on your products. You must also protect the finish with nonabrasive automotive wax on a regular basis. The use of any compound which contains abrasives becomes a self-defeating exercise as the compound scratches the finish and opens it to corrosion. The use of harsh chemicals used to remove bugs and tar may also cause the finish to fail and should be avoided.

kjone013

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 JLUR MOJITO! (3.6, auto, loaded)
Occupation
Army
While looking into the Go Rhino products I watched a video it was a Go Rhino Showroom video that discussed all the different running boards and at the end of the video they said there was a 5 year warranty on all "finishes" on all the Go Rhino running boards and nerfs. Of course now I cannot find the video.

However I looked it up on the Go Rhino Website.
Ok. I thought we were talking about the electronics between the amp and the rock slide because mentioned the waterproof wiring. Which amp is 5 year and rock slide is 3.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Ok. I thought we were talking about the electronics between the amp and the rock slide because mentioned the waterproof wiring. Which amp is 5 year and rock slide is 3.
I called and talked to both AMP and Rock Slider, Amp said their boards cold not handle any rocks and their motor could not be submerged, so warranty is out the door anyway, Rock Slider said their motor is water resistant and only the wiring is waterproof, both have specific motor warranty separate from the metal of the board/slider. If I recall both are only 1 year on the motors, that is the part that really matters with those. The other issue I have with the power boards is with Doors off they do not automatically drop...

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I also ordered the GoRhino dominators. Looking forward to installing them. They do seem to be lower than the Sahara step so I hope it’s less awkward to use.

G.smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep jl
I have a JL Sahara that has a 2" lift and I plan to go to 3.5" Sahara's with the stock plastic running-boards however not a big fan of them as they are slick when wet and with a lifted wrangler they are awkward to use, I am 6' so I just bypass them and jump in and do not use them, when I get our I also bypass and slide off the seat to the ground, my wife at 5'1" is a different story they are also too high for her for getting in although she does use them for exiting. the other day she was getting out and they were slipper and resulted in some interesting acrobatics. Being late 50's convenience has it upside though.

First off what is the general consensus for having running boards (Note I get the hard cor crawlers wold not use them, however I am asking those who use their Wrangler as a driver 1st then off-road toy 2nd, I know the hard core guys likely do not use running boards at all.

I am looking at two options:

1. the Amp power retractable running boards - My concern is two fold reliability as they are vulnerable to submersion and impact as well I since we will be running a lot of forest service roads and alike the retractable's do not have a rock throwing protection for the paint on the doors and fenders. Interesting I called Bestop today as they also have a retractable for the JK so I asked when they would have if for the JL their answer was that they will never have it for the JL reason being it is the lowest selling product they have and it is not worth building and developing. however AMP provides a completely different answer

J104305?$prodpg640x480$.jpg

2. My next choice is Go Rhino Dominator 6 with the optional 4" drop Steps. This is a fixed running board (kinda rock slider) that has a removable 4" drop step, so I can run the streets with the drop steps installed and when I decide to go off road I can easily remove the Drop Steps to resort my clearance. Note the drop step installed is still 1" above the wranglers frame so even when on they are not the lowest point of the jeep. These would also protect from rock throwing also being is Washington State where we get a little rain they would also knock down the water throw by the wheels similar to the stock Sahara running boards I have now.

The pick below belongs to a JLWF member JD Flick just thought i would disclose that and thanks him for showing his running boards
20180706_151125-jpg.jpg

Any feedback positive or negative is appreciated or even suggestions of alternatives. I am leaning towards the Go Rhino since the drop steps are removable.
I have 2018 jl and I don't like the running boards. They are mounted too high to be of any use, so I just slide off the seat and step over them. Think I'll remove and sell. Hope they have mud guards to take its place. That's the only thing they are good for. (Keeping mud off of the sides)

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
If you don't want drop steps hanging down, then the Dominator D1 is your winner. It's essentially a drop BOARD. The entire running board is a drop step! This is currently my #1 choice after doing lots of research.

D1-Studio.jpg

Seems like the perfect compromise
Sponsored