Running boards What is the consensus ?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I have a JL Sahara that has a 2" lift and I plan to go to 3.5" Sahara's with the stock plastic running-boards however not a big fan of them as they are slick when wet and with a lifted wrangler they are awkward to use, I am 6' so I just bypass them and jump in and do not use them, when I get our I also bypass and slide off the seat to the ground, my wife at 5'1" is a different story they are also too high for her for getting in although she does use them for exiting. the other day she was getting out and they were slipper and resulted in some interesting acrobatics. Being late 50's convenience has it upside though.

First off what is the general consensus for having running boards (Note I get the hard cor crawlers wold not use them, however I am asking those who use their Wrangler as a driver 1st then off-road toy 2nd, I know the hard core guys likely do not use running boards at all.

I am looking at two options:

1. the Amp power retractable running boards - My concern is two fold reliability as they are vulnerable to submersion and impact as well I since we will be running a lot of forest service roads and alike the retractable's do not have a rock throwing protection for the paint on the doors and fenders. Interesting I called Bestop today as they also have a retractable for the JK so I asked when they would have if for the JL their answer was that they will never have it for the JL reason being it is the lowest selling product they have and it is not worth building and developing. however AMP provides a completely different answer

J104305?$prodpg640x480$.jpg

2. My next choice is Go Rhino Dominator 6 with the optional 4" drop Steps. This is a fixed running board (kinda rock slider) that has a removable 4" drop step, so I can run the streets with the drop steps installed and when I decide to go off road I can easily remove the Drop Steps to resort my clearance. Note the drop step installed is still 1" above the wranglers frame so even when on they are not the lowest point of the jeep. These would also protect from rock throwing also being is Washington State where we get a little rain they would also knock down the water throw by the wheels similar to the stock Sahara running boards I have now.

The pick below belongs to a JLWF member JD Flick just thought i would disclose that and thanks him for showing his running boards
20180706_151125-jpg.jpg

Any feedback positive or negative is appreciated or even suggestions of alternatives. I am leaning towards the Go Rhino since the drop steps are removable.
Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
The 'fixed sliders with drop step' option (your second pic) is probably one of the most popular on 4x4s, but IMHO they are the worst of all worlds, since they are heavy and expensive like 'real' steel sliders, but aren't actually useful as sliders, since the step would just catch on rocks and rip the whole damn thing off.

Real sliders with fold-down or power steps seem like a better option to me, as they preserve the off-road protection and ground clearance functionality, but still provide a step when needed. Either that, or just have fixed plastic drop steps; if it's going to get ripped off by a rock anyway, you'd rather it be plastic than steel, so it'll do less damage on its way off.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The 'fixed sliders with drop step' option (your second pic) is probably one of the most popular on 4x4s, but IMHO they are the worst of all worlds, since they are heavy and expensive like 'real' steel sliders, but aren't actually useful as sliders, since the step would just catch on rocks and rip the whole damn thing off.

Real sliders with fold-down or power steps seem like a better option to me, as they preserve the off-road protection and ground clearance functionality, but still provide a step when needed. Either that, or just have fixed plastic drop steps; if it's going to get ripped off by a rock anyway, you'd rather it be plastic than steel, so it'll do less damage on its way off.

Thanks for the feed back... No sure you under stood the Go Rhino whereas the drop steps are removable then the board acts as a slider since there is nothing underneath to catch on (according to Go Rhino). With that said as of now I do not plan an anything too extreme. The AMP power steps would be problematic as they are not submersible so potential for motor failure, they are made of Aluminum after speaking to AMP they said they would not hold up even under light rock contact.

However I do not plan (the key word) on any situations of rubbing with a 3.5" lift on 35's, plus my Sahara is Black so body protection is important where the power steps do not help, although I cold install mud flaps.

Sound like I am talking my self into the Dominators, still interested in opinions though

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
First: and maybe you have, invest in grips for the Mrs.

Second: do what makes the Mrs. happy because she'll be okaying your additional mods.;)

Third: ;) there's no way I could ever get the ones that fold back when the door's shut, my crew wouldn't stop complaining:

gangster.jpg

Seriously: the electric ones come down lower for the Mrs but they're narrow and subject to malfunction, but the permanent ones also "malfunction" too, as a matter of speaking, if should they get ripped off.

There's a training issue here too OP. Like I say to the Mrs. (also similar in height to yours) "when your my passenger right hand on the factory grip, left on the one of the Sports Bar, and step up, reverse this to get down and out, or when entering as driver."

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
LOD signature series and LOD destroyer are excellent sliders with built in steps. I have the signature series and they work good enough for my short wife.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Another consideration - some running boards, rails, etc. attach using the existing body bolts. Seems the body bolts are snapping off for some - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/ca...y-snap-when-installing-rock-rails-side-steps/ I believe the Rocker Knockers have both frame mounted and body mounted versions so you can choose which one you want. Also, the Rough Country steps are frame mount and don't require body bolt attachment points. I'm not sure about the other brands out there and how they attach.

Last edited:

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
@ROAM frame mounted?

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

Sponsored

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I do like the ROAM boards however they are not any lower than the Sahara Stock boards, For us is is all about easier access with the ability remove the step to regain the clearance when needed.

I also like the styling of the Rough Country Rock rails but I want that running board protection from the rock throwing KO-2's

I have decided Electric is OUT it is just too vulnerable, I think the Go Rhino with the removable drop step currently is the best option they seem to check all the boxes.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I do like the ROAM boards however they are not any lower than the Sahara Stock boards, For us is is all about easier access with the ability remove the step to regain the clearance when needed.

I also like the styling of the Rough Country Rock rails but I want that running board protection from the rock throwing KO-2's

I have decided Electric is OUT it is just too vulnerable, I think the Go Rhino with the removable drop step currently is the best option they seem to check all the boxes.
How about the Mopar performance rock rails? Maybe not low enough?

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
How about the Mopar performance rock rails? Maybe not low enough?

Thanks for the input, however I already have stock mopar running boards that came with the Sahara, my goal is to make it easier for my wife and other short people to get in and out which still maintaining the clearance. Even myself at 6' the stock running board is too high to be useful weras when I get in I bypass it and put my foot in the floor of the drivers area and pull myself up to the seat. While that is more than doable for me it is still an awkward entry, whereas a lower step for daily use would make it more fluid getting in and out.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for the input, however I already have stock mopar running boards that came with the Sahara, my goal is to make it easier for my wife and other short people to get in and out which still maintaining the clearance. Even myself at 6' the stock running board is too high to be useful weras when I get in I bypass it and put my foot in the floor of the drivers area and pull myself up to the seat. While that is more than doable for me it is still an awkward entry, whereas a lower step for daily use would make it more fluid getting in and out.
Just to clarify, the Mopar performance rock rails ($866 at https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/performance-style-rock-rails-jeep-wrangler-jl ) aren't the same as the stock Mopar running boards that came free with the Sahara. However, I think the Mopar performance rock rails might be at a similar height as the Sahara stock running boards, so probably won't help with the situation you described.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Just to clarify, the Mopar performance rock rails ($866 at https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/performance-style-rock-rails-jeep-wrangler-jl ) aren't the same as the stock Mopar running boards that came free with the Sahara. However, I think the Mopar performance rock rails might be at a similar height as the Sahara stock running boards, so probably won't help with the situation you described.
The Mopar performance rock rails actually are a little higher than the Sahara running boards, so they are even less effective as a step. I spent some time comparing the two when I ordered the Mopar rails for my Sport S.
Sponsored