Running 75 PSI

jfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Living the dream
So I had my Jeep Dealership balance my wheels and tires I purchased online. They felt like crap even though they were already supposed to be balanced.

Jeep Service had to add weight and said it was definitely off initially, 1 wheel couldn't be balanced it was so far off requiring over 25OZ of weight.

So I get in and they have the tire pressure set at 75.... I asked the guy what was up with the 75psi and was told that they've seen a lot of bad things happen running pressure too low and that's what the tire called for. I told him I have never heard anything like that, are you sure it should be 75psi on a jeep? "That's what the tire calls for" :lipssealed:

I drove off with crap handling and drifting all over the place... almost felt as if the tires were overinflated. :facepalm:

Soon as I got to work I sat out in the parking and let air out of the tires for 20 minutes straight... to get down to 35psi.

I guess my questions are:

A) Did I miss something, is 75psi not craziness?
B) Does this really sound like something that should be happening at the service department at a Jeep dealership?
C) I have a lot of weights on the 4 wheels they did balance... how much is too much weight? (35/13.50 R20)

Unfortunately when someone is that confidently incorrect about something... I have a hard time taking anything they say at face value. So here we are. Appreciate the responses.
Sponsored

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
I'm no expert but sounds like he's an idiot. He should have went with what the manufacture recommends on inside of door to start with then you could adjust to your taste afterwards. That's the highest I've seen anyone post. My 3/4 ton truck doesn't even run that high.

OP
OP
jfox

jfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Living the dream
I'm no expert but sounds like he's an idiot. He should have went with what the manufacture recommends on inside of door to start with then you could adjust to your taste afterwards. That's the highest I've seen anyone post. My 3/4 ton truck doesn't even run that high.
Agree...

Then they have the between 10 and 20 oz of weight on each tire... seams like quite a bit. But not sure with the large wheel and tire combo if it's really too much. Again, I have to question everything they did now that I know they have no clue what they're talking about. Like hawkgt said... I may need to just have it done over someplace else.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
A high load range tire might be rated for that much, but on your vehicle it’s overkill.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
So I had my Jeep Dealership balance my wheels and tires I purchased online. They felt like crap even though they were already supposed to be balanced.

Jeep Service had to add weight and said it was definitely off initially, 1 wheel couldn't be balanced it was so far off requiring over 25OZ of weight.

So I get in and they have the tire pressure set at 75.... I asked the guy what was up with the 75psi and was told that they've seen a lot of bad things happen running pressure too low and that's what the tire called for. I told him I have never heard anything like that, are you sure it should be 75psi on a jeep? "That's what the tire calls for" :lipssealed:

I drove off with crap handling and drifting all over the place... almost felt as if the tires were overinflated. :facepalm:

Soon as I got to work I sat out in the parking and let air out of the tires for 20 minutes straight... to get down to 35psi.

I guess my questions are:

A) Did I miss something, is 75psi not craziness?
B) Does this really sound like something that should be happening at the service department at a Jeep dealership?
C) I have a lot of weights on the 4 wheels they did balance... how much is too much weight? (35/13.50 R20)

Unfortunately when someone is that confidently incorrect about something... I have a hard time taking anything they say at face value. So here we are. Appreciate the responses.
A) the tire sidewall might say max load xxx lbs at 75 psi. That’s is the limit of the tire. No car manufacturer will choose tires that would be running at the limit of their capacity. That’s why you see in the door frame a much lower recommended psi.
You should go by the door sticker. Even that number is on the high side because it assumes a fully loaded car. Also that number is set for best mpg which may not be the most comfortable ride.
B) Don’t trust the dealer
C) you use the word weights (plural). No there should not be more than two weights ( one inside, one outside). They could be heavy, but not many.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
The pressure rating on the door is designed for the tires or type of tire that come in the Jeep. Is it a good place to start? Of course. Sounds like you have load range E tires and they went to almost the max psi cold range. Load range e vs c are different tires and thus would take different psi to accomplish what you want. The chalk trick or lower them to 35 like you did and try them out trick works too.

75 is crazy high

Brett

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Yikes!

Go to a tire place and get those properly balanced, then go give the dealer the bill. A good tire shop will have a "road force" balancer and have no issue balancing MT/AT tires.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
75 PSI is 3/4 to 1 ton truck area. Way too much for a jeep. What does the actual tire say on the side?

Sponsored

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Just an fyi - balance beads are a good option. Allows you to avoid having dealerships balance your wheels entirely.

My 37" Cooper tires take 10oz of balance beads per wheel.

And they balance wonderfully. And, the great thing about them, is that as the tire wears they will always be balanced. Regardless.

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
A couple of things here to look at. Every tire has the amount of air pressure specked out for it written right on the side of the tire, just read the smaller print on it. The amount on the interior of the door panel on the sticker is what the Manufacturer requires for the amount of weight of the vehicle on the type of tires it’s using. A lighter vehicle will use lower air pressure. My Rubi only requires 36 psi

Any tire requiring that much weight should be broke down and spun 180 degrees on the rim before placing that much weight on it. Most of the time you can reduce the amount of weight by over 50% by turning the tire. It takes more work so it’s easier to just put the weight on it and not care.

Personally I would of never left the shop with 75psi in my tires. I would of went straight to the service manager and told them to make it right or be prepared for a law suit when the tires exploded! A hot over inflated tire can explode!

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
I’d take it back and talk to the service manager. Tell him you don’t want the original guy working on it but they need to rebalance the tires with the correct pressure. If he’s not willing to make it right take it to another place and send them the bill.

OP
OP
jfox

jfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Living the dream
Are they F rated tires???
Yes... story is even worse than I originally posted.

So I ordered these on wheelhero.com and they had 2 tires in this size that were "E" rated (nothing lower at this size). I chose the Fuel tires because it saved me $500 and they were telling me how great they were. Plus they were MT's which is what I wanted.

So turns out when I got them they were F rated... I didn't realize this until I had them on and was concerned about the shaky ride.
I contacted wheelhero.com and they are telling me D, E, F, all ride the same... and are clearly not wanting to correct anything even though they were posted incorrectly on their site. Thing they don't realize yet is I have a really good lawyer... like better than you guys are imagining right now... that will go after these guys for the fun of it.

Now... on the other side, I've driven these things for a day now... and they really are riding good at 35psi with the new balance... so kind of questioning what my next move will be.

Here's a screenshot of their website... they've changed it since I notified them of the error.

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 8.58.57 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
jfox

jfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Living the dream
A) the tire sidewall might say max load xxx lbs at 75 psi. That’s is the limit of the tire. No car manufacturer will choose tires that would be running at the limit of their capacity. That’s why you see in the door frame a much lower recommended psi.
You should go by the door sticker. Even that number is on the high side because it assumes a fully loaded car. Also that number is set for best mpg which may not be the most comfortable ride.
B) Don’t trust the dealer
C) you use the word weights (plural). No there should not be more than two weights ( one inside, one outside). They could be heavy, but not many.
I used the word "weights".... yes plural because these 3 pictures are from the same wheel in 3 different locations.

IMG_2440.jpeg

IMG_2441.jpeg

IMG_2442.jpeg
Sponsored