Sponsored

Runners, what do you do with your key fob?

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
I will bump this thread I run short and intense under 45 min but with a lot of incline and varying terrain I just put the fob in my side pocket I normally run in cargo shorts regular fit there comfortable and I can fit a lot in them:LOL:
Sponsored

brow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU
I hate running with anything. I've just been leaving my key tuck in under the rear bumper, there are a couple psuedo shelves in the bumper itself, not far from muffler. Trail and error. If I'm in an area where I'm fairly certain it's safer and my jeep probably won't get stolen i've also left the keys in my hitch receiver but this is the most stealthy place to put them.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
So I intended to pick up a hitch safe, but in the mean time I improvised. Turns out it may be just as good, and didn't cost me anything.

I'll post some photos, but here's the idea.
I put the key into the hitch receiver (after doors are locked) with the key ring facing the rear. I then run a locking hitch pin through the key ring. Put the rubber hitch cover back in, and you can't tell it's there.
If you use a combination lock you don't have to carry a key. With the fob facing front, you can't push any of the buttons to unlock the jeep, and the metal around it shields the signal so proximity won't work. You also, can't undo the key ring, because there's no room to work.

No, it's not theft proof, but nothing is. I suspect anyone who is going to try to "liberate" my key is just going to smash the glass and take what they want anyway. This is a pretty good deterrent, it's discrete and utilized a lock I already had. Anyway, not much to see, but I took photos anyway. It would be a little more hidden if your locking pin is black instead of silver too.

run lock.jpg

Sponsored

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
@Shots Neat solution, I might explore this!

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
So I intended to pick up a hitch safe, but in the mean time I improvised. Turns out it may be just as good, and didn't cost me anything.

I'll post some photos, but here's the idea.
I put the key into the hitch receiver (after doors are locked) with the key ring facing the rear. I then run a locking hitch pin through the key ring. Put the rubber hitch cover back in, and you can't tell it's there.
If you use a combination lock you don't have to carry a key. With the fob facing front, you can't push any of the buttons to unlock the jeep, and the metal around it shields the signal so proximity won't work. You also, can't undo the key ring, because there's no room to work.

No, it's not theft proof, but nothing is. I suspect anyone who is going to try to "liberate" my key is just going to smash the glass and take what they want anyway. This is a pretty good deterrent, it's discrete and utilized a lock I already had. Anyway, not much to see, but I took photos anyway. It would be a little more hidden if your locking pin is black instead of silver too.

run lock.jpg
So that is why the FOB is so big, so that you cannot remove it from the receiver hitch.

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
I tried this, but it chafed.... :surprised:
I tried it too but couldn’t quite get to the door handle, even on my tippy toes. Never mind trying to rotate my butt cheeks once I finally got the key inserted into the lock.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I wonder if hitchsafe has a video of someone breaking into the hitchsafe. I’d be interested to know how easily you can get into it. Many home lockbox type safes are easily circumvented. I’d be hesitant to leave the keys to my ride until I saw how tamper resistant it is.
It's locked and hidden in a hitch.

Anything can be circumvented. At some point you have created enough of a deterrent and if something goes wrong, that's life.

Sponsored

OrangeRuby

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JL)
There was a video linked on another thread. A guy picks the hitchsafe lock in like a minute. It was an interesting video.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I generally don’t like to carry things with me when I’m running (except gels/water for long runs) and I’m trying to think of a way to not carry my fob. I was considering getting a signal blocking bag off amazon and either picking up an extra manual key or hiding the bag somewhere under the Jeep. If I went the extra key route I would lock the fob, inside the bag, inside the center console and use the manual key to re-enter the vehicle/access the console. What solutions, if any, have you guys come up with? Thanks!
Redfish on a fly rod ! NICE ! Perfect avatar ! Its gonna snow here tomorrow !:facepalm:

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I tried it too but couldn’t quite get to the door handle, even on my tippy toes. Never mind trying to rotate my butt cheeks once I finally got the key inserted into the lock.
Proximity locks....duh.
Sponsored