Sponsored

Runners, what do you do with your key fob?

Kbohtx

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2005 LJ
I generally don’t like to carry things with me when I’m running (except gels/water for long runs) and I’m trying to think of a way to not carry my fob. I was considering getting a signal blocking bag off amazon and either picking up an extra manual key or hiding the bag somewhere under the Jeep. If I went the extra key route I would lock the fob, inside the bag, inside the center console and use the manual key to re-enter the vehicle/access the console. What solutions, if any, have you guys come up with? Thanks!
Sponsored

Janne

First Name
Janet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue , ‘96 BMW 328i Convertible
I generally don’t like to carry things with me when I’m running (except gels/water for long runs) and I’m trying to think of a way to not carry my fob. I was considering getting a signal blocking bag off amazon and either picking up an extra manual key or hiding the bag somewhere under the Jeep. If I went the extra key route I would lock the fob, inside the bag, inside the center console and use the manual key to re-enter the vehicle/access the console. What solutions, if any, have you guys come up with? Thanks!
I use a Spibelt. Holds the key and phone w/large, key only with the regular version

OP
OP
Kbohtx

Kbohtx

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2005 LJ
I use a Spibelt. Holds the key and phone w/large, key only with the regular version
I’ve run with a spibelt and flip belt and I just don’t like them. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Maybe one of the holsters from Gibson? Probably not ideal for your application, but maybe would work...
https://gibsonleatherworks.com/jeep-jl-key-fob-holster

Sponsored

RussTKD

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Most of my running shorts have a small zippered pocket on the back, and I’ll put the fob there.

Alternatively, I’ll put it in a pouch on my water bottle belt.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I’ve run with a spibelt and flip belt and I just don’t like them. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Yeah, I had a flip belt for a while too. I just don't care for something that snug around my waist when I run.

The only alternative I've come up with so far is what you already mentioned. Faraday bag with the key locked in the glovebox (or console). Then use a manual key to get into the Jeep and access the key.

I've been wanting to do this, but the cheapest key that I can find to pirate the "blade" from is $120 (part number #68416785AA). I got the idea of pirating a blade, from a spare key video posted by Jeep Informant. The part number posted is a basic key with no remote start or lock features. I'm only looking for the blade which is much smaller/easier to carry while running. I hope to find a cheaper alternative, but in the mean time I carry the giant key with me. I'll be watching this thread though, because I'd love to hear any creative ideas.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
If you carry your smartphone with you while running, could lock the key in the Jeep and unlock it with your phone (either via Uconnect Guardian or a Voyo).

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Yeah, I had a flip belt for a while too. I just don't care for something that snug around my waist when I run.

The only alternative I've come up with so far is what you already mentioned. Faraday bag with the key locked in the glovebox (or console). Then use a manual key to get into the Jeep and access the key.

I've been wanting to do this, but the cheapest key that I can find to pirate the "blade" from is $120 (part number #68416785AA). I got the idea of pirating a blade, from a spare key video posted by Jeep Informant. The part number posted is a basic key with no remote start or lock features. I'm only looking for the blade which is much smaller/easier to carry while running. I hope to find a cheaper alternative, but in the mean time I carry the giant key with me. I'll be watching this thread though, because I'd love to hear any creative ideas.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fobless-key.9256/

Sponsored

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
If you have a hitch / towing setup, take a look at this locking "safe" that fits into the receiver. I have one on another vehicle (I am waiting for my Jeep. . .) and it works great. http://www.hitchsafe.com. Easy install. Note the size of the storage tray is pretty small and I don't have a Jeep fob to try out. Fobs from my other vehicles fit.

OP
OP
Kbohtx

Kbohtx

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2005 LJ
Yr worried about 1 oz object?
I don’t like the size of the fob or something else bouncing around for long runs, or any runs for that matter. If I have to carry it, so be it. I was just curious if anyone had other solutions.

OP
OP
Kbohtx

Kbohtx

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2005 LJ
If you have a hitch / towing setup, take a look at this locking "safe" that fits into the receiver. I have one on another vehicle (I am waiting for my Jeep. . .) and it works great. http://www.hitchsafe.com. Easy install. Note the size of the storage tray is pretty small and I don't have a Jeep fob to try out. Fobs from my other vehicles fit.
Great suggestion, thanks!

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Good one! Like it..

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
I don’t like the size of the fob or something else bouncing around for long runs, or any runs for that matter. If I have to carry it, so be it. I was just curious if anyone had other solutions.
I run and ruck bout 35 miles a week and do so with phone keys 55 lb pack whatever ... suck it up buttercup
Sponsored