Sponsored

Runners, what do you do with your key fob?

OrangeRuby

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JL)
So I intended to pick up a hitch safe, but in the mean time I improvised. Turns out it may be just as good, and didn't cost me anything.

I'll post some photos, but here's the idea.
I put the key into the hitch receiver (after doors are locked) with the key ring facing the rear. I then run a locking hitch pin through the key ring. Put the rubber hitch cover back in, and you can't tell it's there.
If you use a combination lock you don't have to carry a key. With the fob facing front, you can't push any of the buttons to unlock the jeep, and the metal around it shields the signal so proximity won't work. You also, can't undo the key ring, because there's no room to work.

No, it's not theft proof, but nothing is. I suspect anyone who is going to try to "liberate" my key is just going to smash the glass and take what they want anyway. This is a pretty good deterrent, it's discrete and utilized a lock I already had. Anyway, not much to see, but I took photos anyway. It would be a little more hidden if your locking pin is black instead of silver too.

run lock.jpg
Along this same line, I welded a plate over the end of a Piece of receiver tubing. Then just used a locking pin to secure it. Home made hitch safe. You can then pick the “security level” of your lock.

Thinking if I just added an emblem to it, it would look like any standard hitch cover. Which, depending on construction, could work reasonably just as well.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
You could hide it in your prison wallet

I tried this, but it chafed.... :surprised:

I tried it too but couldn’t quite get to the door handle, even on my tippy toes. Never mind trying to rotate my butt cheeks once I finally got the key inserted into the lock.
:CWL: You guys are too much.

I just strap it to my back for a better workout

20191106_044954.jpg
Looks like you're all set for a ruck race.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
If you have a hitch / towing setup, take a look at this locking "safe" that fits into the receiver. I have one on another vehicle (I am waiting for my Jeep. . .) and it works great. http://www.hitchsafe.com. Easy install. Note the size of the storage tray is pretty small and I don't have a Jeep fob to try out. Fobs from my other vehicles fit.
I have one and it fits the key fob.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Honestly, I just run with the chain wrapped around my finger. It's second nature for me now. What's annoying is when it's freezing outside the battery will be dead when I return to the Jeep. Starting it isn't the issue, just a PITA that the alarm blasts if you unlock your doors with the key. I imagine the fob wouldn't lose it battery tucked inside the belt for an hour.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Honestly, I just run with the chain wrapped around my finger. It's second nature for me now. What's annoying is when it's freezing outside the battery will be dead when I return to the Jeep. Starting it isn't the issue, just a PITA that the alarm blasts if you unlock your doors with the key. I imagine the fob wouldn't lose it battery tucked inside the belt for an hour.
@Strommen95

IF you lock your JL with your key , when you open it with the key, you won't get that security alarm/horn honking.

Sponsored

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
I usually just lock it then put my fob next to the inside of my tire where it is more or less hidden. Bonus if you can find some grass to pull up into. Not ultra safe, I know, but it works for the 30-60 mins I’m out running.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I grab my spare fob which no keys attached. Grab a spare house key. Leave the house key in the car, put the spare fob with no keys attached in the pocket of my running shorts!

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
I grab my spare fob which no keys attached. Grab a spare house key. Leave the house key in the car, put the spare fob with no keys attached in the pocket of my running shorts!
What kind of pocket do your shorts have to fit this? Even with no keys this thing is HUGE!

Jeep Wrangler JL Runners, what do you do with your key fob? fob-