Sponsored

Runners, what do you do with your key fob?

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
I usually put it in a ziplock bag and put it in a water resistant part of my UD pack. Since I primarily run in the mountains having the fob with me is way more convenient since I don't have to fish it out of my pack if I have to stop back at the jeep to refill on water/food.

TimR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I generally don’t like to carry things with me when I’m running (except gels/water for long runs) and I’m trying to think of a way to not carry my fob. I was considering getting a signal blocking bag off amazon and either picking up an extra manual key or hiding the bag somewhere under the Jeep. If I went the extra key route I would lock the fob, inside the bag, inside the center console and use the manual key to re-enter the vehicle/access the console. What solutions, if any, have you guys come up with? Thanks!
Try this if you have the towing package. The fob buy itself fits perfect in it. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/HitchSafe-HS...ocphy=9008148&hvtargid=pla-462844615884&psc=1

Sponsored

TimR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Good idea.. but it wouldn't be the best choice for those of us with proximity locks :)
I don't have proximity locks...can't that feature be turned off? If not, I would say just use your phone to unlock it via Uconnect or Voyo.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I was a Green Beret for 25 years and I say don’t run with your fob if you don’t want to. But what do I know, I am not as much of a bada$$ as XJrider.
Thank you for your many years of service! (And sense of humor)

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
I don't have proximity locks...can't that feature be turned off? If not, I would say just use your phone to unlock it via Uconnect or Voyo.
Yup! It can be completely turned off in uconnect.. but if the OP is driving somewhere and running, he would need the key to get in regardless. The app also works.. but there is a known issue with the 2018 where the app tends to disable the proximity locks altogether randomly.. so, I would stay away from that option. I do, however think your suggestion is a great idea if the fob is placed in a Faraday bag before being placed in the hitch.. that should do the trick!

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Good idea.. but it wouldn't be the best choice for those of us with proximity locks :)
Good point! Are you able to test how close to the doors you have to be with the fob to allow the proximity lock feature to work? On one of my other vehicles, I have to be standing next to the door for it to work.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Good point! Are you able to test how close to the doors you have to be with the fob to allow the proximity lock feature to work? On one of my other vehicles, I have to be standing next to the door for it to work.
I just tried it... I placed fob in receiver and grabbed tailgate handle. It did not unlock, tried a number of times. As soon as I pulled it out, still holding just outside of receiver, it unlocked when I grabbed the handle. Possibly inconclusive, but maybe steel of receiver disrupts the signal enough for it to not allow unlock.

Sponsored

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
I just tried it... I placed fob in receiver and grabbed tailgate handle. It did not unlock, tried a number of times. As soon as I pulled it out, still holding just outside of receiver, it unlocked when I grabbed the handle. Possibly inconclusive, but maybe steel of receiver disrupts the signal enough for it to not allow unlock.
Rob, thank you for trying it out so quickly. I want it to work, too, as I like having that option for the fob. Maybe others will test it for more evidence.

OP
OP
Kbohtx

Kbohtx

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2005 LJ
I don’t have the towing package :( but plan on buying a hitch for a bike rack and I like the hitch safe storage option.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Ok I'm going to state the obvious... you drive some place to go run? :surprised:
Anyway, don't you have a pocket inside your spandex?

OP
OP
Kbohtx

Kbohtx

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2005 LJ
Ok I'm going to state the obvious... you drive some place to go run? :surprised:
Anyway, don't you have a pocket inside your spandex?
The obvious? I live in Houston. Yeah, sometimes I drive somewhere to run.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
O
The obvious? I live in Houston. Yeah, sometimes I drive somewhere to run.
Ok so do your shorts/spandex have a small pocket on the inside or one at the bottom seam? Keeping the FOB on your person would be the safest imo.
Sponsored

Reactions: TMP