First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
There’s mixed feelings on this forum regarding RR. However, Amazon has good reviews on it.
Hope that helps.
Maybe someone else could chime in :)

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
I actually had this installed recently when I upgraded my rims and tires, I just don’t like the fact that when I open the glass portion of the trunk I have to open the door all the way because the tire sits a bit high. The third brake light is hidden behind the wheel and apparently there’s no way to have it extend above the tire.

PJJPtx

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 392, '21 JLUR, '18 Sahara, Viper TT, Gallardo
It’s great, the only thing I would change is make the tire sit lower. Other than that it’s great.

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
It’s great, the only thing I would change is make the tire sit lower. Other than that it’s great.
Is there a way to have the tire sit lower?

Sponsored

PJJPtx

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 392, '21 JLUR, '18 Sahara, Viper TT, Gallardo
Is there a way to have the tire sit lower?
I don’t believe there is. I may be able to lower it about an inch by drilling new holes in the bracket. There’s two parts to the bracket. One that mounts to the vehicle and one that K’NEX to it and holds the tire.

Roadkill

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Freedom Edition
Just so you're aware, the link you posted directed me to just the hinge reinforcement kit. The complete kit with tire carrier is typically about $100 more.

We got the complete kit on sale for $425 from Northridge 4x4

Just installed this to support our new wheels and tires. It's beefy and totally worth the monies. For the price, it can't be beat.

Installation was easy. FrostbiteJL has a step by step video on YouTube.

**During install, if alignment on the tailgate is good and you're still not satisfied with the way it closes.. (for example no matter how much we adjusted the bracket/hinge bolts, closing the tail gate seemed loud like the tail gate was too low and the latch had to work extra hard).. try adjusting the latch on the Jeep itself. I unscrewed the 2 torx screws and simply moved the latch down a hair. That made all the difference and it now closes with ease just like before.**

I do agree with others that the tire sits higher. However, I don't think it's too high. The rear view mirror is still somewhat usable.

Sorry for the terrible picture, it was snowing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rugged Ridge Tire Carrier IMG_0027

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've been running mine for about a year with no issues. I've been considering drilling some new holes to Ä‘rop mine down. I'm running 37" BFG KM3s and could drop it a couple inches to get better rear view mirror visibility.

OP
OP
Robs JL

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Just so you're aware, the link you posted directed me to just the hinge reinforcement kit. The complete kit with tire carrier is typically about $100 more.

Just installed this to support our new wheels and tires. It's beefy and totally worth the monies. For the price, it can't be beat.

**During install, if alignment on the tailgate is good and you're still not satisfied with the way it closes.. (for example no matter how much we adjusted the bracket/hinge bolts, closing the tail gate seemed loud like the tail gate was too low and the latch had to work extra hard).. try adjusting the latch on the Jeep itself. I unscrewed the 2 torx screws and simply moved the latch down a hair. That made all the difference and it now closes with ease just like before.**

I do agree with others that the tire sits higher. However, I don't think it's too high. The rear view mirror is still somewhat usable.

Thank you.
I'm only looking for the hinge reinforcement and plan on retaining the carrier so I can retain brake light.

Sponsored

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's

That's a great pic! What's all that white stuff? :LOL:

mudmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JlU Sport
Is there a way a different tire mount could be used with this RR hinge setup to offer more adjustability?

OP
OP
Robs JL

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Is there a way a different tire mount could be used with this RR hinge setup to offer more adjustability?
I ended up buying the RR hinge setup and are using my RC tire carrier that I purchased last year. Not sure of an adjustable tire carrier. As for the RR hinge tailgate replacement it's been GREAT. Eliminated all noises from tailgate.