Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Moved hinge a tad lower and inside and helped quite a bit...

but I can see where the bottom tailgate seam is a tad lower on the left than the right. So i might need to take everything off and re-adjust it higher. :mad:

video

Sponsored

Last edited:

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
I have the same one, I really took a lot of time maneuvering the bolts to make sure that doesn’t happen. Hopefully I’m good

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have the same one, I really took a lot of time maneuvering the bolts to make sure that doesn’t happen. Hopefully I’m good
Did you basically lift up the left side much higher? What was the trick? Are you running a 37?

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
Did you basically lift up the left side much higher? What was the trick? Are you running a 37?
No , I kept the door closed and just made sure all the screw holes were lined up perfectly. It was tighten one bolt here one bolt there then loosen those after I tightened another. It took probably longer than it should but I’m happy. And I’m only running 35’s

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just spent last 2 hours re-doing the bolting and “lifting” the left side of the tailgate basically as high as it would go to compensate for weight once the Wheel/tire are added. Now with it fully on it sits in esentially a perfect line but upon closing I still get the “rattle.” If I use the tire to close it rather than the handle it “rattles” about 50-75% less. I am hitting the striker to the latch dead on so it leads me to believe its simply the 150 lbs that’s on the tailgate and this sheer weight dead stopping on the striker. When its closed, it hardly moves when I try with a lot of force so I guess its just the way it is. Now I am more aligned so thats good!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Just spent last 2 hours re-doing the bolting and “lifting” the left side of the tailgate basically as high as it would go to compensate for weight once the Wheel/tire are added. Now with it fully on it sits in esentially a perfect line but upon closing I still get the “rattle.” If I use the tire to close it rather than the handle it “rattles” about 50-75% less. I am hitting the striker to the latch dead on so it leads me to believe its simply the 150 lbs that’s on the tailgate and this sheer weight dead stopping on the striker. When its closed, it hardly moves when I try with a lot of force so I guess its just the way it is. Now I am more aligned so thats good!
@Mikeyut3

Did you get your replacement bolt? Where did you get it.

About the JL rear tailgate latch. I have fooled with those on a few JL's.

You can adjust and adjust and still not get it adjusted where you never get the latch related rattle. You may have to settle with an adjustment that yields you less rattles 90% of the time.

Just keep fooling with it and try to get it the best you can.

When you adjust, place painter's tape at edges of latch before you move the latch. This way you can get back to that position if your change makes things worse lets say.

-Also, you can adjust the black plastic alignment slide and that can help remedy/lessen a rattle. Use painter's tape there too.

Oh.... when you close the rear tailgate, grab the spare and firmly push the tailgate closed. Firm, somewhat forceful, seems to see the latch grab/seat more firmly lets say. I know if I just push gently, lightly when I close mine for example, that I will then get the rattle over washboard type surfaces.

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Also, you can adjust the black plastic alignment slide and that can help remedy/lessen a rattle. Use painter's tape there too.
What black plastic are you referring to? Thx!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What black plastic are you referring to? Thx!

@Mikeyut3
In this pic with the arrow pointing . it's pointing to the black slide that is adjustable.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rugged Ridge Spartacus Tire Carrier Screenshot_20200703-125720_QuickPic

In the this pic, you will see something circled. Be sure you use bulb grease on that. You will see where FCA has applied ant-squeak , anti friction tape at different points of contact there. Tape does not work that great, so you will get creaking, squeaking from there if you don't keep contact surfaces there, clean and lightly greased.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rugged Ridge Spartacus Tire Carrier Screenshot_20200703-125808_QuickPic

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
@Mikeyut3
In this pic with the arrow pointing . it's pointing to the black slide that is adjustable.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rugged Ridge Spartacus Tire Carrier Screenshot_20200703-125808_QuickPic

In the this pic, you will see something circled. Be sure you use bulb grease on that. You will see where FCA has applied ant-squeak , anti friction tape at different points of contact there. Tape does not work that great, so you will get creaking, squeaking from there if you don't keep contact surfaces there, clean and lightly greased.

Ah so pic 1 is where the gate slots in? Does it move up / down and forward / back?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah so pic one is where the gate slots in?
You must be a NYer .... 8-)

Open and close the tailgate and watch closely to see how each part in each pic comes into play when you close the tailgate. The thing in the top pic is a guide/support of sorts..

Place painter's tape so you will know where you started, location wise.... and then very very slightly loosen that piece in the first pic and tap it around. Can move all ways.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You must be a NYer .... 8-)

Open and close the tailgate and watch closely to see how each part in each pic comes into play when you close the tailgate. The thing in the top pic is a guide/support of sorts..

Place painter's tape so you will know where you started, location wise.... and then very very slightly loosen that piece in the first pic and tap it around. Can move all ways.
LOL

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
@Mikeyut3
Born in NY but now I have places in NY, Calif and Florida. I'm in NY right now. Raining out so got nothing better to do, then helping on the forum.. I know you are in NYC..
You can come help me get my tailgate more aligned if bored!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Did you get your replacement bolt?
Went to dealer and they found the right bolt in system but they didn't have it. The closest dealer that had it was 30 mins away. As I didnt feel like making the hour trek, I used one that came with the Rugged Ridge carrier and will just order a few and keep as spares.
Sponsored