Warlocke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
For those that own and installed this RR cast hinge have issues with gaps where hinges go through body to the inner tub? Is there any rubber gaskets or sealant to be sure there is no gaps for moisture or dirt to get in? Any issues or suggestions? TIA
There weren't any gaskets on the OEM hinges, when I did the replacement.
Sponsored

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
The hinge bolts inside the jeep or the bolts holding the carrier to the tailgate?

I may do this today.
I had a similar rattle on mine. I added some electrical tape to the tailgate where it sits on that plastic guide (tailgate stabilizer I think it's called.) underneath the latch. Hope I'm explaining it right. Jeep puts some nylon tape. The nylon tape had worn out . That stopped the rattle.

LSU1

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Jl sport
For those that own and installed this RR cast hinge have issues with gaps where hinges go through body to the inner tub? Is there any rubber gaskets or sealant to be sure there is no gaps for moisture or dirt to get in? Any issues or suggestions? TIA
The regular factory hinges have a gap also. Guess its designed that way.

29_Palms

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I called RR regarding this and they said that's the way it's supposed to fit. I asked about water getting in and rusting out the body. They said that the body is open on the bottom and water won't collect. I called BS on that but it was clear they didn't know what they were talking about.
In researching this RR setup today, I watched a couple different install videos on online, and one guy smartly put a bead of RTV around the shoulder of the hinges and carefully slid them in, lined up the tub bolts and then snugged them down. Sealed. Other than the camera cover not fitting inside factory Rubicon wheels (one poster mentioned an updated part but no photo), I am sold on this one, gonna order today.

Greyhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Any suggestions for a CB mount? I see a few people have mentioned it, and there have been some pics with CB antenna's.....but I can't find any definite answers, recommendations or products that anyone has used. I currently use the Terraflex antenna / flag / whip mount (model # 4997192), and I'm wondering if I just need to get some longer bolts and some kind of spacer? This hinge kit is supposed to arrive today, so I would like to get it all installed at one time and not over several days.

Sponsored

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Speaking of bolts. installed my RR kit the other day and I noticed after it was installed that the RR bolts the four that connect the tire carrier to the heavy duty hinge bracket and overlap do not go all the way through the threads since It overlaps with the latching portion almost as if there not long enough. (hopefully the picture will make more sense). This might be something that RR should look into..

I will say the install went fairly smooth except I had a bolt inside the tub bolt hole that got cross threaded then another RR bolt on the tire carrier so had to use a tap & die set. I did add loctite to the tub bolts and also the carrier so hopefully that will eliminate any loosening.

After a great deal of searching different brands' instructions, none of which listed torque specs, I have found them. The Mopar Reinforcement instructions actually list the specs.

I was correct with all specs used:

Swing gate hinges to body bolts (in tub) 21 ft lbs

Swing gate hinges to tailgait (torx bit bolts) 35 ft lbs

Spare tire carrier bolts (smaller ones that hold carrier to tail gate. They say WTF 8.8 on them) to tailgate. 13 Ft lbs

Manufacturers really should list this information in their instructions, or at least be willing to provide if if you ask. Negative mark for Rugged Ridge.

I went to Menards and purchased stronger bolts. The supplied bolts were Class 8.8 (which is not Grade 8). The ones I bought from Menards are Class 10.9 which is comparable to Grade 8.

If anyone else needs a replacement they are:

8mm x 35mm coarse class 10.9

20200105_163117.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Tire Carrier Installed 9D4B2869-A836-471D-9F1A-189B7574A2FB

Jeep Wrangler JL Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Tire Carrier Installed ABB0CCEA-56E2-45F0-B30F-DD33BEE78BA7

Jeep Wrangler JL Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Tire Carrier Installed 9A4E62A2-8415-40CE-93D7-3766A696B06E

51436729-6756-4B50-B208-B6729E71078F.jpeg

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
There weren't any gaskets on the OEM hinges, when I did the replacement.
I added a little clear silicone around the top and corner of both the top and bottom hinges to keep some water out since there was a little gap. I think that any water that makes it in would drain out inside that cavity (but not certain).

Melis3180

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Yesterday upon checking the carrier and tightening the bolts, I noticed two of the bolts had snapped off. The bottom two bolts closest to the swing gate handle.

I emailed Rugged Ridge.

I asked for the recommended torque specs. They responded that I should check my owner's manual for the jeep and use those.

I responded that that I used the stock specs and explained that it was fine originally. After a few cold days the gate started making noise, and upon inspection I found the snapped bolts. I'm not sure if the cold caused them to be brittle, if the weight of the carrier resting in them, or if they were defective caused the problem. I expressed that there was no sign of over torquing (twisted bolts etc) and that a torque wrench was used .

I asked if they had seen this issue, if there was a way to prevent it, and how to go about getting a replacement set of bolts as most likely all should be replaced.

Rugged Ridge stated that they haven't seen any issues doubt the cold would cause it, and that it is really odd that the bolts just snapped in the way that they did. They suggested going to a hardware store and buying new bolts, or if I provide my original receipt, they could mail two bolts.

I rather replace them all, not just two, so I will go to the hardware store. I'll also have to go to a show to get the bolts extracted from the swing gate.

Overall pretty disappointed. I really liked the carrier but now I'm frustrated with it.

View attachment 267137

Jeep Wrangler JL Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Tire Carrier Installed 51436729-6756-4B50-B208-B6729E71078F
Do you know the exact bolt size and are 6 needed to attach it to the Jeep body? I ordered the carrier today and would like to get some upgraded bolts before I install it. (I also heard the ones that go into the tailgate typically rust so I'm thinking of finding stainless ones - also, how many of those?) Thanks

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Do you know the exact bolt size and are 6 needed to attach it to the Jeep body? I ordered the carrier today and would like to get some upgraded bolts before I install it. (I also heard the ones that go into the tailgate typically rust so I'm thinking of finding stainless ones - also, how many of those?) Thanks
I'm not certain. I actually sold the jeep last week so I have no way of checking. I have posted more detailed info in this thread somewhere. I ended up getting upgraded bolts at Menards.

Sponsored

commandojk13

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys unliminted
Anyone else have a gap where the hinges go into the tub? I’ve seen other brands that also leave a gap and some say some factory ones have it as well but I don’t like it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Tire Carrier Installed 14A71392-70F8-4A66-A158-A5A119388258

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Anyone else have a gap where the hinges go into the tub? I’ve seen other brands that also leave a gap and some say some factory ones have it as well but I don’t like it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Tire Carrier Installed 14A71392-70F8-4A66-A158-A5A119388258
Yeh mine had the same thing. I just took some clear silicone and sealed it up. That looks like its a little wider gap than mine had but could just be the photo.