Sponsored

Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Tire Carrier Installed

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
Here's the updated camera cover from Rugged Ridge for those that need to fit the factory hub size. Reach out to their support team to receive the update.
20191221_115706.jpg
20191221_114611.jpg
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I've developed a rattle with mine. I doesn't seem to be coming from the tire or carrier. Seems to be from the tailgate. More pronounced near the latch I believe. Not sure if it is flexing or something to do with latch point.

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I torqued the bolts again after a few thousand miles and no rattles. What I once thought was the tailgate was actually the soft top rattling.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I torqued the bolts again after a few thousand miles and no rattles. What I once thought was the tailgate was actually the soft top rattling.
The hinge bolts inside the jeep or the bolts holding the carrier to the tailgate?

I may do this today.

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The ones inside the tub seemed to need re torquing the most

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Hit them with a dab of blue Loctite, torque them down and you'll be good to go!

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
That's the plan. Just need to wait for a warmer day. As you know, it is a pain to get to the hinge bolts. I may try to access them without removing the entire panel.

Not looking forward to removing the spare but think it is probably a good idea when doing the bolts.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
What torque spec are you using?

Jeep lists:

21 ft lbs for Swing Gate Hinge to Body Bolts.

35 fb lbs (what is fb?) for Swing Gate Hinge to tailgate bolts.

From what is listed it looks like the torque spec is higher for the bolts attaching the carrier to the swing gate than it is for attaching the hinges to the frame of the jeep (inside the jeep). This doesn't sound right.

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I've developed a rattle with mine. I doesn't seem to be coming from the tire or carrier. Seems to be from the tailgate. More pronounced near the latch I believe. Not sure if it is flexing or something to do with latch point.
did you fix the rattle and were able to get the tire to sit straight? I’m very interested in this set up.

thank you!

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
After being less than impressed with the current offerings for bumper/tire carrier options I decided to give a tub mount reinforcement a try. I already had the RC tire bracket installed and my gate was holding up just fine but this was for piece of mind. This hinge kit is BUILT. I am sure it is similar to some of the other ones out there but I was impressed. Cast aluminum bracing with steel hinges and hardened pins. 8 bolts to the gate and much thicker plates to the tub. I cannot make my tailgate flex at all by pulling on the tire now. At around $400 it is not inexpensive but it is less than some of the others out there. On to the pics....

RR 1.jpg
RR 2.jpg
RR 3.jpg
RR 4.jpg
RR 5.jpg
RR 6.jpg
RR 7.jpg
RR 8.jpg
RR 9.jpg

-Eli
hey man!

im looking at buying the same one shortly, just have two quick questions...so you just bought the tail gate hinge and combined it with your RC carrier?

also, will this cb mount work with it?

7EFB54F7-F846-4758-98CB-5C54AC1DDF35.png

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Yesterday upon checking the carrier and tightening the bolts, I noticed two of the bolts had snapped off. The bottom two bolts closest to the swing gate handle.

I emailed Rugged Ridge.

I asked for the recommended torque specs. They responded that I should check my owner's manual for the jeep and use those.

I responded that that I used the stock specs and explained that it was fine originally. After a few cold days the gate started making noise, and upon inspection I found the snapped bolts. I'm not sure if the cold caused them to be brittle, if the weight of the carrier resting in them, or if they were defective caused the problem. I expressed that there was no sign of over torquing (twisted bolts etc) and that a torque wrench was used .

I asked if they had seen this issue, if there was a way to prevent it, and how to go about getting a replacement set of bolts as most likely all should be replaced.

Rugged Ridge stated that they haven't seen any issues doubt the cold would cause it, and that it is really odd that the bolts just snapped in the way that they did. They suggested going to a hardware store and buying new bolts, or if I provide my original receipt, they could mail two bolts.

I rather replace them all, not just two, so I will go to the hardware store. I'll also have to go to a show to get the bolts extracted from the swing gate.

Overall pretty disappointed. I really liked the carrier but now I'm frustrated with it.

View attachment 267137

20200103_082425.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
What torque spec are you using?

Jeep lists:

21 ft lbs for Swing Gate Hinge to Body Bolts.

35 fb lbs (what is fb?) for Swing Gate Hinge to tailgate bolts.

From what is listed it looks like the torque spec is higher for the bolts attaching the carrier to the swing gate than it is for attaching the hinges to the frame of the jeep (inside the jeep). This doesn't sound right.
Yep, official is 21 ftlbs swing gate to body and 35 ft lbs swing gate to tailgate.

Yes, it's weird. We torque them to factory spec with the afore mentioned blue loctite.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Yesterday upon checking the carrier and tightening the bolts, I noticed two of the bolts had snapped off. The bottom two bolts closest to the swing gate handle.

I emailed Rugged Ridge.

I asked for the recommended torque specs. They responded that I should check my owner's manual for the jeep and use those.

I responded that that I used the stock specs and explained that it was fine originally. After a few cold days the gate started making noise, and upon inspection I found the snapped bolts. I'm not sure if the cold caused them to be brittle, if the weight of the carrier resting in them, or if they were defective caused the problem. I expressed that there was no sign of over torquing (twisted bolts etc) and that a torque wrench was used .

I asked if they had seen this issue, if there was a way to prevent it, and how to go about getting a replacement set of bolts as most likely all should be replaced.

Rugged Ridge stated that they haven't seen any issues doubt the cold would cause it, and that it is really odd that the bolts just snapped in the way that they did. They suggested going to a hardware store and buying new bolts, or if I provide my original receipt, they could mail two bolts.

I rather replace them all, not just two, so I will go to the hardware store. I'll also have to go to a show to get the bolts extracted from the swing gate.

Overall pretty disappointed. I really liked the carrier but now I'm frustrated with it.

View attachment 267137

20200103_082425.jpg
Rugged Ridge sucks! I also have the tire carrier and their front bumper. Customer service is a complete joke and done strictly through email. They don't have the decency to offer a phone number to call for help. Thank God I bought the bumper from Northridge 4x4 because I was able to call them with my problems and they delt with the clowns at Rugged Ridge. I would tell people to stay away from their products. Look at how they treated Carlton like shit. 99% of all companies would have apologized and sent him a new set of bolts.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Yep, official is 21 ftlbs swing gate to body and 35 ft lbs swing gate to tailgate.

Yes, it's weird. We torque them to factory spec with the afore mentioned blue loctite.
Before I start messing with the kit again I want to clarify torque specs:

Swing gate hinges to body bolts (in tub) 21 ft lbs

Swing gate hinges to tailgait (torx bit bolts) 35 ft lbs

Spare tire carrier bolts (smaller ones that hold carrier to tail gate. They say WTF 8.8 on them) to tailgate. Are they 13 ft lbs or 35 ft lbs?

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
After a great deal of searching different brands' instructions, none of which listed torque specs, I have found them. The Mopar Reinforcement instructions actually list the specs.

I was correct with all specs used:

Swing gate hinges to body bolts (in tub) 21 ft lbs

Swing gate hinges to tailgait (torx bit bolts) 35 ft lbs

Spare tire carrier bolts (smaller ones that hold carrier to tail gate. They say WTF 8.8 on them) to tailgate. 13 Ft lbs

Manufacturers really should list this information in their instructions, or at least be willing to provide if if you ask. Negative mark for Rugged Ridge.

I went to Menards and purchased stronger bolts. The supplied bolts were Class 8.8 (which is not Grade 8). The ones I bought from Menards are Class 10.9 which is comparable to Grade 8.

If anyone else needs a replacement they are:

8mm x 35mm coarse class 10.9

20200105_163117.jpg
Sponsored