INTENSEcretAgent

First Name
Intense
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Clubs

I bought them a couple years ago. After trying and failing to get the lights to work properly, I emailed Rugged Ridge directly. Then sent me wiring instructions, and admitted their product was imported with poor wiring instructions. Have a look:

https://donmontalvo.com/2021/01/13/rugged-ridge-max-terrain-fender-flares/

Based on my experience, including getting a second set sent to me after I complained, I could never recommend it to anyone.
Yes I saw your write up, nicely done. As I mentioned, I do have the instructions but still have the question above about the switchback? (and what it means)

I also share a lot of your issues including why they didnt use the 2mounts by the vent. It actually loosened up there on the one installed. New one is snug, but I have a feeling after a few trips it will do the same. I was contemplating putting a bead of black silicone across there to see if that helps. I havent had the leaking issues yet, so I guess I have that to look forward to as well. lol

I did wire one side up as LED, I guess with switchback and seems to work fine aside for the ridiculously loud relay. ;] I was just curious for the difference before I wired up the other side.
Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

INTENSEcretAgent

First Name
Intense
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Clubs

I did contact them, but seemed to go through some 3rd party called Real Truck? They gave me the runaround for sometime stating I didn't have an order, but I was just looking for info. Eventually they provided this:

Your questions:

What is the difference between Factory LED and Factory LED without switchback? How do I tell if I have a switchback?

Answer:

Switchback LED lights have their name because they can alternate between two separate colors. One color is clear white, while the other is an amber light. This is different from the usual halogen turn signal lights, which remain white but switch between low and high-intensity outputs. Switchback LED bulbs replace your parking lights or daytime running lights. When you turn them on, they are a white running light, but once you activate a turn signal, they’ll change to an amber color. As soon as your amber turn signal switches off, they return to their original white color.

It was truly a pleasure to have been able to assist you and answer all of your questions. We have marked your request as completed at this time. If you have any other questions or concerns, you can reopen the request by simply responding to this email.

Have a great day!

So I assume, and feel free to help validate this, If I use the LED without switchback option, it will just remain on and white and the turn signal will not function?

I went ahead and wired them as with switchback and seem to function normally as in:
- White when on and DRL
- Turn and flash yellow when turn signal engaged
- Go back to off / white / DRL when turn signal disengaged

Honestly I dont see why you would use without "switchback", but maybe there is a reason? Anyone out there have one?

INTENSEcretAgent

First Name
Intense
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Clubs

And... Of course 7 days later, I am now getting intermittent dash lights stating my Turn Signal Light is out...
:mad:

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
And... Of course 7 days later, I am now getting intermittent dash lights stating my Turn Signal Light is out...
:mad:
When I bought and installed them, it was on a JL Sport that had plain old halogen headlights.

Sponsored

INTENSEcretAgent

First Name
Intense
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Clubs

Are the lights working correctly?
Other than the intermittent dash message, yes. I suspect that relay got some "moisture" in it. Really have to devise a bullet proof way to waterproof it. (shrink wrap and tape just isnt enough)

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Other than the intermittent dash message, yes. I suspect that relay got some "moisture" in it. Really have to devise a bullet proof way to waterproof it. (shrink wrap and tape just isnt enough)
If you have a Tazer, you may want to try toggling from LED to Halogen, and back, then doing a sleep cycle. That corrected the overamperage issue with my tails.

I remember having some issues with the lights I corrected with the Tazer, but can’t recall what I did.
Sponsored