Sponsored

Rugged Ridge LED Brake Light

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Has anyone installed the Rugged Ridge LED brake light on the JL yet? There is no center hole for the backup camera, so that needs to be cut. What about the adapter? Did it work with the JL plug or did it have to be cut and spliced?

http://www.ruggedridge.com/accessory-brake-light-led-ring-11585-04.html

I am curious what modifications were necessary to get this working with a JL...
FYI... I contacted Rugged Ridge support and they said they should have a fully JL compatible version by end of year.
Sponsored

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
There are several posts where people have installed them. They just had to cut-out the camera hole

OP
OP
Zoobie

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I will admit to having bought the generic Amazon version of this light

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BVT3RKF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine came with a center hole that was still too small to fit over the spare. I measured the width of the center post (a shade under 2 inches) and I used a drill bit that was designed to cut a hole in a door for a door knob. Something like this:

download.jpg

I used my variable speed drill very slowly and enlarged the opening to 2 1/8, works perfectly. Mine did not have a wiring clip, just two bare wires that I'll use to mount it. I have not mounted it officially yet as I'm waiting to install the Mopar reinforced hinge kit first.

My intention is to mount a 37" spare tire using both the Mopar reinforced hinge kit and the Mopar oversized spare relocation kit. At that point I intend to ditch the factory 3rd brake light in favor of this light.

I've also ordered the Artec license plate relocation kit and will be wiring in the license plate light through the tailgate into the passenger side brake light wiring harness.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@BobK

You "admit" to buying that "generic Amazon version" @ $34.99 which is just as good/as decent as the $77.76 + shipping offering.

Wise move, Bob!
The "admit" part was to take it easy on someone who paid the Rugged Ridge price rather than the generic version, which admittedly is just as good, probably from the same factory.

OP
OP
Zoobie

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Update: I bought the Rugged Ridge and drilled a 2 3/4 inch hole so it could fit over the backup camera, and that was fine. However the JK adapter for the brake light is NOT compatible with a JL. So the current Rugged Ridge LED brake light is not plug-n-play on a JL.

My other piece of feedback now that I have it on... is that I wish the rubber covering the LED's was smoke instead of white, would have a cleaner daytime look installed.

RR.JPG

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The "admit" part was to take it easy on someone who paid the Rugged Ridge price rather than the generic version, which admittedly is just as good, probably from the same factory.
Well I purchased the RR one because I wanted the 4 or 5 extra LEDs that the cheaper ones have missing. Other than that they look identical. Not all wheels are the same and those missing LEDs could be exposed. It’s like looking at a house lit up with Christmas lights and some of them are burnt out. Yes OCD

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Update: I bought the Rugged Ridge and drilled a 2 3/4 inch hole so it could fit over the backup camera, and that was fine. However the JK adapter for the brake light is NOT compatible with a JL. So the current Rugged Ridge LED brake light is not plug-n-play on a JL.

My other piece of feedback now that I have it on... is that I wish the rubber covering the LED's was smoke instead of white, would have a cleaner daytime look installed.

RR.JPG
I'm planning on installing my LED brake light tomorrow when I install the hinge reinforcement kit and the oversize spare kit. I was watching a video on the install tonight and saw that the camera mount that the brake light ring has to go over is wider at the back than it is on the front. You mentioned that you cut your hole to 2 3/4 inches.

1) How did you cut that size? what did you use?

2) When you mounted your light did you need that size of hole to fit?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
For the JL... Rugged Ridge Part #: 11585.06

Brake Light Ring (Rugged Ridge).jpg

Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! A glowing frisbee :) Should be nice day at the park.

OP
OP
Zoobie

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Too bad that it's not plug-n-play like the JK version... and that it requires splicing wires. If it had the adapter, it could be quickly and easily disconnected if you needed to

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Too bad that it's not plug-n-play like the JK version... and that it requires splicing wires. If it had the adapter, it could be quickly and easily disconnected if you needed to
This is the reason that I haven't pulled the trigger on the brake light ring yet.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Installed a brake light ring. It is hardwired right now. I'm still undecided if I like this. My wife prefers the OEM. I may install some waterproof quick-connects in case I want to swap with OEM or run both concurrently.

20190308_220003.jpg
Sponsored