Not open for further replies.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
Would someone please tell me what the purpose of this is?? Will it allow you to drive your Jeep with the engine completely submerged?? /s

Lol. Why would it need to be water proof?
Um, because it's supposed to turn your Jeep into a submarine. Snorkel opening is at like 6.5 feet, so that obviously allows travel through over 5-feet of water. /s

NOTE: This is all sarcasm, except the first question.

EDIT:

You're gonna run into way more issues way before you get to hydro lock.
^^THIS^^
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i like the looks of it. and even better when there's no cutting involved. the only thing i see being an issues are for those running the pillar lights.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
just looked at rugged ridge website and found these mounting brackets that would work with the snorkel.

11232.72_installed1.jpg

Sponsored

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Great concept, no cutting the hood.

Will it work with RHD and 2.2 Diesel? Airbox on same side, but battery on other side.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
You're gonna run into way more issues way before you get to hydro lock.
I know that, was trying to instill some humor. In seriousness what is the purpose of these other than converting my Jeep into a U-boat. Yes I know it might prevent water intrusion into the intake and perhaps in the grand scheme, move the intake away from dust, but what are the claims? Jeep claims you can cross 21" of water ,read that somewhere.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Lol. Why would it need to be water proof?
Most snorkels are waterproof to allow your depth of water crossing to be higher. This is just a desert intake. Shouldn’t be listed as anything other than that. The oval worm drive clamps do zero to keep the coupling properly sealed. For rugged I hope they look into a better system to clamp that before releasing it to the public.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Most snorkels are waterproof to allow your depth of water crossing to be higher. This is just a desert intake. Shouldn’t be listed as anything other than that. The oval worm drive clamps do zero to keep the coupling properly sealed. For rugged I hope they look into a better system to clamp that before releasing it to the public.
You realize there is much more to raising a vehicle's water crossing depth than just adding a snorkel? Attempting to ford deep water in a rolling computer is a bad idea.

Last edited:

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2019 JLUR
i havent looked at mine close enough to see where the air inlet is... older models its below the passenger headlight.... i dont think the depth of crossing is as much of a concern as the approach... if you are entering the water at a steep decline you could dip the front end in where the old pick up was......

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So lets get into what needs to be modified before U-boat status is achieved, you will have to run all the air lines from the transmission/Differentials to higher points probably the same height as the snorkel, water proof your Fuse box (easy) and then what else is there? I get this overall feeling that if you want to cross a crazy deep river and have a snorkel and a JL it's really not that hard to get it ready to perform this task.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I know that, was trying to instill some humor. In seriousness what is the purpose of these other than converting my Jeep into a U-boat. Yes I know it might prevent water intrusion into the intake and perhaps in the grand scheme, move the intake away from dust, but what are the claims? Jeep claims you can cross 21" of water ,read that somewhere.
Colder, cleaner air, especially when on dry dirt roads. They MIGHT increase fording depth if your axle breathers are extended and electronics are protected.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So lets get into what needs to be modified before U-boat status is achieved, you will have to run all the air lines from the transmission/Differentials to higher points probably the same height as the snorkel, water proof your Fuse box (easy) and then what else is there? I get this overall feeling that if you want to cross a crazy deep river and have a snorkel and a JL it's really not that hard to get it ready to perform this task.
Way more to it than that. Every single electrical connection needs to be waterproof. Probably need to relocate a good portion of the electronics. Spark plugs need to be sealed. Most vehicles that are prepped for deep water have most of the electronics removed.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.