Rugged Ridge JL/JT Snorkel kit installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Rugged Ridge is aware of it and they are replacing the inlet and adding a metal brace that snaps on to keep it from doing this again. He also mentioned that they are looking into redesigning the inlet to have the brace built in. Once I reached out to them they just needed a picture of the inlet and then they sent me the new inlet and brace right away.

Here’s a side by side of the old deformed one and the new setup. I think the heat may have gotten it since it was fine as of last May when I checked it, but after summer it was like this.

6557DE02-7849-4794-B414-046284238AAB.jpg
Cool. I just had mine out the other day and the 3d printed pieces are doing great as well.
Sponsored

Khaled

First Name
Khaled
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU 2019
Perfect angles. Thanks a lot. Looks like there is still room for extra controller boxes, etc.
Can you still open the fuse box without having to remove the snorkel tube?

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
You can not open the fuse box with out removing the snorkel tube. Luck it is easy to do.
Lol, ya, it didn't even occur to me when I installed it. Then I had to get in there the other day and I was like "this is gonna suck" but it was super easy, no where near as hard as when I installed it.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I see all these bent up and crushed ends on the molded plastic. I have not experienced that nor has my bud. I think that people are fighting the rubber sleeve down to tight. The big hose clamp just needs to be snug. I even believe that you could get away with out even using the hose clamps and still be ok.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I see all these bent up and crushed ends on the molded plastic. I have not experienced that nor has my bud. I think that people are fighting the rubber sleeve down to tight. The big hose clamp just needs to be snug. I even believe that you could get away with out even using the hose clamps and still be ok.
Oh, mine collapsed very quickly after install. Part of the issue was where the hose clamps were placed (not covered in instructions as to placement) but ultimately it's a bad design mixed with bad materials. Apparently they have addressed it now with some metal pieces but the 3d pieces I had done up have worked flawlessly for the last 6 months or so.
But ya, I am also pretty confident the hose clamps wouldn't be required either. It isn't like it's a high pressure application.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
If it makes y’all feel any better, RR and AEV still have no 3.0 snorkel options. We’ve got hauk and nothing, so nothing it is until the former two get their acts together.

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If it makes y’all feel any better, RR and AEV still have no 3.0 snorkel options. We’ve got hauk and nothing, so nothing it is until the former two get their acts together.
Any particular reason you don't like the Hauk?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Any particular reason you don't like the Hauk?
Longer run of plumbing to get to the other side of the engine bay, plus added bends says increased resistance to air flow until proven otherwise. I’m also not a fan of the intake pre-filter position/look. Least importantly, I think a driver-side snorkel would be a subtle nod to the torque monster under the hood.

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Longer run of plumbing to get to the other side of the engine bay, plus added bends says increased resistance to air flow until proven otherwise. I’m also not a fan of the intake pre-filter position/look. Least importantly, I think a driver-side snorkel would be a subtle nod to the torque monster under the hood.
Ah, valid points. I was just curious if it was a brand/quality/etc. thing or 3.0-specific issues. I have the 2.0T so the bends and length of run seem about the same between the all of the various options and I like how there's no cutting of the hood and a cleaner overall appearance with Hauk and RR vs. the others. Hauk runs $200 more than the RR on sale, but it's all aluminum and comes with its own airbox and washable filter so I have greater confidence in its ability to seal and deliver a clean air charge, plus I don't need to source a separate drop-in filter.

tl;dr I think I'm getting the Hauk :CWL:

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Ah, valid points. I was just curious if it was a brand/quality/etc. thing or 3.0-specific issues. I have the 2.0T so the bends and length of run seem about the same between the all of the various options and I like how there's no cutting of the hood and a cleaner overall appearance with Hauk and RR vs. the others. Hauk runs $200 more than the RR on sale, but it's all aluminum and comes with its own airbox and washable filter so I have greater confidence in its ability to seal and deliver a clean air charge, plus I don't need to source a separate drop-in filter.

tl;dr I think I'm getting the Hauk :CWL:
Kenny makes quality shit. You can't go wrong with his stuff.

maj-gladiator

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Clayton, I am going to have made these parts in ABS (my old 3D printer is PLA only), but before I go and pay someone $80 or so to make 4 (PC-ABS cost was double that), I wanted to verify the "100% infill" setting. Wouldn't that make these a solid block without the air grid? I admit to being mostly a noob on 3D printing.

From your Cults3D page:
3D PRINTING SETTINGS
100% infill, and use a high temperature plastic like ABS. Low temperature plastics may melt and cause problems for your engine.

(I also have the same concerns on how to install the Hauk breather kit and will address Rugged Ridge seal issues when installed; kind of wish I had just bought the Hauk River Raider snorkel instead.)

Great post, thanks. I bought a kit from a local company. Installing soon without worries about collapse. Again, thanks!

IMG_5801.jpg

phonto.JPG

IMG_5795.jpg

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I received a different response from Rugged Ridge when I reached out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rugged Ridge JL/JT Snorkel kit installed Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 12.56.26 PM
That's such bullshit. As soon as you tighten the clamps down, regardless of position, you can tell it will collapse.
Try it out without the 3d printed parts though for sure. I don't suggest you tighten clamps very much.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.