Sponsored

Rugged Ridge Amfib Low Mount Snorkel same as a cold air intake? Help me out!

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
Hi all - I feel pretty confident with wrenching and armor mods, but engine, transmission, and electrical are still a bit foreign to me. I’ve been looking into cold air intakes, and the Mopar one seems intriguing because it actually pulls from the outside once the hood is cut. But I don’t know if I want to cut the hood. My research on here is that the ones not actually pulling air from the outside likely do nothing except make the Jeep a bit louder. Does pulling air from outside the Jeep actually improve performance to a substantial level?

Then I saw people on here were referring to Rugged Ridge’s Amfib low and high mount snorkel as a CAI system, using snorkel and cold air intake almost interchangeably.

They’re not the same though, I’m guessing. Does Rugged Ridge’s cowl snorkel do the same thing Mopar‘s hood-cut CAI do, or does the Mopar and other “cold air intake” systems do more for performance (I know there’s upgraded dry or oil filters, etc. that go into dedicated aftermarket CAI systems)?

Kindergarten-level assistance and guidance welcome here! Thanks 👍
Sponsored

Big Hoss

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU
The Amfib low snorkel has the same effect as the Mopar kit. The difference is like you said, you don't have to cut the hood and it's reversible if you change your mind later. That being said, I like that they pull cooler air from outside of the engine compartment. Does it help with performance? I doubt you will see any gains on a stock motor. I installed it, (Amfib Low), because I have a pretty deep stream crossing on my property that submerges the nose of the Jeep briefly as you enter it. The factory air intake is just above and behind the passenger headlight. The Amfib moved the intake point higher and further back. Hope this answers your question.

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
For me this is the first vehicle I have owned that I think a CAI is a total waste on. There are those who say they are a waste in general unless coupled with a throttle body/tune/exhaust to help with any gains.

The Snorkel is cool but are you running in the desert with a lot of dust or fording deep streams because I think that is what it is used for. Unless of course you like the look.

I would NEVER cut my hood for something like this.

:like: :like:

OP
OP
BernJLUR

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ

Sponsored

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
sorry to revive an old thread but is the Mopar cold air intake compatible with Rugged Ridge amphib snorkel?

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
sorry to revive an old thread but is the Mopar cold air intake compatible with Rugged Ridge amphib snorkel?
Look at the install instructions for each. That's often a great way to learn how the product works. Based on my look, it seems the RR attaches to the side of the airbox while the Mopar CAI replaces the top if the airbox. Seems like they MIGHT work together.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
They may work together but what is even the point?
Sponsored