BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

A week ago in my '18 JLU, we were crusing out of Wildrose canyon into Panamint. Abruptly there was a tone coming from the dash around the gages, like ~ 600 hz electrical static, somewhat on/off intermittent, pretty irritating. Radio on/off, ventilation, engine rpm, in neutral--none made any difference.

Once over the hill toward Trona the tone stopped. This made me think about the radar station near Ballarat. Or if the two F16s that made low passes (cool!) were painting me...

Some interaction of jeep electronics with GHz radar? This guess might well be completely wrong. Anyone had a similar experience?
Sponsored

sportsguy

First Name
duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JLU Rubicon w/a snail
Occupation
Marketing
Haven't had anything like this happen, but now I want to go over there and check it out! We're not far from the radar on top of the hill for Point Mugu, but I doubt they'd be lighting up traffic for any reason, and the incoming planes fly right over our house, but again, why would they paint on their landing approach? ;)

In fairness, my wife tells me some of the music I listen to in my Rubicon is crap, but I don't think any of it sounds like radar dopplering me...:CWL::CWL:

OP
OP
BobW

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Haven't had anything like this happen, but now I want to go over there and check it out! We're not far from the radar on top of the hill for Point Mugu, but I doubt they'd be lighting up traffic for any reason, and the incoming planes fly right over our house, but again, why would they paint on their landing approach? ;)

In fairness, my wife tells me some of the music I listen to in my Rubicon is crap, but I don't think any of it sounds like radar dopplering me...:CWL::CWL:
It was pretty weird. It would cease below about 50mph (outside bandwidth?). A bit later on same trip I got two brief weak reoccurrences, one in view of the dome in the Randsburg area, the other passing Rosamond/Edwards. No idea, really...

Back in the mid-80s, my F16-pilot brother-in-law said when flying up to the Nellis range (aka Area 51), they could see cars abruptly slow on US95... he figured somehow the fighter radar pinged the car radar detectors...

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Was the noise your collision avoidance warning? I ask because there is an underpass near my house that sets off my collision avoidance warning about 50% of the time. The road passes under a BUSY Interstate and I think it might be radar detector beams setting mine off.

OP
OP
BobW

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Was the noise your collision avoidance warning? I ask because there is an underpass near my house that sets off my collision avoidance warning about 50% of the time. The road passes under a BUSY Interstate and I think it might be radar detector beams setting mine off.
I don't think so since my 2018 doesn't have the collision avoidance option.
(BTW, the Panamint Valley road is a good paved 2-lane in a somewhat remote desert valley; not much traffic, at least when CAL4WHEEL isn't present...)

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
i know one thing, we have been practice for strafe runs more than a few times so it makes me wonder if this has any merit.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Back in the 70s, driving north out of Ajo, AZ across the Luke AFB range, I used to get buzzed by various aircraft, including the brand new Warthog. Since all I had was AM radio, I have no idea if they were painting me.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I was assigned to a missile test area and we would often hear coming from the speakers of the vehicle about a one second buzz....more like a “zzzzp”......this would be repetitive about every 3 or four seconds. This happened anytime we were nearby or in the targeted field of radar. Even if the stereo was turned off this zzzzp would be audible.

if this sounds similar.... you may have been either close enough to a radar operation area or at an elevation that put your vehicle close to the narrowly targeted beam of the radar.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BobW

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I was assigned to a missile test area and we would often hear coming from the speakers of the vehicle about a one second buzz....more like a “zzzzp”......this would be repetitive about every 3 or four seconds. This happened anytime we were nearby or in the targeted field of radar. Even if the stereo was turned off this zzzzp would be audible.

if this sounds similar.... you may have been either close enough to a radar operation area or at an elevation that put your vehicle close to the narrowly targeted beam of the radar.
Thanks for the post! Close enough to my experience ("even if stereo was off"--exactly!) confirm radar was probably the cause, even if the sound pattern was different. There is an active radar station (old style rotating antenna) about a half mile east of the road. California's Panamint Valley is often visited by low level (500ft?) military flyovers.

PS I too had a '93 Cherokee 5sp before my JLU--a lot of fun for many years before I gave it up at 280k mi (a friend rebuilt it, it has a second life in eastern Washington countryside...)

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Looking for Mopar to come out with a Rubicon fitted system. should be one hell of a MOD

DVJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4door
A week ago in my '18 JLU, we were crusing out of Wildrose canyon into Panamint. Abruptly there was a tone coming from the dash around the gages, like ~ 600 hz electrical static, somewhat on/off intermittent, pretty irritating. Radio on/off, ventilation, engine rpm, in neutral--none made any difference.

Once over the hill toward Trona the tone stopped. This made me think about the radar station near Ballarat. Or if the two F16s that made low passes (cool!) were painting me...

Some interaction of jeep electronics with GHz radar? This guess might well be completely wrong. Anyone had a similar experience?
The military uses am frequency 315.9 in for Panamint Valley. when they approach that's the Frequency they use to request permission to enter the Jedi Transition to Star Wars Canyon, very cool stuff, google it. Amazing if you catch it in person. It's the low level flying training area right above Panamint Springs.

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
It was pretty weird. It would cease below about 50mph (outside bandwidth?). A bit later on same trip I got two brief weak reoccurrences, one in view of the dome in the Randsburg area, the other passing Rosamond/Edwards. No idea, really...

Back in the mid-80s, my F16-pilot brother-in-law said when flying up to the Nellis range (aka Area 51), they could see cars abruptly slow on US95... he figured somehow the fighter radar pinged the car radar detectors...
When you say "below about 50mph (outside bandwidth?)" are talking about Doppler Shift due to speed? Just curious.

OP
OP
BobW

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

The military uses am frequency 315.9 in for Panamint Valley. when they approach that's the Frequency they use to request permission to enter the Jedi Transition to Star Wars Canyon, very cool stuff, google it. Amazing if you catch it in person. It's the low level flying training area right above Panamint Springs.
Yeah, those guys (and gals too now, I guess) like to fly low and fast, so said my F16-pilot brother-in-law. Years ago he took me out to the Nellis range once when he had ground duty, pretty amazing.
Sponsored