Sponsored

Rubicon's front bumper

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon M/T 2dr, 2009 Nissan Xterra Off Road M/T with a 2" lift
Vehicle Showcase
Last Sunday I took a look at some new JLs at a dealership in Salt Lake City, and the front bumpers on the Rubicons didn't look right to me. I know the ends are supposed to be removable, but the bumpers I saw on the lot had full-length outer covers. Sure enough, when I looked at photos on Jeep.com, I discovered they're completely different. Does anyone know what's going on here? Did Jeep change the design of the front bumper? Are the ends no longer removable, or are they removed by first removing a full-length piece?

In this photo, I pulled the top image from Jeep.com and the bottom image from the dealership's website (notice the missing seams and bolts in the bottom image):

RubiFrontBumper.jpg
Sponsored

Grimm_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Last Sunday I took a look at some new JLs at a dealership in Salt Lake City, and the front bumpers on the Rubicons didn't look right to me. I know the ends are supposed to be removable, but the bumpers I saw on the lot had full-length outer covers. Sure enough, when I looked at photos on Jeep.com, I discovered they're completely different. Does anyone know what's going on here? Did Jeep change the design of the front bumper? Are the ends no longer removable, or are they removed by first removing a full-length piece?

In this photo, I pulled the top image from Jeep.com and the bottom image from the dealership's website (notice the missing seams and bolts in the bottom image):

RubiFrontBumper.jpg
The top is the steel bumper and the bottom is the Plastic bumper. You need to get the steel bumper package to remove the ends.

OP
OP
Chuck

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The top is the steel bumper and the bottom is the Plastic bumper. You need to get the steel bumper package to remove the ends.
Crap. I thought it came standard on the Rubi. Oh well, thanks for the reply, Grimm_E. I guess I'll just add aftermarket bumper to my list of things to buy down the road.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
As @Grimm_E said, all Rubicons come standard with the plastic bumper/non-removeable end caps. If you want removeable caps, you need to opt for the steel bumper package for like $1300 or so.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
It’s way cheaper to just get the steel bumper group packeaged with the Jeep. It’s much higher quality than most aftermarket bumpers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chuck

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe something like this will work!

bumper.jpg

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Maybe something like this will work!
Possibly. It’s a matter of taste as there are lots of aftermarket options, or soon will be. Make sure to check. I don’t know the manufacturer of that bumper. But there are lots of posts about companies saying their parts will fit without really testing. And don’t forget to look for a steel bumper skid to replace the flimsy air dam if you actually will off road.

Last edited:

Tridgerat

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I got the plastic bumpers and replaced the front and added a winch for around $1100. To each their own though. As far as I know the JK and JL are the same front bumper, with the rear being the only difference. The bumper I got was listed as a JK bumper and it fit just fine.

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
I got the plastic bumpers and replaced the front and added a winch for around $1100. To each their own though. As far as I know the JK and JL are the same front bumper, with the rear being the only difference. The bumper I got was listed as a JK bumper and it fit just fine.
That’s exactly what I plan to do!
Sponsored