Sponsored

Rubicon XR recon at altitude

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Does anyone have experience driving above 7000 ft? My JKU was a nightmare. Im wondering how it would handle going up the mountain passes.
Sponsored

Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR
It has been mentioned in several threads that the 3.6L NA engine does have power loss at altitude, and that the forced induction engines fair a bit better.

The XR package is only available on the two NA engine options offered by Jeep.

The 392 would likely suffer power loss as well, however its likely to be less noticeable due to the abundance of HP and Torque.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
No Wrangler-specific experience - but I can tell you that my turbocharged rigs (F150, and a turbodiesel) don't seem to suffer at all from altitude. Went over Monarch Pass (11,312 feet) with the F150...passing other vehicles the whole way. Made me smile, how effortlessly it handled the grades and altitude with the tranny staying in overdrive. I've done that pass with non-turbo gas rigs, took high rpms and lower gears.

So I'd say if you have the 2.0 turbo engine it should do fine.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I pulled my trailer to Ouray last fall and my 3.6 with 37s did fine.

Sponsored

gregeast

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
I live in Colorado and we have taken our '21 Rubicon with the 3.6 etorque on 35's over most of the major paved passes and multiple off road passes as well, including Mosquito Pass at 13k feet, without issue. The XR with more favorable gearing would be even less of an issue.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I live at 7,000 ft.

My XR does well up here. Sure, it’s stronger at lower altitude, but the 4.56s really allow the V6 to work in the meat of its powerband. Great combo.

OP
OP

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
No Wrangler-specific experience - but I can tell you that my turbocharged rigs (F150, and a turbodiesel) don't seem to suffer at all from altitude. Went over Monarch Pass (11,312 feet) with the F150...passing other vehicles the whole way. Made me smile, how effortlessly it handled the grades and altitude with the tranny staying in overdrive. I've done that pass with non-turbo gas rigs, took high rpms and lower gears.

So I'd say if you have the 2.0 turbo engine it should do fine.
love ford.More horses is the future as ev phases in over the next 25-50 years.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
3.6 manual, did fine in Co. Although interestingly the park sense and stability stuff went nutty every time I went above 11k.
cleared up as soon as I dropped lower in altitude.
Sponsored