Rubicon wheels on stock Sahara –– Answers

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Just put Rubi rims and tires on my stock Sahara. Thought I’d put the answers to all of the questions I had in one thread.

Fit:
- Perfectly. No rubbing. Even the spare.
- If you buy them with TPMS, the new sensors will sync to your vehicle automatically.
- Your original lug nuts fit fine
- All five Rubicon wheels easily fit into a JLU with the seats down

Noise:
- Yeah, they’re louder. Not like “Chad with 40s, a light bar and a beer in a Koozie” louder but definitely louder than the stock street tires–as one would expect.

MPG:
- I get about one MPG less with these on the highway (I have a 40 minute all-Highway cruise control commute every morning). They definitely feel heavier and take more gas petal effort to turn. I'm spending a lot less time in eighth gear on the highway which you'll probably only notice if you have OCD like me. Like the real OCD, not the kind we throw around like, "Oh, my house is so clean because I have OCD." Because we all know your house is only clean the one day a year you invite people over and it took your whole family, fourteen trash bags, and a relationship counselor to get it to where it is now. And we're just making conversation. It's not even all that clean. We can smell your dog, Karen.

Ride:
- They're much driftier. I just made up a word. It's not surprising given the type of tire but it's the first thing I noticed on the highway. If your Sahara had wandering issues, this will make them worse. It takes some concentration to not drive like you're drunk.
- They're more forgiving of hard bumps like pot holes and bridge joints. The knobs absorb a lot of harshness which is great for people who live in Maryland, where highways are built by blind orangutans.
- They're bouncier. In a good way. Like a truck. The way your grandfather would have wanted it before he died from polio.

Speedometer:
- Mine is the same. The tiny difference in size doesn't seem to have a big enough effect to matter. I checked it with a GPS app.

Look:
- I couldn't be happier. I mean, with enough medication we could all be happier, but the wheels look phenomenal. It completely changes the look of the whole vehicle. They stick out just the right amount and they're just the right amount of aggressive before you have to start calling your friends "brah" and get a calf tattoo.

What I wish I had known before:
Nobody wants your immaculate Sahara takeoffs. You know, just in case you talked your wife into letting you buy the Rubicon wheels under the guise that you'll "recoup some of the money by selling your Sahara rims." Had mine listed everywhere for $250 – flawless with TPMS – and finally sold them to someone who was putting them on a non-Jeep truck.

In my opinion, this upgrade is a great value if you don't want to open Pandora's box with a lift and 35s. When I crunched the numbers, I was looking at $3,000 for wheels/tires I wanted and $2,000 for a lift that included everything you'd eventually add on anyway. The Rubi wheels with TPMS were $1,200 and upgrade the look and feel enough to make it feel like a beefier vehicle.

Sahara Jeep 1.jpg

Sahara Jeep 2.jpg
Sponsored

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Just put Rubi rims and tires on my stock Sahara. Thought I’d put the answers to all of the questions I had in one thread.

Fit:
- If you buy them with TPMS, the new sensors will sync to your vehicle automatically.

Noise:
- Yeah, they’re louder. Not like “Chad with 40s, a light bar and a beer in a Koozie” louder but definitely louder than the stock street tires–as one would expect.

MPG:
- I get about one MPG less with these on the highway (I have a 40 minute all-Highway cruise control commute every morning). They definitely feel heavier and take more gas petal effort to turn. I'm spending a lot less time in eighth gear on the highway which you'll probably only notice if you have OCD like me. Like the real OCD, not the kind we throw around like, "Oh, my house is so clean because I have OCD." Because we all know your house is only clean the one day a year you invite people over and it took your whole family, fourteen trash bags, and a relationship counselor to get it to where it is now. And we're just making conversation. It's not even all that clean. We can smell your dog, Karen.

Ride:
- They're much driftier. I just made up a word. It's not surprising given the type of tire but it's the first thing I noticed on the highway. If your Sahara had wandering issues, this will make them worse. It takes some concentration to not drive like you're drunk.
- They're more forgiving of hard bumps like pot holes and bridge joints. The knobs absorb a lot of harshness which is great for people who live in Maryland, where highways are built by blind orangutans.
- They're bouncier. In a good way. Like a truck. The way your grandfather would have wanted it before he died from polio.

Speedometer:
- Mine is the same. The tiny difference in size doesn't seem to have a big enough effect to matter. I checked it with a GPS app.

Look:
- I couldn't be happier. I mean, with enough medication we could all be happier, but the wheels look phenomenal. It completely changes the look of the whole vehicle. They stick out just the right amount and they're just the right amount of aggressive before you have to start calling your friends "brah" and get a calf tattoo.

Nobody wants your immaculate Sahara takeoffs. You know, just in case you talked your wife into letting you buy the Rubicon wheels under the guise that you'll "recoup some of the money by selling your Sahara rims." Had mine listed everywhere for $250 – flawless with TPMS – and finally sold them to someone who was putting them on a non-Jeep truck.

In my opinion, this upgrade is a great value if you don't want to open Pandora's box with a lift and 35s. When I crunched the numbers, I was looking at $3,000 for wheels/tires I wanted and $2,000 for a lift that included everything you'd eventually add on anyway. The Rubi wheels with TPMS were $1,200 and upgrade the look and feel enough to make it feel like a beefier vehicle.

Sahara Jeep 1.jpg

Sahara Jeep 2.jpg
Looks great! Curious how you mounted the lights on the plastic bumper?

OP
OP

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
This is a great list.

I had the same experience on everything except three things:

1. It actually made my steering feel tighter. No idea why, but it felt less wandering. New steering box is going to fix all that anyway.
2. I quickly sold the stock wheel/tire set for $500 on craigslist. Could be a different market or just got lucky but just to let people know there are buyers. Since I bought the Rubicon takeoffs for $800 this was a net $300 upgrade and easily escaped the wife's attention.
3. Speedometer is off 1 MPH at 40, 2MPH at 75. Probably not enough to make a difference in anything but my OCD.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Fit:

Noise:

MPG:

Ride:

Speedometer:

Look:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon wheels on stock Sahara –– Answers Sahara Jeep 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon wheels on stock Sahara –– Answers Sahara Jeep 2
This looks terrific! Congrats. $1200 for the Rubi stuff less $250 for your existing stuff! $950 for a TERRIFIC upgrade! Now, with all the money you saved, rip those plastic steps off and add some frame mounted step rockrails and you will be ready to do Nearly anything and you will look tough doing it!!!! well done!

Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
3. Speedometer is off 1 MPH at 40, 2MPH at 75. Probably not enough to make a difference in anything but my OCD.
If anyone else swaps out their stock for take-offs, or looking at aftermarket install and you don't have a tazor or similar device to reprogram for tire size, look at tiresize.com at their comparison tool. It will tell you speed differences between old and new.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon wheels on stock Sahara –– Answers Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.31.35 PM

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
So I have a 2023 Saraha and just got some brand new Willy’s rims and I am putting on some KO2 285/70/17 changed from the stock 255/70/18. As shown above. the Firestones on the Willy’s are too narrow.
Sponsored